Cultivated Reef

6.6 gal pico start to finish

Prowland

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gman91: I was wanting to use something that helped buffer the pH. I dont think the moon sand does. Can I mix something that would be benifical. I like the look of the black sand!

Nuhtty: It is acrylic.

Thanks!

thats a very nice tank! how much was it? i like the longness of it. ill be watching this thread cuz of the nice tank. :D

Thanks for the comments!

rleon3003: The tank was 49.99 from petco. I got 10% off because the box was torn, so I got it for 45.00

irishtexan

What do you plan on keeping? Fish and coral wise.

texan

What do you plan on keeping fish and coral wise?

texan

Texan: I am not exactly sure as to what I want to keep... This being my first try at a reef tank I am going to look more into the beginner stuff.

I am still debating on the lighting. With it being 9" deep and only 8" wide would the 28W light work for me?

Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

irishtexan

I would say more light. I would go like 60- 65 watts. This would help keep many types of corals. For fish you could do 2 small gobies, 1 firefish, or 1 clown, etc.

as far as sand goes, the salt should buffer your pH, so tahitian moon sand shouldn't present any issues other than making detritus stand out, but with regular water changes you should be able to keep that clean. if you REALY want the buffering capability combined with the black sand look, carib sea makes a black/white combo of aragonite (commonly referred to as "oreo sand"). i'd definitely recommend the 65 watt light over the 20, and actually you could fit a 130w aqualight over it... now THAT would be awesome B)

pets: I was looking at that light but wont the 130W be too much light. That is almost 20W/gal. I think I will look into that oreo sand!

Let me know... ordering that light thursday

I am also going to keep a running total on cost. As a new reefer it was hard to get an idea of cost for a new tank!

6.6 gal desk tank - 45.00

powerhead - Free... It came with a goldfish bowl

Thermometer - 1.99

Oceanic natural sea salt mix - 3.99 per 5 gal mix X3

Total: 59.00

It's not acrylic, it's polysterene, and it does scratch very easy.

I have one (not set up) and there's been a few posted on the board. most look pretty decent, but the small front-back measurement makes for a bit of a challenge for good looking aquascape.

I was considering getting a cheap 24" T5 fixture for mine.

Texan: I have not started doing that yet because i do not have my light. I am getting the 62W light thursday.

pets: I was looking at that light but wont the 130W be too much light. That is almost 20W/gal. I think I will look into that oreo sand!

too much light? pfft! obsurd! lol you could keep sps and clams with no trouble at all under that light, although the 10wpg would work too, lol. it IS only 9 inches, so you don't NEED a lot of light, but it shouldn't hurt anything.

So I went to the lfs on my lunch break and found some more stuff that I wanted to get...

I decided to scrap the elite powerhead and go with two of these:

PICT0026.jpg

PICT0022.jpg

The box says it gives me 70gph each and there is a filter and compartment for carbon. (on sale @ 5.99 ea)

I got one for each end due to the length of the tank. Is it better to have them alternate or on all the time??

I also bought a test kit from Red Sea (18.00 on sale as well)

PICT0027.jpg

I am going to use Oceanic salt for this tank(3.50 for 5 gal mix). Has anyone used it?

PICT0017.jpg

Here is a few more tank shots with the new equipment:

PICT0023.jpg

PICT0025.jpg

I am ordering my light tomorrow! Cant wait to get this going!!

Any more Ideas on what to keep in it?

6.6 gal, 65W 50/50, I think the flow should be around 140 with the new pumps.

Total cost so far: $100.00 Not to bad I think!

I really like the tank's dimensions--if it didn't scratch so easily, I'd buy it.

ditto. it takes a lot of self-control to resist it whenever i stop by there, lol, i always have to remind myself about dealing with scratches and how much of a pain it is to scrub off algae.

Archived