Pod Your Reef

Clam Question

Gerber77

Will any type of clam survive in a Nano Cube 12 Deluxe. I think there is a total of 48 watts of pc lighting.

Yes all would be

:huh: negative

i wouldn't recommend any clams be kept in a 12g tank. the water params fluctuate too much. you definitely couldn't keep a high light clam in there (i.e. maxima or crocea). i have never kept a lower light clam before, so i can't really speak to their lighting needs, but they typically get way too big for a 12g tank, so i would have to say no.

mushroom head

Fishguy,I have seen your 12g,there is no clams in it. And you have not been keeping it for 3 years. But you have a nice yellow tang in there.

Fishguy,I have seen your 12g,there is no clams in it. And you have not been keeping it for 3 years. But you have a nice yellow tang in there.

edit:

none of that please. thanks.

Sea Pickle

I've been keeping baby aquacultured squamosa and maxima clams in my 12 gal DX for 6 months and both are doing great so far-- actually growing!... The maxima will probably need to be upgraded to a stronger light system later on (which I intend to do) but they really don't need blazing metal halides as babies. If you want to try a clam, start with a small aquacultured squamosa. Baby clams don't need as much light, aquacultured clams are more accustomed to captive conditions and squamosas tolerate lower lighting.

While we all need to aim to provide optimum for our critters, the clams we treasure as rare and delicate (and pay as much as $100 for) are sold on the street as sushi in stacks of 10 for 5 dollars in Phillippines, so I don't feel too guilty about about putting captive bred ones in my "less than perfect" tank where I do everything possible to keep them happy. I say go for it!

They removed my "OWNED" picture I put up there.

Apparently calling out frauds and liars around here is a no-no.

I can see why...better to spread the myth that these animals are easy to care for. Good for you nano-reef. Killing crocea, one mantle at a time.

There are more constructive ways of getting your point across. Simply posting a picture that says "OWNED" does not benefit anyone.

Deresa is the only clam that can do without strong lighting. Maximas, and Croceas have strong lighting needs. Clams 3" and less rely more on phytoplankton to survive due to the lack of Symbiotic algae zooxanthellae for photosynthesis. You can get away with low lighting for small clams if you dose.

• 2 weeks later...

It can take clams a very long time to die. There are many people with "success" stories that really have a starving clam that just hasn't died yet. Now, there are defeinitely people who have defied the odds and kept high-light clams going in small tanks, but it is very risky. Some clams do better than others due to size, age, and history (aquacultured vs. ocean-caught and PC-raised vs. MH raised).

With that said, I tend to agree that most clams are not appropriate for the NC deluxe 12g because of insufficientt light from the PCs. I think the derasa would be a fine choice, but keep in mind that clams are very sensitive to flunctuations in the tank parameters.

I bought a crocea from my LFS because the LFS told me it was a derasa. I did not know much about clams at the time. Anyway, it did well for a while but it died a slow death under 2x28W PCs. Everything else in my tank was doing great. I suspect it was the lighting, but there really is no way to be sure.

Hope that helps.

I almost forgot... clams can get big. The derasa is one of the bigger ones. Squamosa might be better. Here are the sizes found in the nature:

Tridacna gigas - up to 3' long

Tridacna derasa - up to 2' long

Tridacna squamose - up to 16" long

Tridacna maxima - up to 14" long

Tridacna crocea - up to 6" long

Hippopus hippopus - up to 16" long

I got this from:

http://www.reefs.org/library/talklog/r_gent_020898.html

Good luck and let us know how your clam does should you decide to get one.

Archived