inTank Media Baskets

Update on my 20H

Travis

Hey guys, here are some update pictures on my 20H SPS tank.

Angle-Top-Shot.jpg

This A. Validia frag bleached after I moved it to the top back. It's in a new spot now and I hope it makes a good recovery.

Bleached-Validia.jpg

The following two pictures are of an Acro that I bought that had a green base and pink polyps, now it's has a creamy colored base and purple/blue polyps!

Bottum-Left-Acro.jpg

Bottum-Left-Acro-2.jpg

My Purple Bonsai turned into a Brown Bansai, not sure why...

Brown-Bonsai.jpg

This digitata was brown, but as you can see the polyps are turning pink :D

Brown-Pink-Digitata.jpg

Bush Acro

Bush%20Acro.jpg

Cali Tort, it's grown alot and you can see where it is shooting up to make mor branches from the base.

Cali-Tort.jpg

Efflo/Soli

Efflo.jpg

An Encrusing Montipora

Encrusting-Monti.jpg

Green Slimer

Green%20Slimer.jpg

Orange Digitata, this thing is a FAST grower.

Oraqnge-Digatata.jpg

Yellow/Green Tennius

Other-Tennius.jpg

Pink/Orange Monti Cap (I accidently broke it [several times] so there are piece of it scattered all over that area)

Pink-Orange-Monti-Cap.jpg

Small frag of a Bush Acro

Small-Green-Acro.jpg

Brown/Green Tennius

Tennius.jpg

Table Acro

Yellow-Green-Table-Acro.jpg

And finaly, the FTS

FTS.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I stared out with 3 lbs of LR and 30 lbs of base rock, coraline growth is slow, but I am begining to see speckles of it all over the starboard.

Travis,

I just read the RC thread. I would try switching out to a 14k bulb, adding another fish, and maybe start feeding the sps with phyto. This seems like the best route to go. I wouldn't add the sand, I think you should stick with the BB method. It's funny, you have the opposite problem as most people, your tank is TOO clean. lol. :lol:

Yeah, I know.

I will probly switch to a XDE20k, add a Black Ocillarus Clownfish, and start target feeding the SPS DT's Oyster Eggs.

Little Luey

Nice tank Travis!

You know, this thing about the tank being too clean may have some a point, I have a 20gal also that I ran skimmless for ever and just 2 weeks a go someone gave me a Bakpak skimmer, it has been running since and one of my clove polyps has lost color since then, I thought it was the water flow being too strong or the Xenia bothering them, but it may be that the tank is too clean as well.

Check it out

post-19607-1145731796_thumb.jpg

Switching right to a 20k from the 10k won't be too much of a shock for the corals?

The AB 10k has about 85 par, whereas the 20k will have about half that amount. Just an FYI, the phoenix 14k has around 69 par...

Works perfectly and I have NEVER had a problem with it. I'd definantly suggest one like it if you didn't want to drill your tank.

sea man dan

I read the first post in your RC thingy and i think i know why they are losing color. You are running a 10k right? Well if you are the corals arent really getting enough of the "blue" light they need. So i thinking switching to either a 14K (which i prefer) or a 20k( to blue/slows growth IMO) They will regain there coloration .... I think but what do i know i am only 16..hehe . I highly doubt its because your water is "too" clean , sps prefer very high water quality and i doubt they lose coloration because of "clean" water.... Just my 2 cents

when those corals grow in, that tank is gonna be aweesome. The RC article was interesting, and I would tend to agree with Sebea about the switching and feeding and the not adding the sand bed (even though I love mine and think there is a place for it in the reefing/sps world). You have a clean look and thats what you want and you can make the tank work without adding the sand if you want. I think since you haven't been feeding them the really fine nutrient rich stuff like DT's, this will be the thing that will help the most, both with coloring up,growth and health.

deacon hemp

I did read the RC article and i was wondering if you've considered trying pohls CV and ammino acids instead of dt's? It seems like sps would use that stuff and it adds nuits just like a phyto would?

I guess its all about dialing in the feeding,skimming,and a bluer bulb doesnt hurt either.

Haha, it betrayed me, lied to me and told me it would lower nitrates, and it did, but it never told me I would starve my corals in the process!!!!

I think I remember reading that SPS corals don't actually eat phytoplankton. The phytoplankton is consumed by zooplankton which in turn becomes food for the corals.

travisurfer

the tank looks sooo much better now(with sand). hope you get your problem fixed.

btw, i dont think its the bulb. from what ive gathered corals dont need more blue in the spectrum becasue 10k should have enough. the bulb may make the corals flouresce more which will make them seem like they have more color. i would take things slowly and see what happens. imo. good luck.

The AB10k 250w DE has one of if not the highest PAR values of 250w DE MH bulbs. I think that I am burning the corals some what because people use this same bulb on 24" tall tanks and have great results. I'd lift up my light more, but then it would look like I have a sunlight that is always at high noon lol.

Archived