FLIPbmw's 40 Breeder

FLIPbmw

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I went bare bottom a few weeks ago and sold off a bit of my corals.

my LFS has helfrichis in at 120$ CDN, which is like 100$ USD :o

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Long time no update:

aug07ab4.th.jpg

Updates:

I have a lot of species of zoos now. Probobly 20 or so

Still on the easy coral size, but I do have a goniopora that has been living for 3+ months now and is doing great. Slowy trying SPS with monti cap. right now.

I recently added to my system a 40gallon sump/frag tank so my total water volume is roughly 70gallons.

I am running a CPR clone overflow to the tank with a GEN X 1500 return pump. I have maxi jets in the sump and in the display as well. Frag rack is roughly 6" under the trim of the tank, so my Coralife Aqualight T5 (2x21watt of 10k and 6700k) give the best results. I will eventually add another coralife as I make more frags and need to spread the light. They are very cheap low budget lights that do very good for supplementing. I will add a fixture to my display to supplement my 250w MH that I will tone down in on hours since 13hrs of 250w adds up to a lot of electricity. So I will tone it down to 5hours and have the T5's light the tank up for viewing afterhours.

• 3 months later...

For your RO/DI unit that you got, here is what I would do; take off that horizontal DI chamber. make it run like this, sediment filter-carbon block-RO membrane-DI. Use that 3rd vertical chamber and get a refillable DI cartridge and a clear housing so you can see when the resin is bad.

With the horizontal chamber, there is a lot of flow over so it will possibly not take o the water to 0 TDS. With a vertical, it has to go through the resin so as long as it is still good, the water will always be at 0.

Good luck, the tank looks nice. I would like to see more on how you set up the frag tank and have it plumbed.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So I finally had time to look at my aquarium this week (finished last exam), and I realized I was running into a bubble algae problem, full blown! That stuff was everywhere.

Last Thursday I tore down my display and cleaned it spottless. I removed all the rock and picked off all the algae with my hands before placing it back into the aquarium. I was looking to pick the rocks clean, so it took me quite some time, I can't afford another outbreak. I removed 1 bucked load of rock from the display, it was just way too much and I wanted to keep a clean open look. 6 hours later and 30gal water change, I ended up with something nice which offers more space for corals.

Losses on maintenance:

No corals lost

No fish lost

1 pistol shrimp dead (finally, but I wish he came out quietly and not resort to extreme tactic)

1 pistol shrimp escaped into sump :@

1 urchin lost all spines due to stress

post-16427-1209407775_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

October 6th 2008

Once again, I had to do a complete system cleaning to get rid of bubble algae. I spent roughly 5 hours picking each rock clean. I'm having some trouble replenishing my coraline algae which in the mean time is causing problems with other green algae taking over my tank. I'll be adding some new cleaners to my list now.

Current lighting is 6 T5 bulbs

Current usa extreme 2x39w (2 units) 10k/Actinic

Coralife aqualight T5 2x21w 10k/Actinic

I will be changing my lights soon, I find that the overwhelming 10k is having a toll on the coral color but I do experience rapid growth with my mushrooms, tubipora and monticaps.

Here are some pics. I have quite a lot of space and I am now looking to add some fish to my list which currently consists of 2 Green Gobies, 1 Gold line chromis

oct6ke1.th.jpgthpix.gif

oct62rg5.th.jpgthpix.gif

• 1 month later...

November 8th

I begin the test of vodka dosing. I have ~75Gal volume dosing 4 drops a day which will be increased to max 10drops a day (in a weeks time). I plan on maintaning this level for the course of my tank.

• 3 weeks later...

The only thing I did to this photo was paint the backwall blue, it was filled with algae after I started to dose. I was too lazy and didn't want to scrap it off, i'll let my snails have some food this time around.

nov1xz0.th.jpg

My colors did improve slightly, but then I also increased my feeding and changed my actinic bulb, so anything after that point I can't have a good benchmark.

I reduced vodka dosing back to no dose. I could not take dosing every day. Every so often I would add a jolt of 10drop. My skimmer would pick up a lot of crud as I was dosing thats for sure!

• 1 month later...

Picked up some corals during boxing week:

Green Brain

Frogspawn

Also picked up Lugol's Iodine to dip these corals because the holding tank is not so "clean".

I add 5 drops to the bag of water holding the corals and mix it in well. Flatworms did fall off but managed to survive this low concentration, I did a test and nuked a bunch of flatworms in a 1L bucket, 1 drop wiped them all out so this stuff does work.

post-16427-1230591186_thumb.jpg

post-16427-1230591193_thumb.jpg

post-16427-1230591205_thumb.jpg

I found my pom pom crab! He was chilling next to my new brain. I quickly scooped him up before I would lose him amongst the rockwork. Most likely I'll try sell him or trade for corals since I hardly see this fella anyways. Too bad, he is pretty cool.

post-16427-1230695758_thumb.jpg

Lighting:

Sunpaq 10k

Coralife Actinic 03

Sunpaq Actinic

ATI Actinic

Sunpaq 10k

Sunpaq Actinic

I need to change out some bulbs soon, so I'll slowly move towards ATI Blue+ and other bulb combos.

post-16427-1230757334_thumb.jpg

Archived