Pod Your Reef

My new 40B

sr71pav

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got any suggestions how to go about doing that while still allowing me to pull them out for maintenance every once in awhile.

*subscribes to topic*

DAMN! I love 40B's!!! Can't wait to get mine!!!! Any pics of your DIY sump/fuge?

D

I'll try to get a shot of it this weekend. Right now, there's not much to it. The fun part is that I didn't have the width of the tank exactly, so the baffles are at an angle. It works, but it's not perfect. I'm just thrilled that I have it setup to where it allows plenty of room for drain from the main tank if the power goes out.

I'll try to get a shot of it this weekend. Right now, there's not much to it. The fun part is that I didn't have the width of the tank exactly, so the baffles are at an angle. It works, but it's not perfect. I'm just thrilled that I have it setup to where it allows plenty of room for drain from the main tank if the power goes out.

yeah, that's my prob now. my stand is not big enough, for the sump I want, so, I am stuck with a 1/2-3/4 full 10G AGA, I should have had my returns come thru the top! :angry:

D

Sorry I haven't gotten the shot of the sump. I got busy over the weekend, and it's been a surprisingly long week at work.

In a quick update. I'm coming out of the diatom bloom finally. Been killing the lighting quite a bit though because I'm starting to grow some other hair algae. Tested my params and all seemed ok (probably because it's all being taken up by the algae), so I've taken a couple snails from my 15G and put them into this tank to see if they'd survive. Cruel? Perhaps, but they have survived, and are going to town with all the algae. I'm planning to go get the CUC tomorrow. If not, then it's next weekend.

Hopefully I'll get that picture this weekend of the sump.

Sorry I haven't gotten the shot of the sump. I got busy over the weekend, and it's been a surprisingly long week at work.

In a quick update. I'm coming out of the diatom bloom finally. Been killing the lighting quite a bit though because I'm starting to grow some other hair algae. Tested my params and all seemed ok (probably because it's all being taken up by the algae), so I've taken a couple snails from my 15G and put them into this tank to see if they'd survive. Cruel? Perhaps, but they have survived, and are going to town with all the algae. I'm planning to go get the CUC tomorrow. If not, then it's next weekend.

Hopefully I'll get that picture this weekend of the sump.

sweet! No rush, dude. Not cruel @ all, depending on what type of snail, they will be cool, if your Ph/Salinity is good to go.

taking down the 29 here this weekend. Would you mind if I asked you how much your 40B was?

Thx,

D

The whole setup? Hmm, let's see if I can figure it out. Well, I think it's around $1200. That's the lights, heater, pumps. tank, DIY stand, rocks, sand, etc. Pretty much everything I could come up with. Of course, that's without CUC, and about 15-20 lbs. of LR that I'll be transferring from the 15G at some point.

-Pav

The whole setup? Hmm, let's see if I can figure it out. Well, I think it's around $1200. That's the lights, heater, pumps. tank, DIY stand, rocks, sand, etc. Pretty much everything I could come up with. Of course, that's without CUC, and about 15-20 lbs. of LR that I'll be transferring from the 15G at some point.

-Pav

Woah! I was jus curious about the tank itself! lol

D

Got my CUC today! I always enjoy visiting Premium Aquatics. It's an LFS that I'll pretty much trust what they tell me, as most of them are part of the local club. I got about 30 snails (ceriths, trohus, nassarius, margherita, bumble bee, and a single turbo) and my favorite addition is a fighting conch. I'll get some pics, if anything is out, when my lights come on in awhile.

Completely unrelated to the tank, but I just realized I joined this forum on my birthday last year.

Woo hoo! Happy horribly belated birthday!

By the by, margarita snails are a cold-water species from Mexico. The conch will be a lot of fun, though - I love mine. :)

Are you referring to the Tunze style mounting?

BTW, a halfway decent way to search reefcentral (or any other site) is to use the "site" instruction in google (i.e. site:reefcentral.com seio mounting). Search with no membership.

what kind of light is over your sump (types, watts, etc.)?

What skimmer are you going to have? Is it going in the sump?

It's just a 75W PC light. Nothing special. I'm planning on getting the bulb recommended on Melev's Reef, but I had these around already, so that's what's in there now.

When I finally get a skimmer, I want an in-sump. Current thinking is either an ASM or Euro-reef, something that's rated for 75 or so gallons. I'll probably have to make another sump because of the angled baffles, but that's relatively cheap.

reefinnewb

looking really good so far, love the look of the 40br i have a little while till i get outta the house then all hell is gonna break loose lol. Bigger tank here i come.

thanks. Looking for a new bulb and fixture of my fuge.

For whats it worth...im not sure what you planning on for in you tank. But i got a CCS 65 running in my sump and it does a great job. Pulls out some gross stuff. ALthough i don have any experience with the the higher end brands, i think it does great for the money (and they have larger models as well)

Here's my current thinking on this tank. First, it's going to have some fish (which I still need to figure out, obviously I have some good suggestions by others). Second, down the road, I'd like a clam. Finally, I don't know for sure about SPS, but there's some I like, plating monti for example. So it might be the full deal with this tank.

I've seen something else in my tank today. I was just up checking out the new additions, all look good, btw (love the conch). Saw my first brittle stars, and something I have no idea what it is. All I saw was what looked very similar to the snout of the conch. Instead of being the grey of the conch, it looked to be red and white patterned. It was under the rocks, and I couldn't get a good picture of it. I tried tempting it with some mysis (I was also feeding my candy cane), but it just hid from it. Figure it was worth a shot. I know without a pic, it's practically impossible to identify, but still, any thoughts?

Yes, but it's still early days with the tank, so eventually I'll have that conquered, and in time, there will be a skimmer. The snails are pretty much kicking it's butt. The turbo is just downright impressive.

Question about fish. Is there any way that I could keep flasher wrasse? I'd be hoping for a male and a couple females (I think it's pushing things, but I'm not certain).

Jawfish have also caught my eye, but since my sand bed is only about an inch deep, I figure it's not enough for one of them.

I'm really kind of looking for something that's not too common in the nano. I've taken to wrasses after seeing a mystery wrasse at PA this weekend. Beautiful (and expensive)!

Anybody?

Snails are still going a wonderful job on the algae, it's not even half of what's in the last picture.

Archived