Top Shelf Aquatics

Maxima Clam Disease

Pgreco

Ok,

So I've had this guy for about 4 months. He was doing fine until one week ago when his mantle started to pinch. I fear it may be the dreaded clam disease we have all read about. Some days it looks better than others. I also have a squamosa in the tank which is perfectly fine but i fear will come under the same conditions. Here are some pics. Let me know your thoughts.

Oh yeah, I tested my water and everything checks out. PH, nitrate, phosphate, alk, cal are all at baseline levels.

need a pic of basal and pedial hinge. that is really where it starts.

try a dip in a Tech D (if you have some) also try increasing iodine or get some mecuricrome and rub it on damaged areas of the mantel if bite marks or wounds occur. Id also rig up a temporary U/V if possible. Use 8 watts and a powerhead and some angular pieces to make a U shaped return off of the unit so it can be a temporaty hang on unit rather than INLINE from a sump (if you have 1)

HTH

PS: you already know, but.....

I hate clams :happy:

OK here is a shot of the bottom. I never noticed the fuzzy stuff until now. I was afraid to take it off until somebody provided me with some type of explanation.

• 2 weeks later...

I lost over a dozen clams to that disease. The mantle starts to roll in a little at a time. When it gets bad the whole mantle tucks in and death isn't to far behind. I hope it will be ok.

Best of luck with it.

Pgreco-

I dont think what you have is the dreaded clam disease. If you have not introduced any other clams than theres no way this one would have got it and it would have showed signs of it along time ago. I have a derasa that has just begone to do the exact same thing and Ive had it for a while now too. Heres a link to Reefs.org I posted the question there.

http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?...p=205034#205034

If you feel it is the clam disease give it a FW dip. Adjust the temp and PH of the FW and dip it for 30mins. But before doing so check it for Tathrella snails near the byssal gland at night, wait about an hour after lights go out then check.

HTH

Archived