Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Clam Advice

Billa

I have just finished cycling my tank, It is a 20g curved tank with custom components and 150g per hour canister filter. Lighting is a 150w mh with 14,000k buld and i was just wondering if anyone could tell me what my limitations were in getting a clam at some point in the future. Eventually I am planning to get a bigger tank and i know that they do grow.

Clams grow slowly and do need calcium additive to promote growth. Croceas and Maximas need high lighting, therefore, put clams directly under MH and near the surface. Deresas don't need as much light and you can place it away from MH or in sand. Get clams there're 3"+ for they've better survival rate. Dose with phytoplankton every other day to suppliment photosynthesis.

Clams grow slowly and do need calcium additive to promote growth. Croceas and Maximas need high lighting, therefore, put clams directly under MH and near the surface. Deresas don't need as much light and you can place it away from MH or in sand. Get clams there're 3"+ for they've better survival rate. Dose with phytoplankton every other day to suppliment photosynthesis.

My tank is only 18 or so inches high, would i need to put the maximas right at the top or would the light penetration be ok throughotu the tank. Im aware of the supplementation and have several articles printed out. Partly the main reason i invested in my mh was becaues of clams and some of the more light needing sps corals.

Put your Maxi near the top to absorb as much light as possible. I've a 42g Hex w/175w MH and my Maxi is about 4" below water line directly under MH. 18" is too deep for your 150w of MH to penetrate.

Archived