Pod Your Reef

My new 40B

sr71pav

Today I came home to my first clutch of snail eggs (cerith is my guess). In fact, it looks like there are three separate sets. A bit exciting as it's never happened in my 15G. I like new things.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I've decided about my skimmer. There's a guy in the local club here that makes them, and I saw a couple pretty good reviews about it locally. I figure I'm going to give him a try. It's going to be a re-circ with a 6 inch diameter reaction chamber. I'm really looking forward to this.

It'll probably be a couple weeks befor I get the skimmer. I'm talking with the guy so he can design exactly what I'm looking for, and I'm out of town next week. Hopefully that following week I'll have the skimmer and the re-designed sump to fit it into.

I've placed some of my mushrooms and zoas into the tank. They seem to be doing well after a couple days in the tank. They opened after less than an hour. I do the water tests and all, but I never seem to be able to trust them, which is why I have to stick frags in to make sure it really is good.

Meercat_Maric

Quite the cavalier way of testing your water params, but quite effective.

Like the setup! I dont think I would have been as patient as you have been - I'd probably have something swimming in there by now, nice to see someone doing it the right way for once though.

It's not easy being patient. I'm actually quite bad at it. In fact, I feel, I could probably even do a bit better with this project. One thing that is helping me keep things slow right now is that I'm out of town week after next, and I don't want to do too much before I leave. My sister can handle topping off the tank, but that's about it at the moment. At least she's smart enough to know to call me if something happens, like a bunch of powerheads going nuts and shooting water out of the tank, stil haven't figure that one out.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like you purchased a 40 breeder with a screen top. Is this right? If so, per All Glass this glass is made to hold reptiles not water and is a different grade & thickness glass than the aquatic model 40 breeder.

It's not easy being patient. I'm actually quite bad at it. In fact, I feel, I could probably even do a bit better with this project. One thing that is helping me keep things slow right now is that I'm out of town week after next, and I don't want to do too much before I leave. My sister can handle topping off the tank, but that's about it at the moment. At least she's smart enough to know to call me if something happens, like a bunch of powerheads going nuts and shooting water out of the tank, stil haven't figure that one out.

That's long since been corrected. Thankfully.

Just back from vacation, and everything survived the week. I have to check, but hopefully my new protein skimmer is ready.

Just thought I'd throw in a quick post that I picked up my new skimmer last night. It was made by guy/sponsor for our local club. I'm really looking forward to getting it setup sometime over the next week.

skimmer.jpg

nice, i just got an asm mini and when i move out of the house next summer im hoping to set up a 40b with a 15g sump, im hoping it can handle it, Mind me asking what you paid?

yea i always pay a little more for local first ( if they have what im looking for). It is a good price for that.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally have a non-red coral!!! I picked up a single head of regular green frogspawn at the local frag swap today.

I was also able to drop by the LFS today to talk about getting some flasher wrasses. It's definitely possible, though I'll have to jump fast when they come in.

A nice exciting day for me.

Latest update. I picked up some blueshrooms and a fungia today. I'm just avoiding red things at the moment. I thought it way past due for some pics.

P1010644.jpg

P1010649.jpg

P1010647.jpg

P1010650.jpg

I've also been talking to LFS about getting in some flasher wrasse for me. I have to call on Monday for availability on what they can get in. I added eggcrate today in preparation for when the time comes to add fish.

I was THIS close to getting an RBTA today with a pair of black and white clowns. Thankfully, I knew I didn't know enough about their keep to get them.

I'm a bit concerned about my plate. I saw a bit of extension on Saturday after I put it in. Yesterday, looked pretty much dead. Some of the green seemed to be gone, but the purple mouth was still bright. I've read that they seem to do this kind of playing dead thing sometimes, so I'm hoping it's just a matter of time before it comes back again.

I'm currently also now actively searching out fish. I got a call into a guy to try to get some flasher wrasses, either 1m/2f or 3 juveniles, ideally. If not, just a single male will have to do.

I think the peacefulness of these kind of throws most previous plans for fish out the window. So who's got some further ideas on what to house with these guys?

Have you tried feeding the plate coral?

As for fish suggestions, have you considered a school of Anthias or Chromis? If you really want a bottom dwelling fish, Watchman gobies are nice, and are less prone to jumping like jawfish. Also, if you're still considering an angelfish, the Pygmy would be your best choice, IMO. The choices are really endless, and in a 40B, with such nice dimensions, it allows you to add more fish than in other setups similiar in size.

I'm in the process of setting up my tank, its a 40B. I took a good break from the hobby, but now I'm eager to jump back in. Your setup looks great, hopefully mines will also.

wwildcats04

wow, we should start a 40b club! anyway, my sandbed is roughly 4-5"... I planned for the jawfish. if your looking for something not so common, go with a yasha haze goby, or an african flameback angel, or a lamarck angel... black percs are cool too. my stock list is a chevron tang, ocellaris and a blue spot jawfish. as of now... however, they are all in q tank right now being treated for crypt because I had a temperature problem in my tank that went unattended while out fofr the week... grrr anyway! there are quite a few cool choices out there.

I saw a goby shrimp pair at the LFS when I was there last weekend. I think yellow wathman goby, IIRC. Pretty cool little symbiosis.

And, unfortunately, it looks like the plate is dying. It looks to me as if most of the tissue is gone. I've tried feeding it, but it didn't take anything. Not a good sign. Oh well, I'll leave it in the tank, and hopefully small ones will spawn from it.

DementedLullaby
Will a YWG/pistol pair be fine with flasher wrasse?

They also prefer a deeper sand bed IMO. They might find a decent place under some LR though.

Your tank is looking good. The plate will probably come back with a bunch of small ones :). Most do.

I really like the 40b's. They're nice tanks.

Archived