Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The most perfect Nano-Reef tank

xofinnocent

Hey everyone if you could talk to a custom Tank builder and have them build the most perfect nano-reef tank. What would it include? The sky is the limit. Don't consider money or supplies. The only thing that has to be definite is a 10 gallon or less tank volume, though the dimensions are flexible. Please post to this even if its one suggestion.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steel trim would be hardcore, making it look industrial and such.

I've always wanted to see large glass tubes or extra compartments coming out the sides of a main tank. Kinda like hamster tubes or cages. I recognize flow would be a major issue and cleaning algae would be a bear, if not impossible, but it'd be cool to see smaller fish explore though them...or if they were big enough, an eel hangout.

I would love a double tank that contianed a refugium on the left and the reef on the right. I hate the fact that my fuge is hidden behind my tank (aquafuge hang on back type). Granted this would also mean that I would have to keep the fuge in better condition but it would be nice to be able to see into the fuge and, therefore, keep other critters like seahorses in it.

If you build it, I would gladly take the first model as a gift for giving you this idea.

now would you have the tank on the side - or if you could have it above but still connected to the tank. Or even better yet have one fuge for each side and have the reef display in the middle? you could get some good circulation from that and it would frame the main tank nicely.

good question, I think it would be a good idea to check my reset out, this is what I deem as the perfect tank.

Fuge's and the like only remove nutrient, an overpowered skimmer can do equal if not better.

All natural systems, can be far harder to look after, especially in a smaller environment (factual), and removing problem areas and backing it up with cleaner systems is far the better (i.e. dirty and hard to clean sand beds, fuge's).

So, check out automated, computerised mayhem in the members tanks section. Granted - lots of money but perfect !!!

cheers,

lee

:) :) :) :) :)

"a minature version of the ocean."

I would agree hubu, hence my resetting.

As close as physically possible.

cheers,

lee

:) :) :) :)

Ten gallon long, or maybe 7 gallons with a 2.5 gallon refiguim. 175 watt 12k metal haide augmented by 55w atonic power compacts. 75 watt titanium heater, 2 whisper 301 powerheads, 32watt powercompact for the refiguim, and timers to control the main tank lights. Dark blue background, ph monitor. Thats should do it. the live rock and corals should be owners choice. this set up would be able to accomadate a wide range of system preferences. cant wait to see what ya come up with.

freakaccident

Tank built into the wall in my kitchen in the breakfast bar part. Drilled on the bottom with skimmer under counter. Closed loop with lots o current. Lift the counter up on hinges and hydro supports to get at the tank.

"apophis924"

good thoughts, have you seen my setup in members tanks.

I must admit ive gone a tad above your suggestions, to some peoples amazement.

But hey, we all want the perfect tank right.

"xofinnocent

Artist of the Reef"

Why are you offering something what we can all buy or make up ?.

maybe i'm missing something here ?

And why add hard to keep and dirty fuge's and sand beds ?

If its a dream or perfect tank I want with no money issue's, and planning myself (which I have - design is done, reallity is coming now), then I certainly wouldn't add a fuge or dsb, purely because they accumulate detritus and are hard if not impossible to maintain (short of stripping the tank every month), Ive said before - try stirring your gravel now and see what comes out. Also accumulating detritus BADLY adds to algae problems too.

My dream and perfect tank is reallity, and i'm happy with my own designs.

cheers,

lee

There is no perfect tank it is like a "myth" or something.

Although my 37 runs awesome. 18 x 20 x 25 H and all it uses is PH, LR, LS, Plennumn, and 250 W MH and 2 32 W PC actinics. Would be nice if I had a fuge though.

" There is no perfect tank it is like a "myth" or something. "

I'll go with that dave, all we can do is strive to give the best, and acquiring the knowledge over time leads to that.

Ive seeked advices for months on end while running my tank for now, also tried several techniques - dsb, no dsb, add additives, don't add additives, lighting, temp. etc.

I know myself now, only by my preferences and advices sought, on how to set mine up.

Its not to everyones taste, maybe you may think its expensive etc. but again, if you want to have the best, have it.

cheers,

lee

These are all good ideas, I think the perfect tank is in our living rooms. All of our tanks are perfect until...we start testing the water chasing text book water parameters. In fact when i think about it. My tank was perfect until i read an article on Alk, then tested it, that lead me to read about Mg then i tested for that, which lead me back to reading about ca++ and then those results were not good enough. I think I'll stop reading and do more watching let the things in my tank tell me how my water quality is they seem to know what quality water is much better than seachem/salifert/kent/ESV/hagen...did i miss anyone?

Originally posted by Kalanianaole

Steel trim would be hardcore, making it look industrial and such.  

I've always wanted to see large glass tubes or extra compartments coming out the sides of a main tank.  Kinda like hamster tubes or cages.  I recognize flow would be a major issue and cleaning algae would be a bear, if not impossible, but it'd be cool to see smaller fish explore though them...or if they were big enough, an eel hangout.

Don't they have something like that already? In Duce Bigalow, he has a tank like that in his apartment.

These answers are all getting a little to Zen. What is perfect, Is perfect achievable, blah, blah, blah. This is coming from an Asian! Anyway perfect maybe in your living room or what ever but have you ever wanted something that you don't have? I for one would love to see a tank built by a community, now wouldn't that be worth looking at, to know that you had input into something for all to enjoy. What he is looking for are suggestions on making a tank as efficiant as it is pleasing to the eye as possible. Good luck on your endevor and I look forward to seeing the results.

this is just one of my ideas again but u just mite like it:

a while ago i was browings a site and saw this cool little tropical tank but then i just cracked on sum one had got a 15 " monitor and sealed it inside and used it for a tank this really looked cool especially as it had a keyboard and mouse next o it making it look rally wkd.

if u used a 17 " or bigger then u would have a resonable sized nano.

a section could be built round the bck or even inside for a fuge or whatever.

i thought i would post my idea anyway and will try to find the pic agin :)

thx for listening simon

Archived