Pod Your Reef

Never Buy Another Nano Cube! Better Setup for $$

KMitch

Hey guys

Okay so I have to admit that I used to have a 6g NC that I modded out with 3.18 light mod from nanocustoms and all was fine and good....

But there were some things I didnt like. Ex: Tank heating issues, poor filteration, worry of glass cracking, small space and contrants on mods, etc

But I found something that is the same price as a Nano Cube and MUCH BETTER!

From CustomAquatic.com

Part Number: AQ-JLFT-453032

Description: 11 Gallon Glass Tank from Jalli Corporation. Comes with Single Quad 55-watt Power Compact light fixture. Includes one 55-watt Quad Smart PC bulb. Aquarium has bent corners. Tank dimensions: 18-inches x 12-inches x 13-inches (LxWxH).

Shipping Weight: 30 Lbs.

ITEM IS IN STOCK

Regular Price: $79.99

Offer Price $79.99

So I bought this setup, a filter for $30, a powerhead and went to town. No temp issues and this tank looks great with the bow front glass. You cant complain with 5W/gal at all.

Heres a pic of my setup. I was a nano cube believer a few weeks ago, but after buying this I see no reason for anyone to ever buy one again. You cant beat it.

Pic of setup: http://filebox.vt.edu/users/kmtchll/New%20...Setup%20001.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
shao-lin nano

Hey kmitch,

Sorry to break it to you but you're comparing apples to oranges. You're setup can't compare to the nanocubes. First off, you don't have a stylish enclosed hood that most NC users are drawn to. Secondly, all your equipment is exposed; the NC hides all your equipment. Even if you paint the back of your Jalli tank your powerhead, heater, and filter intake is still exposed. For $30 you could have easily bought chemipure, phosguard, purigen, and media bag and filter floss for chamber 1 and have good mechanical and chemical filtration.

For $30 you could have easily bought chemipure, phosguard, purigen, and media bag and filter floss for chamber 1 and have good mechanical and chemical filtration.

Careful...

Tip: Stay away from additives or products that claim to remove pollutants as much as possible.

I am not trying to say these are better than nano cubes, just pointing out theres a cost comparable alternative. I rather have my equipment exposed if it means my tank doesnt overheat, filteration and circulation is good from the get go.

Besides if you read my previous post I mentioned that I did mod my Nano Cube quite a bit. I loved it, but after seeing the alternative, I stick to my guns.

Your housing an aquatic living creature-- if your priority is looks then get a tang and stick it in your 6g nanocube because those look good. Forget the health of the animal and which setup is better for the price.

ethan29nano

I hate nanocubes and aquapods...I dont see why anyone on the site , would buy one , after reading about how much of piece of garbage they are.....And hearing horror stories , theyve gotta be idiots...Anyways , Im always for the aga's , and for health , not so much looks...

Exactly-- if you dont know what your getting into they look like a nice all in one package, and if I had known there was an AGA alternative for the same price, I would have bought it in a heartbeat.

nano-cubes are cool if you use them for what they are designed for.

modding them till they look like some crazy science experiment and then complaining about the issue created by it is what makes me laugh.

my old stock 24 watt nanocube was killer. got me through my noob times. I cut my teeth on the hobby with one and by learning the real important things that make success in the hobby (water quality, patience and stable paramaters) i sucessfully kept what I feel was a decent little zoo tank. Just like driving a big truck won't make youe penis bigger, tons of fancy equipment won't make you a master in this hobby. (both may get you chicks and groupies though.)

This is definately not where I saw this thread going.....

.... I got my "training wheels" on a nano cube, but I dont really think the contents of my tank are sports cars or big trucks. Its the same stuff essentially built into a nanocube. My point in this whole thread is that the belief that an AGA setup costs more and is impractice is false-- there are better setups than the nanocube (in terms of quality of setup out of box-- asthetics are a personal preference) on the market for the same price.

nano-cubes are cool if you use them for what they are designed for.

modding them till they look like some crazy science experiment and then complaining about the issue created by it is what makes me laugh.

my old stock 24 watt nanocube was killer. got me through my noob times. I cut my teeth on the hobby with one and by learning the real important things that make success in the hobby (water quality, patience and stable paramaters) i sucessfully kept what I feel was a decent little zoo tank. Just like driving a big truck won't make youe penis bigger, tons of fancy equipment won't make you a master in this hobby. (both may get you chicks and groupies though.)

lol you give the most discusting, yet best examples

I've had a stock 12OG nanocube since 2003...no problems with cracking overheating etc, only recently did I upgrade to a DX hood and the pump to a minijet606...no complaints still...I've even thrown the tank around when I was making an attempt to wash it with a garden hose before (was converting from FW to SW..getting dried plant matter etc off the tank).

NEVER SATISFIED REFFER
I've had a stock 12OG nanocube since 2003...no problems with cracking overheating etc, only recently did I upgrade to a DX hood and the pump to a minijet606...no complaints still...I've even thrown the tank around when I was making an attempt to wash it with a garden hose before (was converting from FW to SW..getting dried plant matter etc off the tank).

yea but dont u have to admitt that u have no piece of mind cause everytime u walk past it u look to make sure no cracks??

kmitch,

Does that 13" include the lighting fixture or no? If not, can you tell me how tall it is all together?

Thanks!

The 13 inches is without the fixture on top. With the fixture its 17 3/4 inches. Its a 50/50 bulb also which they dont mention in the ad. I got a nice filter with built in protein skimmer for $30 and another powehead for $15 and for that you really cant beat the price. I can get more pics if you want

I love posts that flame aquapods/nanocubes, I especially love when they bring in the factor that they over-heat, crack and so and so...

Last time I checked AGA can have the same issues as a NC or AP, if not more... are your AGA tanks made out of titanium alloy now?

AGA, NC, AP... BMW, MERCEDES, TOYOTA .... they all serve one purpose...

There are 1523523562436 zillion threads about whether the NanoCubes are worth the money and this isnt going to be another thread about one!!!!

Again.... attempting to dispell the rumor that even I fell for which is you cant get a "personalized" setup (something like an AGA with your own parts) for cheap. Just trying to prove that there is a good option out there.

I got nothing on nanocubes because I own one, but having owned both, I prefer this setup because there are less worries associated with it. I dont have to worry about it heating up to 85F in the day if I am not careful like the nanocube often caused concern for. Can you have a nanocube and be perfectly happy? Absolutely. Can you have something (that in my opinion is better) for the same price that is less troublesome out of box? Yes.

I love posts that flame aquapods/nanocubes, I especially love when they bring in the factor that they over-heat, crack and so and so...

Last time I checked AGA can have the same issues as a NC or AP, if not more... are your AGA tanks made out of titanium alloy now?

AGA, NC, AP... BMW, MERCEDES, TOYOTA .... they all serve one purpose...

Interesting you should ask because my tank came with super supports to keep it together incase someone sneezed too close :P

Its actually not an AGA brand specifically, but I dont think theres much question that ones better than the other. If you could buy a BMW and a Toyota for the same price which would you get??

And you are completely entitled to your opinion. Thats why its a forum. For discussion. I make my case, you make yours.

Its not even about our case though.... its about other people in the hobby reading it and seeing what some reefers have learned through trial and error before making the same mistakes themselves. Its forums like these that kept me from buying many a POS.

<----- Setup listed above

LOL laughing alll the way through and the only change I have made to my AP is I added a MJ to the stock to add flow no temp problem cracking anything

kmitch, how dare you rip the NC6 the way you have been doing!!!!

I’m going to report you to the mods & have you banned from the nano-cube forum section of NR for life.

That’ll teach you :lol::lol::lol:

For the 4th or 5th time tonite...

I AM NOT SAYING THE NANO CUBES OR AQUAPODS ARE JUNK----

Just putting a product that wasnt previously noted on this form out there for people to check out as an alternative.

Was I completely happy with my nanocube? YES

Do I think there are many successful Nanocube owners? YES

Am I hating on Nanocubes? NO

Am I offering an opinion about a product I hadnt seen listed on this forum before? YES

All these forums about nanocube hating are the same--- just like if I said I was putting a tang in my 6g nanocube. I would get the same response no matter what. The funny part is how many people take offense to something not getting worked up over.

kmitch, how dare you rip the NC6 the way you have been doing!!!!

I’m going to report you to the mods & have you banned from the nano-cube forum section of NR for life.

That’ll teach you :lol::lol::lol:

fine..... i will put my "I love JBJ Nanocubes" shirt back on and sit in timeout.... :P

For the 4th or 5th time tonite...

I AM NOT SAYING THE NANO CUBES OR AQUAPODS ARE JUNK----

Just putting a product that wasnt previously noted on this form out there for people to check out as an alternative.

Was I completely happy with my nanocube? YES

Do I think there are many successful Nanocube owners? YES

Am I hating on Nanocubes? NO

Am I offering an opinion about a product I hadnt seen listed on this forum before? YES

All these forums about nanocube hating are the same--- just like if I said I was putting a tang in my 6g nanocube. I would get the same response no matter what. The funny part is how many people take offense to something not getting worked up over.

fine..... i will put my "I love JBJ Nanocubes" shirt back on and sit in timeout.... :P

Don’t take everything so seriously, didn’t you see me laughing.

There are many tanks & ways to have a successful reefing experience.

More power to you for trying something new.

BUT don’t ever rip the NC6 again!!! and what's wrong with my tangs???

Archived