Innovative Marine Aquariums

attaching clams

heron

Hello

I am getting a crocea. I have got some marine putty and would like to make a base for it.

How do i go about doing it to make sure that the base fits the clam?

Many thanks! :)

I just sit my clams on large frag disks and they attach themselves.

A shallow bowl-shape or "half shell" shape works really well too.

just to be sure you know this:

The clam attaches itself, you do not attach the clam

It will attach to anything if it is happy

never force a clam to be somewhere, if you do it will essentially kill it through stress. The safest thing to do is to set it in the sand with high light and decent water movement.

Hello

I am getting a crocea. I have got some marine putty and would like to make a base for it.

How do i go about doing it to make sure that the base fits the clam?

Many thanks! :)

DO NOT stick that clam. You can place it on the sand and it will attach itself. Sticking it somewhere can cause stress and it will die on you.

DO NOT stick that clam. You can place it on the sand and it will attach itself. Sticking it somewhere can cause stress and it will die on you.

Thank you for all your replies.

I have a nice flat surface on one of my live rocks. I am planning to place the clam there. Is it ok to put it there or do I need to put it on sand? Thing is, I do have not sand in my tank.

Croceas like rocks, yes. Be sure your calcium and alk are well-balanced, and of course you need metal halides.

• 3 weeks later...
MentalDragon
Thank you for all your replies.

I have a nice flat surface on one of my live rocks. I am planning to place the clam there. Is it ok to put it there or do I need to put it on sand? Thing is, I do have not sand in my tank.

Be careful.... I thought I had a place all nice for mine and it ended up just falling off...

1. Start it low to acclimate it to the light.

2. If there is a pice of rock you want it on... put it on the substrate and set it on it to see if it will attach. If it does, then you could move it up...

3. The clam decides where it wants to attach to...

I knew mine liked the spot I put it on because it almost instantly attached itself.

Unfortunately I got mine because I felt sorry for it. It was unhealthy and I'm trying to nurse it back.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=89409

Archived