inTank Media Baskets

clam-proof setup?

aqua_aaron

i was looking through the various things i want to order for my tank and found the maxima (gold) rather beautiful. i would have it in a 2.5g that has 59 watts of pc light over it.

just curious if this would be enough light, and also how often one would need to be fed?

is it not worth the hassle in such a small tank?

does anyone else have clams in rather small tanks?

thanks,

aqua_aaron

IMO, if it was small (1"-2") than it could work.. but you would have to feed phytoplankton every other day and IMO not worth it in a small tank b.c. of the fluctuations and the feeding

i was unsure cause i haven't seen any picos with clams, probably b/c feeding can have the potential to throw the enitre system

any other opinions

I think the PC lighting would be a bit deficient even in a tank that size. Even if lighting wasn't a problem, the water quantity wouldn't be enough for good stability and quality.

The reason being that you should plan for the animal's well being for after it gets larger. The clam will take supplemental feeding (remember, supplemental) until it is roughly 3 inches long. As the clam grows it will need space. The clam will require more light after this point and my opinion is always that you should provide for the animal before you get it, and not upgrade down the road. This is good, solid, consistent husbandry. The clam would be best in a larger tank, in my opinion, with much stronger light. Maxima clams are the hardest Tridacnid to keep alive and although not as light needy as the Crocea, more finicky. For nanos the best choice has always been Crocea, provided that there is enough light.

There are other requirements for clams besides just light and feeding a GOOD quality phyto (no Kent Marine or "Marine Snow" crap)... A stable balance of calcium and alkalinity are just as important as adequate lighting. If you have to ask questions like that, you're not ready.

Power Compact lighting is NOT enough for a maxima clam. Don't do it.

my bad, i meant squamosa/deresa is possible, no maxima/crocea w/ your PC lights. LUX output/intensity is just too low w/ PC's unless your really close.

Archived