Pod Your Reef

T. Maxima clam questions

JJshiv

I got a new maxima 5 days ago. I placed him near the top of my tank for the good lighting. I chose a large flat live rock that has lower water flow than the other rocks near the top. Placement sound ok? Ive noticed him moving around a little, just the normal turns and such to get the most light. This morning though, it had fallen off the rock and down near the bottom of the tank. I thought by now he should have had his bissel threads pretty much attached and it would be hard to move him. Are their bissel threads weak? Does something prey on these besides those little snails? (I have a six line wrasse for protection) Im guessing that a stupid snail or hermit crab knocked him over, but if his bissel threads were in place he shouldnt have been able to be knocked down, correct? Also, his underside was exposed cuz he was laying on his side and it didnt look normal. There was a huge cavity where I thought there wasnt when I got him. Anyone have any pics of the underside of a t. maxima? Thanks for any help.

the clam might have been moving and fallen, it happens. if the clam was moving around a decent amount, it probably wasn't happy with the water flow or lighting. my maxima moves around all day long adjusting to the sunlight in the morning and then in the evening it moves around again to get better access to the tank lights.

My clam seems very happy where it is (knock on wood) and it just moves around a lot. hell, it even attached itself to a sandbedclam and an empty shell. sucks for the sandbed clam as it is constantly getting moved around in the sand but both seem content and are growing.

This morning I saw my bristleworm dining on a completely dead clam. I dont know what killed the clam but the bristleworm definitely finished him off. Are bristleworms known to prey on clams? I dont think I will try another clam in this tank. This one only lasted about a week. My water conditions are perfect so I think something else got to the clam.

I had a dersea that did wonderfully for about a week as well. something attacked it from underneath and there was that hole just like you had described. I do have some bristle worms which have been know to attack clams when thay are hungary. However I noticed the prob when I saw my nass snails going haywire all over the clam. Like you there was no change in water chemistry. I later read that clam have the most predators of any type of organism that wer keep in our tanks. As much as I would like to get another I am afraid since I do not quite know what it was that ate him to begin with.

I know how sad it is to loose some thing that pretty especially since the definate casuse has unknown.

Archived