ReefCleaners.org

FLIPbmw's 40 Breeder

FLIPbmw

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...

Drastic changes have taken place with my tank.

I sold off some of my corals to reinvest in the infrastructure.

I now have my main pump on a UPS that should last an hour (short blackouts). I also have an 800w generator for winter and long power outages. Power outages can result in losses, losses that I cannot afford and have already experienced over the summer. Total investment was ~$200 and well worth it.

Lighting remains the same with 4x39w T5HO with ATI bulbs, but I raised it up 6"+ as it was causing problems with my SPS.

Other than that, I cleaned up my power center and neatly organized all of the plugs and wires.

Decor: At first, I wanted a long but low level rockscape with a nice tall piece of LR stretching towards the surface with about 5" rock height on each side. I realized that it wouldn't work out as I had a lot of rocks and did not want it to go to waste (in my sump). I have beautiful pieces so I decided to pile it up on the left side in a sloping matter and maintain a small island towards the right. I plan to put feather dusters in the middle as a focal point and place plants along the right corner.

Here are some pictures. Most of the coral on the right side are waiting to be sold.

post-16427-1284622623_thumb.jpg

post-16427-1284622640_thumb.jpg

post-16427-1284622665_thumb.jpg

post-16427-1284622727_thumb.jpg

Well the digitata and monticaps do fine, but are still slow growers. I have people that bought 1x1 frags from me, surpass my colony growth in 4months! (my colony was ~6-7"). You also don't see the SPS rock that I put in my sump because the colors of the blue acro's didn't hold and green milli faded. The brown acros on the top right were fresh from the store at a cheap price because there was no color.

Here are some other pictures of my power center to keep everything clean looking and sump/frag tank.

post-16427-1284766867_thumb.jpg

post-16427-1284766885_thumb.jpg

post-16427-1284766895_thumb.jpg

post-16427-1284766910_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

I just lost 5 chromis (sick), 1 of 2 ocellaris (sick), bi color blenny (jumped)... Had really bad luck with fish as I got a bad batch from the store and it just spread too quickly through my system.

My tank in terms of corals is about 50% of what I had at peak, I sold off quite a few things as I wanted to try something new (aussie acans, mini maxis etc).

I'm thinking about going predator and adding some frog fish/lion fish in my tank. What do you think??

mygsris2slo4u

This thread is inspirational. I like the fact that you started out with what you had and said screw the nay sayers. The hobby is only advanced when people try new methods, equipment, etc. I hope my tank one day looks this good! Keep up the good work.

Archived