Coral Vue Hydros

BREAD's 20L mixed reef

BREAD

Well you could go with the fission protein skimmer , but i mean then it takes away space for your macro , but then again it is the only protien skimmer that will fit in there , i would go with a cpr backpack or remora , if it doesnt bite into your pocket book to much. and they dont take up that much space on the back of your tank

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First off, Tank looks fantastic. Great job.

I'm looking at upgrading my 15g to a 20 long myself. I'm just wondering what size return you are using? As well as, are you covering your intake for the CL with anything? If not are you worried about a snail (or something else for that matter) blocking the intake?

sea dan man - I'll look into the fission skimmer, thanks

Juiceworld - Thanks :D I used 3/4" bulkheads for my returns and it breaks into two 1/2" loclines. The intake is covered with a bulkhead screen.

EDIT: Looks like im gonna be picking up a fission pretty soon. I just wanna give it try even though it hasn't gotten such a great rep

got a few new things for my tank today..

green and pink echino.. i can't seem to get it right on my camera but the colors on this thing is crazy in person

DSC04302.jpg

thanks g0tfish!

and added a few more ceriths to the team

DSC04279.jpg

FIRST FISH! just picked up a midas blenny! This guy is a little monster and very hyperactive. The first few minutes for him were stressful for sure, I put him in the tank and I turn around for a maximum of 5 seconds and turn and hes gone. I look all around the tank and in the live rock and i can't find him. I look behind the tank and hes already gone carpet surfing ..WTF!? so I throw him back in and tumbles in the current but soon gets over it. He finds a spot near the sun coral to call his own and defends it quite well. He spotted a cerith crawling on the sand near him and charges at it, picks it up and swims to the other side of the tank, spits it out then quickly swims back. Then later when I start working on the corals next to him he bites me and leaves two indents on my finger and it was quite painful, I didn't realize that they had fangs.

sorry for the long post ..heres some pictures

DSC04315.jpg

DSC04317.jpg

thanks for the compliments guys.

im gonna be making a DIY skimmer out of some PVC pretty soon. I'll keep you guys updated on that, hopefully all goes well.

well I made the skimmer and its been running for a day now. It's still breaking in but the results so far are very promising.

heres a diagram of the skimmer, if anyone wants to see pics of the actual skimmer I'll see what I can do. PVC is pretty hard to take apart.

skimmer3.jpg

sitting in the AC fuge

DSC04322.jpg

looking good so far ..hasn't really collected much but we'll see what happens within the next few days.

DSC04321.jpg

thanks for taking a look see! :happy:

I put him in the tank and I turn around for a maximum of 5 seconds and turn and hes gone. I look all around the tank and in the live rock and i can't find him. I look behind the tank and hes already gone carpet surfing ..WTF!?

haha that was pretty funny to read

Sparkling_Surfer

I should have mentioned that they are notorious jumpers. I lost my first one because the feeding lid was propped open. My current one, Willow, made it to the back compartment last week.

He looks slightly stressed in those pictures, very pale. Has he changed color yet? If not then I guess it's just his natural coloration! It's funny, yours has a completely different profile than mine. Weird.

Any more pictures??

Oh yea, and they have fangs! Haha...mine nibbles on my arm whenever it is in the tank...she has only left marks twice. :happy:

Yeah, I've heard that they're crazy jumpers but I wasn't expecting it to happen that quickly, lol. I'm always worried that I'm gonna come home and see him on the floor or something. I even had a dream just lastnight where he jumped out and I couldn't catch him cause he kept jumping away from me.

It's weird, when he swims around he turns a very bright yellow but right when he goes back to perching he turns all pale. How big is your midas, cause im wondering if their colors fade as they get older? Mine is around 4 1/2" - 5" I'll try to get a good pic of it when its out swimming.

BTW, does your midas turn a light grey with dark brown stripes when it gets scared? I just found it a bit odd when I saw banana(my bros girlfriend named him) do this.

great setup. Your midas looks very nice and healthy. I just got a small midas and while I was acclimating him he had the brown stripes, I thought he wasn't going to make it. Sure enough he's doing great now... cool fish for sure.

nice job on the aquascaping

Sparkling_Surfer

You really should get a top put on that tank...I'd hate for you to lose such an awesome fish like that. I still kick myself for leaving the feeding lid open (heat control).

Haha, I just held a ruler to the tank to see how big she is and she put her dorsal fin up really high and wasn't to sure about it...she was swimming around in circles, I suppose trying to intimidate me. Lol, she is about 3 inches right now...I got her last July and she was less than 2 inches. As she has matured she has developed more color-- even a purple line down the top of her dorsal fin. Barney, blenny #1, already had this line when I got him. He was about 4 inches long with brown stripes most of the time (not due to stress).

Nothing scares Willow anymore (lol besides my ruler). Whenever I move my tank and bag her, she gets the dark lines but that is the only time I see them. I think shes pretty happy with her home. It might just take time for your blenny to get used to the new surroundings. But like I said before, it could be his natural coloration and personality- Willow and Barney looked (and behaved) completely different.

Oh yea, I call Willow "my little banana" sometimes...haha.

But PLEASE, put a piece of glass over your tank!! B)

Yeah putting up their dorsal fin is probably a defenvise posture because thats what my midas did before he bit me, lol.

I'm thinking of getting a better top since the egg crate didn't do a very good job at keeping him inside the tank. I'm gonna see if I can make a top with needlepoint canvas since it has smaller holes. My little banana is so cool, I wouldn't want to lose him!

• 2 weeks later...

thanks floorlord!

I won't be doing an updates anytime soon unfortunately. I fell asleep behind the wheel AGAIN and rear ended someone on the freeway so I gotta save up some moohla to pay for damages.

• 3 weeks later...

wooooh just swooped up 4line wrasse from tongs today! He's quite the character, alot of fun to watch. I don't have any pics right now because my parents took my camera when they left their kids for the bahamas :angry: but i'll get some soon.

PICTORAS!! flash really helps when ur trying to get a pic of a fast fish, they never come out blurry! ..AMAZING :lol:

172e0286.jpg

8e6b1142.jpg

DSC04565.jpg

DSC04566.jpg

Archived