Top Shelf Aquatics

16 gallon bow reef wall biotype - dialup beware

masterswimmer

masterswimmer

Thanks tiny. Unfortunately I've got quite a few mushroom hitchikers on some of my bottom LR anyway. I will weed them out as they spread. But there are now softies in there and I didn't even put them in there intentionally.

Russ

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple of montipora caps would look gnarley growing off of there. May I suggest the tennis ball yellow variant? You can also having them grow together.

Removing that sand wouldve let you cover the bottom in GSP, too.

masterswimmer

jmt, not really looking to add any softies to this tank. So covering the bottom in a thin layer of sand was more for looks. Thanks for the cap suggestion.

A few people have asked me exactly how I did the mod for the collection cup. I posted another thread to detail it if anyone is interested. Here's the link:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t=0#entry676049

Happy Holidays everyone,

Russ

NEVER SATISFIED REFFER

I was wondering if anybody else thinks this looks more like a deep water reef??? I really don't know what depth different corals come from, but it would be cool if those corals were cool and you could put them in this tank to make it authentic!!!

masterswimmer

Hey Never, my thoughts were very much in line with yours. A reef wall for the most part graduates from shallow to deep. Depending on the bulb I plan to keep on the tank will help determine what 'depth' wall I will populate with the associated coral (or at least try).

Thanks for putting some thought into it. I appreciate the feedback.

Russ

masterswimmer

I just added two frags I got from Steve Tyree. Here are a couple of pix, they are the pix from his tank of the mother colony. I have frags of them. Macro pix in a bow tank are a bit tricky. I have some photography lessons I have to take.

Echinpora lamellosa 'Blue Chalice' (pic on left)

Acropora aspera Chuuk Shaggy Stag (pic on right)

Click thumbnails for larger pic.

Russ

post-15292-1135882099_thumb.jpg

post-15292-1135882168_thumb.jpg

masterswimmer
get some zoos and sun coral to brighten things up!

Regal, my first goal is to keep it primarily SPS. I also love the sun corals, I'm just not into getting non-photosynthetic corals. I don't have the patience to deal with direct feedings.

I did get a few more corals. I got a beautiful green w/purple rim cap, a very colorful Acro green slimer, and another killer Acro in a very very light blue hue. Not sure what kind of Acro it is yet. Wasn't doing well from the seller, I fragged it and cut away some good tissue to try to stop the RTN. Got it cheap so I figured I'd try to save it.

Pix will be forthcoming very soon.

Russ

masterswimmer

Here's some of the livestock I've added so far. Remember, the frags are small and they don't do justice to the wall.

This first one is a Steve Tyree LE of an Acro (sp?) Shaggy Chuuk Blue. Color hasn't shown itself too well yet. But it is getting better daily:

SteveTyreeAcroShaggyChuuk.jpg

Here's another Steve Tyree LE. This one is an Echino Lamellosa Challice Blue:

SteveTyreeEchinoChalice.jpg

This frag was given to me from my friend Jim. It's a green with purple rimmed monti cap:

greenwithpurplerimmonti.jpg

Here's a shot from the top down of my green slimer. Sorry for the MH reflection in the pic:

greenslimerfromtopdown.jpg

Unknown Acro (sp?), just loved the color. Pic, once again, doesn't do it justice:

Acropowderblue.jpg

And finally, my coral banded shrimp:

CoralBandedShrimp.jpg

I hope you all enjoy.

Russ

• 2 weeks later...
masterswimmer

Ok, been awhile. Time for some updated pix.

Crocea 3"+ (top view):

centerclamtopnextday.jpg

Same Crocea (front view):

centerclamfrontnextday.jpg

Mycedium (not a frag. 7"):

mycediumnextday.jpg

Russ

masterswimmer

Thank you Scarf. I have a FTS but being that most everything is a frag, it just looks soooooo empty and barren. I'll see what I can do by the end of the week though. This way it'll show a progression, from drab to less drab, lol.

Russ

I'm going to steal your idea for my 30 cube :P

I have the CSS 65 on the way too and would like to hide it. The only change I plan to make is to paint the diffuser flat black to blend in with the back of the tank.

10" Red Devil

I applaud you sir! Very original and thoughtful setup.

Now for the constructive critisim:

Take it fwiw, but the rock dose not look like it goes together or natural enough I can see tons of the egg crating and it bothers me, I know this is probably impossible now, but I would like to see the rocks more jigsawed together so it completely hides the eggcrating.

That being said I know this is an extremely hard feat that you have performed so it is just a minor critism.

Way to go! Looks great!

Take it fwiw, but the rock dose not look like it goes together or natural enough I can see tons of the egg crating and it bothers me, I know this is probably impossible now, but I would like to see the rocks more jigsawed together so it completely hides the eggcrating.

Did you see the FTS on the second page? I only can see alittle bit of eggcrate, not enought to say anything about IMO lol.

Did you see the FTS on the second page? I only can see alittle bit of eggcrate, not enought to say anything about IMO lol.

:blink: WHOA! this is a friggin SWEET! tank, lol, at first i never really liked SPS, but i dunno, they are pretty bad @$$ little corals. im even thinking of doing my 2.5g (YES, 2.5g) into a tiny SPS frag tank. maybe get one of the 12" x2 18w coralifes. a nice powerhead, at least 300GPH *evil laughter* MWAHAHAHAHA thats 150x turnover! lol, thats what origionally turned me off, lighting intensity, and waterflow, but i dunno, as i said, they are pretty BAD@$$ little corals!

FTS!! Your tank inspired me to do a liverock wall in my puffer's twenty. I'll put a pick up whenever I take one....

Archived