Top Shelf Aquatics

Just got my first clam!

JGard

So on a whim (as with everything I do), I purchased a Crocea clam which is nice and blue with some light blue spots on the mantle.

I'm running a 175W MH 20k and I have a 20H tank. I placed this clam directly under the light on the sandbed, and it's dug in and seems to be happy so far after four days or so. Should this be sufficient lighting for this clam?

From what I've read on these types of clams, once they've dug in to their spot, be in sand or LR, they don't liked to be moved, so I'd like to leave him there for now.

I've taken pics, but they're not resized and not hosted, so I can't post them up yet. Needless to say, though, I'm pretty psyched! I hope it does well.

You have plenty of light for that clam. Here are a few things to consider though. T. crocea usually live on live rock or coral not in the sand. Also, make sure to test for both Calcium and ALKALINITY and dose each of them according to the test results. It won't happed for several months, but once your clam starts growing he will deplete both CA and ALK fairly quickly. Sounds like your clam is going into a good situation, enjoy!

Much Thanks,

Barry

customerservice@kahunacorals.com

Congrats! :)

Look into the use of the 20K bulb though. From what I understand, clams do much better under 10K bulbs. The 10K will be more intense than the 20K of the same wattage, plus an overall better spectrum for the clam. Check it out and see what you find.

Rob

You have plenty of light for that clam. Here are a few things to consider though. T. crocea usually live on live rock or coral not in the sand. Also, make sure to test for both Calcium and ALKALINITY and dose each of them according to the test results. It won't happed for several months, but once your clam starts growing he will deplete both CA and ALK fairly quickly. Sounds like your clam is going into a good situation, enjoy!

Much Thanks,

Barry

customerservice@kahunacorals.com

Interesting point on the LR. From what I've read, it will be happy in both, so long as it can burrow in.

And right now, it's really burrowed into my sandbed. The sides of the mantle are actually touching the sand, and it's about a 3" clam...so it's down in there good.

It might like a flat piece of rock under the sand where it can attach to. Croceas and Maximas are rock clams so they like to attach, even though they are on the substrate. That will also facilitate moving the clam as then you can just move the rock around.

Barry's right on. Croceas are the only Tridacna that bore into rock. i'd take advantage of that.

Good choice on the clam species BTW, Croceas are the smallest, tho they are also one that needs the most light. (along with Maximas).

Try picking up Knop's Clam book. The translation could use some work, but otherwise it was very interesting. For example, your clam is a boy. want to know why? muhahaha...

Since it is fairly small, it will rely mostly on phyto feeding. Use a quality phyto like DT's. Bowl feeding is strongly recommended. I have a super crazy schedule right now so I can't bowl feed and just dose the tank with DT's and haven't seen any adverse effects though.

My As it grows larger, it'll rely more on light.

yeah, I have like a 4" sandbed and it used all of it to try and attach to the glass below. I've then since moved it up to a piece of LR, and it seems plenty happy up there, too.

I hope you have better luck than me and my first clam a few months ago...

I researched to HELL about everything and thought I was prepared. I got a nice 3.5 incher (beyond the danger zone of needing phyto/not enough mantle for photosyn), put it on my rocks under 150W DE Metal halides 10,000k in a shallow 12 inch high tank (20g long)...and STILL dosed a bit more DT's than before the clam...

kept the alk at 10, calc at 450, only 1 degree fluctuation in temperature daily, and only pH swing of 8.5-8.4 daily. i can go on and on, did it by TEXTBOOK man....

then 6 months later, the mantle started to crinkle and wrinkle slowly....some say it was the dreaded pinched mantle disease...who knows. then it just croaked....

I thought I could raise anything after years of experience with all sorts of acro and RBTA...but I have no confidence with clams..

anyone else fall to the dreaded pinched mantle disease?

:mellow: Don't mean to depress you, just sharing my sad experience with the one creature I could not raise successfully..

Archived