Innovative Marine Aquariums

Never Buy Another Nano Cube! Better Setup for $$

KMitch

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nanocubes have a worse history of cracking than AGA tanks.

I agree that if you have the money to put into your nanocube to make it work really well (because out of box it is lacking in key areas-- which i will admit as a NC owner/lover) then the nanocubes are a fine system, but the money and DIY knowledge is often lacking for college students such as myself, so this setup, out of box, works out better.

Hell if I had a money tree I would get a NC 24dx from nanocustoms with the works thrown in there!

Wow, I sure am surprised at how defensive other NC owners are. I think this thread should probably have been started in another forum ;)

I agree that if you have the money to put into your nanocube to make it work really well (because out of box it is lacking in key areas-- which i will admit as a NC owner/lover) then the nanocubes are a fine system, but the money and DIY knowledge is often lacking for college students such as myself, so this setup, out of box, works out better.

Yea, it really sucks:

ftsa.jpg

tcu_4.jpg

Bablouy's NanoCube Thread

Thanks Travis, Stock lighting, origional bulbs actually. Not much for mods, just the cassette skimmer, minijet 606, and removed vinyl on chamber 2 for cheato.

Wow...what EXPENSIVE and COMPLICATED modificatons one must do to the NanoCube! /end sarcasm

OK maybe for you those mods were cheap..... Lets play another scenerio:

You live in a hot part of the country and your dorm isnt air conditioned. Even with the feeding lid open 24/7, you had major tank heating issues. You therefor cannot provide a good living environment for your creatures.

That was my situation. If you have the means (money, environment, etc) and like the look of a nanocube, then go for it. Like I said many times before, I like the nanocubes. I own one. BUT--- my setup is only $80 while your setup is $150 out of box. Mine has more light. Mine doesnt have heat issues. Mine doesnt require mods to makeup for that light or heat issues.

I still love my nanocube, but for me, this setup worked out better. I could give my creatures a better house for less money than I could with the nanocube.

Amen.

(someone please post below this telling me how much I am wrong so we can repeat this process over a few more times! :P )

KMITCH.....that's cool, I agree with you on that.

Nanocubes have a worse history of cracking than AGA tanks.

Hell if I had a money tree I would get a NC 24dx from nanocustoms with the works thrown in there!

I'm not in college anymore, graduated five years ago so I do have $$$ to do upgrades to the cube. Just about to add the Coralife Sunpod tomorrow, so the cash does help. Didn't know you were in college, I used to be a poor poor college student, it sucked! Although, now I just rack up more and more bills, tanks, mortgages, etc. So I'm still broke lol. Wish you luck man. Peace!

I think you guys are taking this WAY too personal

I don't think the tank has to do with the beauty/grow/reproduction of your coral or how happy your fish are. thats the aquarist doing not the tank.

KMITCH.....that's cool, I agree with you on that.

I'm not in college anymore, graduated five years ago so I do have $$$ to do upgrades to the cube. Just about to add the Coralife Sunpod tomorrow, so the cash does help. Didn't know you were in college, I used to be a poor poor college student, it sucked! Although, now I just rack up more and more bills, tanks, mortgages, etc. So I'm still broke lol. Wish you luck man. Peace!

Yeah being poor while paying tuition and being in the military so you owe Uncle Sam makes it hard to support this hobby---

at least my fish love me

haha, well I pay Uncle Sam a LOT more than you, trust me. Not being personal here at all, just put it this way, I pay 350.00/month for student loans while other...........people outside of my ethnicity pay nothing. Plus pay a mortgage of 2 g's a month and all, I support you though Kmitch.........I WAS IN THE SAME POSTION BUT NEVER JOINED THE MILITARY! BUT:))))))) LOOK AT YOUR SIGNATURE...........

A scuba diving Hokie with entirely too much free time.

That's what college students are, you should be lucky you have $ to scuba dive, I don't, or the time. Plus the cash, guess it's a tradeoff, GET USED TO REAL LIFE BRO! STOP FEELING SORRY FOR YOURSELF!

A scuba diving Hokie with entirely too much free time.

Alrighty here big guy--- before you go reading into my signature too much listen to this:

Dont judge a book by its cover.

I work in the SCUBA diving business in retail sales and as an instructor. Thats my source of income (foot in mouth now.... ;) ). My diving is rarely fun diving so to compinsate for that, I have a SW tank that is my small part of the ocean. Oh yeah-- not a bro--- look at my pic <<<< chick

Dont read so far into my signature to assume that I have $$$-- its completely absurd to try. Can we get back on topic now..... :P

Moderator, please remove these political posts and ban the users involved or I will contact all of the vendors on this forum ensuring that they understand that politics are being associated with their sponsorship.

Groan... right to Defcon 5.....do not pass go.. do not collect $200....

You might look at the little report button on the bottom of posts, instead of screeching in everybodies face...

To the NC point.. I love my NC12DX.. I upgraded the lighting and did a bunch of other small mods... no different than adding all these parts outside of the tank on an AGA... But it's clean , contained, and is a very easy tank if you have to leave town for a week... low evap... etc...

now if only I could comeup w/ a low maintenance fit in back skimmer...

now if only I could comeup w/ a low maintenance fit in back skimmer...

When I still had my NC i was able to mod a Lee's air driven counter current skimmer to fit into the back of it. I have pictures somewhere on this forum of it if you poke around.....

Basically cut the collection cup off the top and setup a coke bottle at the base to collect my foam. It worked pretty well but my new tank has a skimmer built into the back so no use for it now....

When I still had my NC i was able to mod a Lee's air driven counter current skimmer to fit into the back of it. I have pictures somewhere on this forum of it if you poke around.....

Basically cut the collection cup off the top and setup a coke bottle at the base to collect my foam. It worked pretty well but my new tank has a skimmer built into the back so no use for it now....

That may be the way to go.. I had the fission... a bunch of mods to get it working... and it did ok.. soupy skimmate... but I had to constantly tweak and play with it.. and the microbubbles never really went away...

thx

you're pictures are killed from your other posts but I think I get the idea...

If you want them I can email them to you. Send me a PM.

Archived