inTank Media Baskets

Clams Under T-5'S?

reeferbarra20

reeferbarra20

Hi all , I was just wondering whether or not I would be able to keep clams under 436watts of T-5 HO lights or not. I would like to keep maybe 3-4 of them preferably from the Maxima family. I am fully aware of their needs for calcium and Alkalinity as well as their need for phytoplankton. The reason why I want several is due to the fact that they act as additional Biological filters by consuming nitratres and phostphates in a reef aquaria. Any comments would me greatly appreciated.

At first I actually thought you had a "nano" aquarium with 436 watts of t-5 lighting, I was like dang, if its a nano the light would be TOO much for the most light needy clams and sps-like 44 watts per gallon on a 10 gallon! Lol.And yes I've heard of many people having success with clams under t-5s, but I would place them high because of the low watt-per-gallon ratio

At first I actually thought you had a "nano" aquarium with 436 watts of t-5 lighting, I was like dang, if its a nano the light would be TOO much for the most light needy clams and sps-like 44 watts per gallon on a 10 gallon! Lol.And yes I've heard of many people having success with clams under t-5s, but I would place them high because of the low watt-per-gallon ratio

Pfft. There are studies out now, I believe, that show T5's have a higher PAR than metal halides. Do read that gargantuan thread on T5's on RC.com.

For what it's worth, I've seen T. crocea happy and content 12" under 4-39w T5's.

bonecrusher71

:D You guys want to here something wierd after i shut off my MH light i place my

T5 light fixture on and its only 36w total 1 10k and 1 actinic bulbs my xenia still

pulsates and SPS polyps are extended hammer plate and frogspawn swell and

zoas stay open its weird :happy:

yes

*edit: if you got the T5's with the individual parabolic reflectors.

*edit2:

The reason why I want several is due to the fact that they act as additional Biological filters by consuming nitratres and phostphates in a reef aquaria. Any comments would me greatly appreciated.

Except you will be adding liquid phosphate (phytoplankon) to your tank for feeding. You're nitrate impact improvement (even if you didn't feed) would be minimal at best. Get clams because they look pretty, don't expect them to help with filtration though.

T5's are the way to go. I have 324 W 6x54 over my 75 and 96W 4x24 over my 20. I can keep SPS, Clams, and most other corals. Later Ryan

I forgot to add the parabolic reflectors make a world of difference. Its amazing how much light you lose since T-5's are not sheilded like a VHO. Dont use T'5s without them. Later Ryan

Archived