Pod Your Reef

Pico1's 55

pico1

Ok, I'll have to figure out what my budget will be this month for corals, as you can see on page 2 I've been spending a lot latley on corals and I've already got a few corals being held for me for at the June meeting. I'll PM you when I know exactly how many I want.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, spending a lot comes easily when you set up a new tank. :) basically, the only reason i ever frag out my alien eye colony is to rustle up some cash for more coral or other tank specific needs. i try to spend big on a few prime pieces and then let them grow out so i can trade/sell for other things i need/want. i think it's a decent way to make the hobby a bit self-sustaining. :)

btw, is that a xenia in the top center of your tank?? if so, that is the THICKEST single stalk of xenia i have ever seen. lol. amazing, man.

I have 2, 20" 150w models as you can see in my sig. I don't have a glass top and I have a rotating fan behing the tank to blow across the surface. The fan only runs when the sunpods are on so my tank stays at a constant 78 degrees day and night. It would probally run cooler is it wasn't in a canopy too. I don't get too much evaporation though, mabey 1.5 gallons a week.

How much space do you have between the waters surface and the lights. Im seriously thinking about getting these. I run 4x96watt PCs on mine now and run about the same temp as yours. But my lights are only about 6" off the waters surface. Thanks!

The fixture is about 4" off the surface, but the actuall bulb is about 6". Awesome fixture! You won't be dissapointed! :)

Also Yoshid, yeah that is a single stalk. It's was from john's place and it colored up and grew like mad. I fragged all the other stalks for MARS members at the May meeting.

Here is a close up of the xenia. I still plan on adding a clam, a starkii damsel, some pink birdsnest, and some more zoas. Mabey a mandarin too if I can find one that eats prepared foods.

1100022.jpg

TTT

:huh: did you just bump your member's tank thread? lol. :lol: that's probably the funniest thing i've ever seen anyone on n-r.com do...ever. :) tank looks good...you can't expect people to say more than that, bud. just calm down on not having people look at your thread and enjoy your tank...remember that you're in this hobby for your enjoyment-- not for attention from people you don't know. :) besides, i said your tank is looking great...and my opinion matters, like, ten times more than anyone elses cuz i'm Yoshiod9, top 20 poster on n-r.com. :P (that last bit was definitely me being facetious!) :)

-danny

Yeah your right. It's just been boring here on my thread...no flaming, no suggestions, no criticism, just the usual "looks good". I've seen other members do thisto their tank threads too so I thought it was the norm. Atleast I'm not so attention hungry to post a thread titled, "should a kill myself?, poll". BTW you have by far the best sig on n-r.com, makes me laugh every time. :)

well, the good thing is that people really think that it looks good! :) that means you're definitely doing something right. you do have a point about the attention hungry 'should i kill myself' thing...lol. i guess it is better to bump your own tank thread than create a ridiculous thread like that.

i've learned that the more i am active in the forum, the more hits i had to my thread (which i haven't touched in a long, long time...i definitely need to update it!). so, just stay active here and people will respond...usually. lol. :D

-danny

sounds good. Are you going to be at the grand opening of the new store on dewey and madison? Its june 1st. I'm hoping that the store will be close to or as good of a store as John's place since I'm so close.

that's the store that is taking over aquaworld (i think was the name, right?), right? if so, probably not...unless i hear fantastic things about it from everyone. i don't really care for many of the stores in our area (besides john's and aqualife)...i'd rather spend the gas money and toll charges and go to the bay area stores! :) but, if it's really sweet, i'll have a new, cool shop to go to! :D

Yeah John has the best store in the area as far as I'm concerned. He said he is the only LFS with a quarintine tank, how sad is that! :P The thing is I used to work at aquaworld and It's less than a mile away from my house so I'm really hoping it will be a quality store. I called the new owner and asked him when I could have an interview with him or If I could just work there my old hours since I already have the experence. He said he would call me a week later to set-up an interview. It's been what, 8 weeks since I've heard from him. I haven't met the guy personally so I can't say what his buisness ethics are like but I've only heard bad things about him. The other day I stopped by because the door was open to the shop and they REALLY cleaned the place up. I'll let you know if the store is any good or not.

I'll be getting a paletta baby blue frag, 3 heads of frogspawn and a pink birdsnest tomorrow. I'll post pics once there in.

just pulled a dead chromis off my seio's intake :( . I fixed it though so no more will get caught. I now have 3 chromis in the tank, should I buy 1 or 2 tomorrow? I've heard they like to be in odd numbers but am not sure.

Got some new sps, an acro, and some frogspawn today. I'll post a pic of the frogspawn when it opens up but here are some coral pics and a FTS.

247007.jpg

247002.jpg

247003.jpg

247001.jpg

247004.jpg

nice monti, pico!! that looks like a spongodes (or something similar to that species!)...good pick up! where did you get that guy from? my gf and i stopped by john's this afternoon and she picked up a few frags of random monti species and i picked up a rabbitfish. :) i needed something to help control all the damn caulerpa in my tank!

tank is really coming together, man! good work!!

Thanks! Your right it is a spongodes. Damn your good. I got it from Justin74 in a moonlight trade. If you look a my above pics, i got that big acro from John today. I'm too scared to let any caulpera in my tank. I think it's considered by the sate of CA to be an invasive species.

Phil: Its a spongodes. Thanks!

I could just see a swat team breaking into your house saying, "This is the tang police, put your hands up! We've been transfered to the caulerpa department..." lol, I wonder how CA enforces that kind of law, mabey you just can't dump it into a river or the ocean.

Archived