Cultivated Reef

6.6 gal pico start to finish

Prowland

everything looks good! i just wish i could find that tank somewhere in Canada... i love the shape of it.

the only problem with hiding the powerhead, is when you have to take it out to clean it. it may look hidious now, but you'll probably get used to it. and by the time you do, it'll be covered in coraline anyways.

Tim

dont mean to hijack but supahtim ware do you live in canada? ive seen tanks just like those at petcetra before

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay so the coral I have is a button polyp which is in the zoanthid family right?

On a simmilar note, I was feeding my clown and one of the polyps got a small piece of food and it brought it to its mouth and ate it. It was really cool to see!

i live in Toronto. Petcetera is American. i might have to take a trip down to Buffalo sometime soon...

Prowland: it's alright to add a few frags at a time. as long as you don't shove a whole bunch of things into the tank at once it'll be fine. and that coral you have is in fact a button polyp. i don't think it's part of the zoanthid family, but i do know that they are much easier to keep than zoanthids. it's all lookin good though! i'm jealous. lol

Tim

Went to Premium Aquatics today and picked up some frozen mysis and a bag of purigen.

I also got a Caulastrea furcata (candycane coral) and a Tubastraea sp (orange cup coral)

They looked neat and were $15 each.

Is a turkey baseter the way to go for spot feeding the cup coral?

I will post some pics tonight.

Okay so here are some more pics!

The candycane:

342d3be7.jpg

The orange cup coral:

811589a9.jpg

Porcelan Crab:

d5ab4f1a.jpg

I am having some trouble with the cup coral as it does not look the best. I have submitted some questions about it in the coral forum.

Off to the store to get some RO water for top off!

Here is a pic of the cup coral during feeding time. I am going to move him to the center and more in the sand so it will have room to open up more and also eventualy grow larger.

26209250.jpg

And here is a picture of my scarlet hermit

PICT0060.jpg

And a better pic of the anemone crab

7436fc99.jpg

Let me know what you think about the corals and tank so far!!

Zero: Yeah I got rid of them because I wanted to go with the maxijet and elite PH's. The did work really well IMO and the extra carbon and sponge filters did not hurt. I am using one in my 40gal FW tank for extra water movement down low in the tank. Now I just have them sitting around collecting dust. The only downside was that they did trap stuff in them that needed cleaned out more often than a normal PH.

Thanks!

I am contemplating on doing a fuge/sump thing with a 2.5 gal AGA. I am going to post a scan of what I want to do in the morning.

How much light would I need to keep some cheato in the fuge?

cheato grows good under most lights but not like 10000k but more like the yellowish color 6700k so i would use a lamp with a regular bulb :happy: i am also setting up a 2.5g fuge look in the refugium discussion for my blueprints

• 2 weeks later...

I got my AC 50 from petsmart last night for 20.00 and am going to make a surface skimmer mod to attach to it. I am going to take some pics in the process and see what everyone thinks.

I am also going to be makeing it into a fuge. I was going to run the lights on for 24/7 What is the best way to do this and not have to light up the room all night?

Or can I just run them the same time as my lights are on and still have it be good for the tank?

Okay so I didnt get around to making the surface skimmer mod for the AC50 but i did take a neat shot of my candycane about 20 mins after lights out:

th_2c92d633.jpg

The one in front is looking straight at me haha.

The GF went to the LFS and decided to suprise me with a High Fin Red Banded Goby for my birthday on the 20th. I was wondering if this was too much fish for the tank. I do the water changes every week and such.

The little guy swam around for a min and then went off and hid. Hope to see more of him tomorrow so I can take some pictures!

Off to bed now.

Get a little azoo palm light for the chaeto and run the lights on a reverse cycle. So you turn off your main lights, turn on your fuge, turn off your fuge, turn on your main.

That is the reverse photo cycle... it work the best to stabalize the ph right?

Correct.

And don't forget to cover the top of your tank because the goby will jump. Get eggcrate from Home Depot in the lighting section. You get a big piece for 6 bucks.

I have a plastic top on it where the only hole is the one by the filter... should i fix a pice of the eggcrate there or will the water current hold him back?

He has found a nice little cave under some of my candycane. He came out to eat this morning which is a good sign!

I am going to make that skimmer mod today. So in the next few days if anyone has a small amount of cheato they want to sell then I am looking! Thanks.

So after a while you get really tired of trying to keep this tank clean and not scratch it at the same time.... so I went and got a 5.5 AGA from petco. Got it for $5.50 with the sale thats going on.

th_0034e911.jpg

I purchased an AC50 from petsmart $20.00

th_73f4dae2.jpg

Got some plumbing stuff to make a surface skimmer mod to it. $2.00 for a 90 degree elbow, T-connect, reducer, and like a yard of 1/2in pipe.

th_86c7222d.jpg

My great tools and wonderful helper.

th_c2a8b7ac.jpg

th_abbc2d4b.jpg

So what I did was make the measurement by eye and with precision cutting got it right the 10th time haha.

th_016e8e29.jpg

th_c9cc2b9a.jpg

After that I cut some slits in the reducer and drilled multiple holes in the pipe just below to prevent the gurgling sound.

th_c1561007.jpg

I filled the tank up with some water and thought that the little mod did a great job and that it was well worth the $2.00 and 15 mins it took to make! I still need to drill a few more holes but it should work for my purpose.

Tell me what you think about this!

• 2 weeks later...
Get eggcrate from Home Depot in the lighting section. You get a big piece for 6 bucks.

it's like $20 a sheet at my hd, and it only comes in 5x2 foot sheets. kinda ###ed me off...

Archived