Coral Vue Hydros

6.6 gal pico start to finish

Prowland

oh man.. you are gonna love that goby and pistol shrimp pair! they may cause a bit of a sandstorm, but they are so fun to watch. sometimes my goby gets super ###ed off, and it'll open it's mouth and i swear you can see right down it's throat! it's hilarious.

your tank looks amazing btw. i really like the short but long look you got going on there. you should probably stick to softies and *maybe* some lps. any sps would be a p.i.t.a. to keep in such a small nano, although it's been done before. and you got quite a bit of flow going on there. i only have around 15x. lol it might be why i have hair algae too though... but my corals seem to not mind.

best of luck with your tank in the future,

Tim

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you can make a simple surface skimmer by inverting a powerhead and attaching a plastic cup with the top cut like slots of a surface skimmer. that would cost you literally nothing (except time and a little effort!)

I was in a LFS yesterday and saw a fission set up in a sump for a 10gal and it was working its little butt off. He said that he went through 3 before he got a good one. But he also said it was broke in after day 1 when he got the good one. I think i am going to try the aquaclear attachment on my AC 70 because the LFS does not offer returns on the Fission because of the reliability. I will tell you all how it works out.

Thank you for your replies!!!

Happy 4th!

I was also thinking about getting another 2 lbs or so of live rubble and making an arc over the middle valley. What is the best stuff to glue the rubble together??

montevallofalcon11

No personal experience, but I have only heard horrid reports about Skilters.

PS: I love your rockwork, making me wish I had gotten more small pieces when I started mine out instead of the larger ones.

Thanks montevallofalcon11

Update: I have purchased a Porcelain Anemone Crab I will take a picture and upload later... anyone have any experience with these?

Here is what I have decided on doing with the tank....

In the next two weeks I am going to get my satalliet 65W CF

2x JBJ SP Series Dual Output powerheads

remove the 2 internal filters ... replace with PH's

AC 70 power filter fuge mod

Fission nano skimmer... for $20 I will give it a try

Kent pro 12" scraper

Eheim-Jager Heater 50W

I also have my eye on a rock with 3 kinds of Zoos on them. I think it will be a nice starter for me. Plus its like a 3 for one deal!

Where do you go to see about modding an AC in that link? I went there and all I see are a bunch of other links

That was the exact link where I got the idea for the fuge mod! Thank you

Here is a picture of the porcelain crab I have... not my actual crab though

212w3_porcelain_crab2.jpg

montevallofalcon11

It's definately a good mod. The dremeling of the bulkheads is a bit tricky though. Hopefully you won't end up with a bloody finger like I did. Although, its never really YOUR power tool until some of your blood is on it. :D

echo-bravo 4-19
I dont know why all my previous pictures will not load.... what is the best site to host images???

yea icant see them either i had seen them before but i cant see them anymore i use photobucket .

So I am going to repost some of the pics here and say what I have learned thus far with my nano tank...

The tank (6.6gal bookshelf 24"x8"x9") $45.00

It is polystyrene and it does scratch if your not careful

53498c64.jpg

The current equipment (stock power filter, two cascade internal filters) $12.00

I am going to get a makijet 400 and a jbj dual output PH to replace the internal filters and do a AC70 fuge mod this weekend)

PICT0023.jpg

PICT0025.jpg

The surface aggitation shot

I think I am getting good flow with what is on it

6.jpg

The salt I am using (Oceanic) $3.50/5lbs

PICT0017.jpg

I started with crushed coral and 5lbs of Cured LR $40.00 for rock and $8.00 for the crushed coral. I switched to the LS because it looks better in the tank

Some life from the LR

83dbb5fb.jpg

The Live Sand switch 10lbs $18.00 Also added 4lbs of LR rubble $8.00

I also found out about premiumaquatics.com Check them out!!! Great prices and even better customer service! My favorite place since I am close to them so I can save on shipping!

83dbb5fb.jpg

The drip method to get new purchases ready to go into home tank.

All you need is a small bucket and some air-line tubing $2.50 It works great!

PICT0024.jpg

Current stocking as of now:

1 porcilen crab

1 scarlet hermit

3 blue leg hermits

3 snails... they are multiplying What should I do?????

10lbs LS

9lbs LR

1 40g bag MatrixCarbon in the PF plus some LS and LR

Getting this weekend

AC70 to mod into a fuge, 2 PH, 65W CF satallite + moonlight, Fission skimmer, and MY FIRST CORAL!!! WAAAHOOOOOO

Now the big spending can begin.... any suggestions on what I can put in a 5gal tank with 65W (13W/gal) and tons of flow (69x/hour)???

All test are great 0 0 0 8.2 1.024

Water change of 1.5gal/week

Thanks and sorry about the pics messing up

Awesome. Can't wait to see the coral!

I have 5.5G tank that is cycling and I have an AC70 I really like it. Its also extremly quite.

HTH

texx

I am going out to buy my AC70 or 50 and do the fuge mod and will take pictures of it in the process.

On another note... I got some cool news today! Where I work they have lots of acrylic and some other type of plastic that is stronger.... and I am going to make a tank for free!!!

Back to the 6.6... Tomorrow I go to get the light and other stuff from premiumaquatics!!! I can't wait!

Okay so here is what I am using after the trip to premium aquatics.

Satallite 65W CF $60.00

Maxijet 400 $13.00

Finnex 25W Heater $12.00

I also bought a False perc. clown fish... decided not to pay $35 for shipping on a $15 red banded goby.

I got a small 4-5 polyp frag of some green zoo's with orange rim. They kind of look like key lime pie. It was only $5 so I got it for my 1st coral! Wahooo

I put the light on, PH in and heater in and did all the acclimation stuff with the false perc. like in the pics above (drip method).

The zoo's opened up almost instantly!

I will take pics when I get back later today.

I went into petco to get the filter but they do not honor the online price so I am going to order it here soon. I still have the HOB filter that came with it with some LR and a bag of matrix carbon in it.

The MaxiJet looks huge in the tank... I will just have to get some more LR rubble and pack in around it to hide it.

everything looks good! i just wish i could find that tank somewhere in Canada... i love the shape of it.

the only problem with hiding the powerhead, is when you have to take it out to clean it. it may look hidious now, but you'll probably get used to it. and by the time you do, it'll be covered in coraline anyways.

Tim

Okay so here is the new FTS with the Satallite 65W light:

PICT0029.jpg

A few pics of the fish... still thinking of a name for her:

PICT0032.jpg

PICT0034.jpg

Sorry they are blurry... I am too tired to mess with the camera

The Maxijet 400:

PICT0030.jpg

Finnex external heater control:

PICT0041.jpg

The Zoo frag that I got for $5:

PICT0031.jpg

PICT0035-1.jpg

And for good measure the fish food:

PICT0042.jpg

I am going back this coming weekend to pick up a few more frags. Is it okay to add a few at a time??

I am also using catalina sea water for the water changes. Does anyone else use this??

Tell me what you think!!!

Archived