inTank Media Baskets

Clam Help!

audiocontrol

audiocontrol

It appears my clam has been ripped of it's rock. I might had aided this as I twisted him a few degrees to face center. Its threads and whatever else are still attached to the rock. He is only half opening because of this.

Not much you can do. Usually they're a gonner though if their foot gets torn. Be prepared for the worst. You shouldn't really mess with a clam once it's attached unless you know where and how to cut the abbysal threads first.

ProFlatlander15

if you want to move a clam (not recomended, like gwoardnog said) cut the abyssal threads as close to the rock as you can with a razor blade. they will heal usually with no problems. Never force or strain the abyssal threads, because when they are ripped/torn it isn't a good thing.

it is fine if only the byssal threads get torn, but if the foot gets torn, uh oh. as a general rule, if you can see through the clam from the mantle through the base (where the foot used to be), it is a gonner. and beware - a dead clam will DESTROY your water and thus tank if you don't get it out very soon after it dies.

for more info, check out the forums at http://www.clamsdirect.com

audiocontrol

ok, i just checked the bottom of the clam, there is no hole...is this a good sign? There is an opaque membrane over where the byssal threads once emerged from....No hole. Maybe new byssal threads will grow from there in time, right?

On the rock is just a clump of the byssal threads. He does open, just not to his full glory like it used to. I assume it was because he was stressed from the threads tearing?

Here is a picture of what it looks like EXACTLY now from underneath. Grabbed the pic from the web.

post-10445-1144203227_thumb.jpg

audiocontrol

one more thing, the clam still reacts to light and i examined the threads on the rock. They are all together in a tightly knit formation, much like that of a rope.

you may be ok then. keep a close eye on him, but as long as he is still opening and reacting to shadows, you may be in the clear.

ProFlatlander15

Ditto what andykee said. I had a clam die due to a partial tank crash and the byssal threads were still on the rock after I removed the clam for about a week.

audiocontrol

It appears the clam is doing good now. I really got to examine what was attached to the rock, and it seems it is all byssal threads. The clam has also opened up a little bit more since then...about 75% back to normal. Looks like I really lucked out with this one....

Archived