Coral Vue Hydros

My new 40B

sr71pav

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't seen anything to indicate that it requires a deeper sand bed, just that it needs sand in general to make a burrow. Certainly not going to be as demanding as a jawfish would be (with regards to sand bed depth), I should think. I'm going to check water params tonight to make sure everything is still good before I go looking for fish tomorrow.

I'm just planning on leaving the plate in and seeing if anything comes from it. It's down to the skeleton pretty much now. I can't believe how fast it went.

scarf_ace1981

coming along nicely.

i've never had luck w/ plates.

you will be very happy w/ flasher wrasse. you could add the goby/pistol pair and a couple other fish. maybe a dwarf angel and a pair of clown.

I got the YWG/pistol pair yesterday. It's a nice looking tiger pistol. I saw the YWG earlier today shortly after lights on, but haven't seen him since. Haven't seen the pistol since yesterday afternoon, though. I hope they're doing fine. At what point should I start to worry?

You shouldn't worry. They've been in there only one day. I'm sure both will show up sooner or later. Listen for loud popping noises, and you'll know that's your Pistol Shrimp. You'll probably see them burrowing together in a few days.

Doing feedings he may show up also...

I've confirmed that they've now teamed up. Not a bad location, towards the right side of the tank, under the rock behind where the caulastrea is. I know the shrimp is eating, not too sure about the YWG, but it looked promising. I wish he'd come out and eat right in front of me like he did at the LFS, hopefully when he's used to the new surroundings he will.

• 1 month later...

It's been awhile, so time for an update. I still need to post pics of the YWG/pistol. However, last night the pistol was flailing around on his back and everytime I righted him he just flipped over again, so I'm not sure if he'll make it.

I have inquired to the LFS about exquisite wrasse and swissguard basslets. They didn't think they would be a problem to get, so we'll see.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

is your shrimp shedding?

btw the aquarium really shaped up nice, and the stand looks great.

you should however replace that fuge floodlight with a 27 phillips daylight spiral (6500k) $5 at home depot :) (if you havent already)

Well, I didn't find the shrimp this morning where he'd been all last night, so maybe he is just shedding, and looking like a fool in the process. It was pathetic watching him last night, though.

Yeah, already got the fuge light swapped for the 6500k. I'm going looking for corals and such this weekend. Planning on hitting 3 local shops, so hopefully I'll find something. Maybe a bubble coral.

• 2 months later...

Been a long time since I had an update. Really hasn't been too much to say anyway. I've added a green ric and some green mushrooms. I think I've pretty much killed the orange ric by havung it too near the light. Something's a bit off with the frogspawn as well. It's alive, but it almost never extends. I've tried varying light conditions with no success.

I have an ATO setup, as well as an auto-feeder. Having these automated makes me feel much better about consistency in the tank params. I'm hopeful stability will take care of the frogspawn in time.

I'v also added a lawnmower blenny recently. I like watching him scurry about the tank picking at the sides or the rockwork. Adorable little guy.

• 1 month later...

Hooray! Everything survived my vacation. The whole setup worked exactly like I had hoped. Now I need to get some more corals. I'm thinking things like zoas and softies. My frogspawn looks to have almost had it and I'm not sure what is going on. I have some algae, so there must be some phosphates or nitrates coming from somewhere. Current guess is I need to change my filter sock for the sump draing more than once a week. Aside from a couple snails here and there, nothing seems to be dying. The other corals all open fine.

The LMB is doing great and he's finally gotten used to seeing me. I like his sleeping place, between the Seio and the glass. Guess it's nice and secure there for him.

Once I figure out what's going on, time to add more fish again. I'm currently thinking a pair of orange skunks and then one more, which I have yet to decide. There's a big part of me that wants a dwarf angel despite worrying about it pecking at coral.

Archived