Pod Your Reef

WARNING! AQUAPOD 12 SHOCKING!

Nano93

LMAO, I don't even know what the problem is with the pod and I think this conversation is hilarious! Thanks for the laughs guys/girls! Happy Reefing!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a major wiring issue, as you can see from the photos, all the black wires (live wire) are connected together.

This is a serious hazard and should be corrected. I took the pictures from my Aquapod before modding it.

IMG_0523.jpg

IMG_0550.jpg

I dont know why anyone would buy a aquapod of a nanocube , they have all gotten bad reviews , the aquapod , already... Nanocube cracks , now aquapod has a sucky light....Thats why i stick with aga and oceanic...

I'd like to clarify something in regards to the Nano Cube.... The model that's got the bad rep for cracks is the 24gal and not all ( but too many ) show signs of cracking... The 12gal NC is still IMO a great little tank... In regards to the Aquapod, there's no excuse to sell a product that has the potential to harm the consumer no matter if it's published in their users guide or not... You should never have live current flowing to an "unplugged" plug... If they wanted you to use dual timers, they should still have wired it with seperate and isolated ballasts....

Bob

In regards to the Aquapod, there's no excuse to sell a product that has the potential to harm the consumer no matter if it's published in their users guide or not...

Is it printed in the user's guide that way? I'm under the impression that the wiring we are seeing on these pods is a screw up, not a design.

Is it printed in the user's guide that way? I'm under the impression that the wiring we are seeing on these pods is a screw up, not a design.

Cut your wires and void your warranty....eh.....just remove one bulb, and run it with one light, then the power does not have a way to flow out to the plug end.......or you can always buy a AGA or Oceanic.

Nanocustoms is starting to sell these tanks since they have stopped doing business with JBJ. Has anyone heard from them how they are modding their setups? Are they rewiring the whole hood?

From the thread it hints that

Not all Aquapods are wired equally.

Not all Aquapods shock there owners when only one side is plugged in.

If you plug something like this into two diffrent phased outlets (Unlikely except in a busness that runs dual UPS's) and get the resulting fireworks display on film, that should be enough to get them off there buts and make a public statement. Current USA is a great company and Im sure they will recall the hoods that are wired this way. The smart move for Current USA is to send replacement hoods ASAP! With pre paid postage boxes to take back the old ones.

Give them a chance to react before you judge them on this.

lol. They should toss in a free protine skimmer for your troubles too...

I know I'll be paying close attention to there PR statement.

I posted up on RC, but the Aquapod I bought for my son was fine. It works on two seperate Marineland timers and don't have any shocking issues at all. I even double checked the wiring but seems like everything was fine.

Just curious - has anyone modded one yet with an HQI light?

stoney waters

JBJ made a PR statement on this forum. It didn't matter, they were flamed right out of here. Never heard from them again.

The smart move for Current USA is to send replacement hoods ASAP! With pre paid postage boxes to take back the old ones.

Everyone knows this is not going to happen.

Nanocustoms is starting to sell these tanks since they have stopped doing business with JBJ. Has anyone heard from them how they are modding their setups? Are they rewiring the whole hood?

Where did you get this? Chris of Nanotuners still sells the JBJ and actually recommends the 12DX over the Aquapod! In fact he said he would recommend the 24 as well but he wants to wait to see how the new thicker glass 2006 model performs. He told me so himself yesterday.

Well this is my first post. Went to the LFS today to pick up a few items and the owner so graciuosly informed me that he recieved a letter from Current USA about the known problem with lighting. Anyhow I was told to take my tank down and bring it back to the LFS. So off I go everything goes into a plastic tub and tank goes back to LFS. Upon bringing the tank back I was informed the owner had just got off the phone with Current USA and that they have a fix that they are supposedly going to be sending out which consists a timer, instructions and a nice T-Shirt for those willing to deal with the problem and that he doesn't know if they will be doing a recall . After discussing this with the owner I basically upgraded to a 24g. Cube for an extra 20 bucks. Oh well time to set this one up and see what happens.

Sounds good senn.

I knew current-usa wouldn't leave their customers dry.

(although I still disagree that the dual timer is the correct way to fix the problem)

ps...i already have a current-usa shirt :P

How in the hell can a company release a product with such an issue and expeect to correct it by sending out a free timer and a t-shirt? That's ludicrous. They should be sued.

Well this is my first post. Went to the LFS today to pick up a few items and the owner so graciuosly informed me that he recieved a letter from Current USA about the known problem with lighting. Anyhow I was told to take my tank down and bring it back to the LFS. So off I go everything goes into a plastic tub and tank goes back to LFS. Upon bringing the tank back I was informed the owner had just got off the phone with Current USA and that they have a fix that they are supposedly going to be sending out which consists a timer, instructions and a nice T-Shirt for those willing to deal with the problem and that he doesn't know if they will be doing a recall . After discussing this with the owner I basically upgraded to a 24g. Cube for an extra 20 bucks. Oh well time to set this one up and see what happens.

What is this? People are getting shocked and the company is going to send out a FREE T-shirt. :wacko: Also the Free timer is NOT going to help. It makes me want to buy a Aquapod for the "T-Shirt". Give me a break..

The timer will not solve the problem. The problem here is not that the light turn on when the should not, the problem here is the safety hazzard, an electric shock that can injure and even kill someone if the touch the unplug plug. Give me a break!!!! That is so irresponsible...

my aquapod is ok, i just tested it. my fan burnt out on day one, i emailed Ike at Current USA and he said he would either ship me a new fan or hood, (my choice) free of charge. i told him the fan would be fine. thats good customer service.

they are giving you a new hood because a fan stopped working? hmm strange we have ppl with electrical problems with there hoods but just sending us a shirt and timer? thats not right at all

i'd say request a new hood if you have one thats running voltage back thru an unplugged cord. or return the whole tank. i sent a nicely worded email stating my problem with the fan and received a nice reply. had i sent a ticked-off email i doubt i would have gotten the same reply, i would not accept a timer for an incorrectly wired hood. but i am hoping i get a t-shirt with my new fan.

maybe it should be named the Shockuapod.

They did it!

http://www.current-usa.com/products/safetyrecall.html

From the thread it hints that

Not all Aquapods are wired equally.

Not all Aquapods shock there owners when only one side is plugged in.

If you plug something like this into two diffrent phased outlets (Unlikely except in a busness that runs dual UPS's) and get the resulting fireworks display on film, that should be enough to get them off there buts and make a public statement. Current USA is a great company and Im sure they will recall the hoods that are wired this way. The smart move for Current USA is to send replacement hoods ASAP! With pre paid postage boxes to take back the old ones.

lol. They should toss in a free protine skimmer for your troubles too...

They did it!

http://www.current-usa.com/products/safetyrecall.html

"This recall only affects Model #7050 with no serial number. "

Archived