Cultivated Reef

FLIPbmw's 40 Breeder

FLIPbmw

I haven't updated in a while, just because I was very busy with school work. Since I'm done (and passed hahaha). I have been very busy with my tank.

Current List of stuff...........

40G BR All Glass Aquarium

70lb Base (Reefbones, Reef Rock, Tuffa rock, Homemade rock)

15lb live rock (Vanuatu, Premium Figi)

Crushed Coral, large grain mix

Custom overflow/Refugium (ps. the clear overflow owns B) )

Rena XP3 Filter

AGA 300w Heater

Coralife T5 2x21watt Actinic, 10,000k (2 Units).

Seaclone Skimmer MJ 1200

Mj 600 timer (15minute intervals)

SCWD (soon)

2 Ocellaris, Sixline Wrasse, Cleaner shrimp, Arrow Crab, BLH, Snails...

Coral List...

Coral Polyp: Beige Eyes

Coral Polyp: Brown, Orange Mouth

Coral Polyp: Green Button Polyp

Coral Polyp: Green Green Mouth

Coral Polyp: Green Star Polyp

Coral Polyp: Orange Orange Mouth

Coral Polyp: Orange, Neon Green Mouth

Coral Polyp: Purple & Green Polyp

Coral Polyp: Xenia

Coral Polyp: Yellow Polyp

Gorgonian: Purple Whip

Leather: Devil Hand

Leather: Sinulaira

Leather: Yellow Finger

LPS: Branching Meat Coral

LPS: Bubble Coral

LPS: Candy Cane 36

LPS: Frogspawn

LPS: Galaxea

LPS: Hammer Coral

Mushroom: Green Stripe

Mushroom: Gwen Blue

Mushroom: Purple Mushroom (True purple)

Ricordea: Blue Purple

Ricordea: Faint Green & blue

Ricordea: Gold Blue

Ricordea: Orange Purple Green

SPS: Assorted CPR 7

SPS: Digitana & Cap

SPS: Humilis

SPS: Orange Digitana Montipora

SPS: Purple Tri Color

SPS: Staghorn Brown

SPS: Yellow Acropora

aquariumcollagerj1.jpg

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last piece of equipment that I'll need for this tank. I picked up a SCWD and a backup power supply.

img3840fa7.jpg

I will only be using it for pumps, so right now I only have a MJ 600 on it (estimated running time is 100hrs). I may add another, but not ATM.

That thing cost me 99$ (CDN) as it was on sale 50% off! I had to jump on it since a car battery itsself is almost the same price.

I hooked up my SCWD today and it's pretty cool, but yea it does cut off a bit of flow (mainly because it is also flowing out the opposite end).

My Noma power system is been running on battery power all night and have about 70% power left. I should be able to run my pump for 3 days. Lights is another issue, but they can survive some time with out it and heater is a big issue since it drains a lot of power, but some heat packs wrapped in ziplock bags and placed near the PH should help.

Take a look at it again. In the photos maybe you can't see a big difference, but when your here you can "feel" the difference.

For the morning I have my back lights come on first.

Afternoon I have both lights running.

For evening I have my fronts lit and the back is black so you can't really see how deep the tank is.

I have my lights controlled with a digital timer and each day of the week is different. Mondays the lighting is shorter and starts to peak on thursday-friday with 13hrs then drops back down to meet schedual on monday.

I like the way it's darker in the back of the tank at night than it is during the day. It does give a sun is setting kinda impression. But what's the point of having the light on for more hours on Thursday-Friday than say any other day of the week? Very nice tank too btw.

I like the way it's darker in the back of the tank at night than it is during the day. It does give a sun is setting kinda impression. But what's the point of having the light on for more hours on Thursday-Friday than say any other day of the week? Very nice tank too btw.

No reason for those days. I just wanted 'random' lighting and this was the best I could do with a digi timer.

I fragged some of my monti caps. They have been growing pretty well under my lighting. My monti digitana is a different story tho.

I also frag plugged all of my ricordea because they were getting swept away and lost behind rock.

Nothing new, still waiting to get rid of some frags.

• 3 weeks later...

yup yup it's time again.

I got some new zoos from trading and got a few new colonies to frag.

Photo as of today, but shot before my newest purchase (big zoo rock).

Fish/invert added/removed:

+Blue yellow tail damsel

+Green goby

+peppermint shrimp

+10 cerith snails

-2BLH

Corals added:

1 purple white center zoanthus

1 tri color mix (reverse gorilla nips + kiwi stars + purple white star)

1 brownish white star yellow center.

Pics to come soon... since my explaination sucks

aquarium40gallonftssept292006ak4.jpg

Tank looks really cool, but I would remove the damsel and the arrow crabs. Arrow crabs grow fast and can get really big and eat fish.

yea well everything can get really big, its a matter of time. He won't be getting any bigger, I'm sure of that.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a HQI fixture from a fellow reefer that I trade a lot with.

Odyssea 150w HQI 3in1, actinic + moons. 10k bulb running.

hqi3in1ds2.th.jpg

How it compares with my T5:

My 4 bulb NO T5 setup was decent for the price, but I found the color to be too "white" where as I wanted to get the shallow noon time sun reef look which is more yellow. The T5's would light up the whole tank completely which was nice to see all the little detail in the rocks, but now the MH creates shadows where you use to see nice detail. It's because I have been aquascaping with T5's in mind, so shadowing wasn't a concern. The MH ripple effect is breath taking, so is the actinics, although the flurescent greens don't "Pop" as much as they would under T5's. The Moonlight is a cool added feature, but it leaves a lot of 'unkown' when used (blue is too focused on a single spot). I may add more in the future depending If I decide to keep this fixture or buy/trade for 2x MH setup.

tankpicshqitq6.th.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Re-arranged the rockwork, took out a few lb of baserock. It looks much cleaner now.

Added a strawberry conch.

I'm having a cyano problem since the beginning of adding the new lighting. I was thinking about RSR, but didn't do it.

I did do FWE on my tank, about 2x recommended dosage which took out all my flatworms, but there was too many and even with all the carbon I added and skimming, I lost a few pieces of SPS (although my friend told me FWE + sps isn't a good mix, never read it anywhere).

I was able to fix my micro bubble problem with my rena, so now picture should be crytal clear from now on.

colftssmallfw0.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
I just picked up this colony of Red, Purple eyed zoos. They looked like eagle eyes, not sure. What do you think?

cimg0317jv4.jpg

those are nice but they arent eagle eyes.

Archived