Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

16 gallon bow reef wall biotype - dialup beware

masterswimmer

masterswimmer
hey, nice job! how much did all this cost you? without the cost of the tank.

Thank you anjay. Not sure what components you're referring to if not including the tank. It wasn't an inexpensive venture, that's for sure.

Russ

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
scarf_ace1981

now that is bad a$$. i especially like the 'shelf' rock. man can't wait to see this puppy stocked. at first i thought the eggcrate would show but you did a great job of covering it up. this rockwork reminds me of the aquarium tanks.

masterswimmer

scarf_ace1981,

Wow scarf, very nice things to hear. I appreciate all the nice comments.

Funny thing is, I had to convince my wife to let me put a tank in her living room. Now she sits in front of it 'empty' (of coral & fish of course) and says that she loves it just the way it is! Now that was a 180 deg turn around.

Thanks again,

Russ

scarf_ace1981,

Funny thing is, I had to convince my wife to let me put a tank in her living room. Now she sits in front of it 'empty' (of coral & fish of course) and says that she loves it just the way it is! Now that was a 180 deg turn around.

hey. nice to know that someone in your house approves of tanks! anyways, by stuff I meant the corals and materials needed to mount them. Also, how much light do you have going under that hood?

CROCKY!!! NICE!!! well i have got to say.. you wanted to acheive a different look and well you've done it, but with this tank soon going to be the tank of the month on reefcentral it ant gunna be anything different for a while , soon EVERYONE is gunna want to do it....all because of you. NICE

Also yes monti caps are a must on the back wall , but be care for they will grow like monsters and shadow corals... Love it

-Daniel

masterswimmer

Daniel, thanks buddy. Those are some seriously nice comments. I do appreciate it.

I just got some southdown to put a thin layer (2" or so) in there. I'll probably get to that tomorrow. Will post more pix after it's in (and hopefully not too much of a sandstorm.

Thanks again,

Russ

That tank looks amazing. Love it. Some clown gobies would be perfect for it, as they love to perch and those shelves look ideal. Nice work.

masterswimmer

Thank you Caesar777. Clown gobies are a real good idea. I was also thinking about Yellow Watchman Gobies. Keep an eye out and see what direction it takes :D .

Thanks again,

Russ

Hey Russ, I wouldn't buy any Clown Gobies, They have a poisonous layer of mucus on their skin. Which, through my own experience, is capable of bleaching coral.

That poison thing isn't true. They do like to nibble sps slime, though, but ime it doesn't cause much trouble at all.

Any small goby would be cool, either way--Stonogobiops nematodes (barber-pole/hi-fin), Yasa Hashe, etc.

That poison thing isn't true. They do like to nibble sps slime, though, but ime it doesn't cause much trouble at all.

Any small goby would be cool, either way--Stonogobiops nematodes (barber-pole/hi-fin), Yasa Hashe, etc.

Not true? Why did the one I have seem to bleach each coral it preferred to lay on?

It was eating the slime coating, OR it was random RTN/STN (why I hate sps). Some people's corals seem to be more sensitive.

Awesome looking tank, and excellent work! Just my 2 cents, I would watch out for detritus build-up in the space b/w the 'wall' and back glass. You probably could just blow it out occasionally and let the skimmer/water changes take care of it.

It was eating the slime coating, OR it was random RTN/STN (why I hate sps). Some people's corals seem to be more sensitive.

if you hate SPS...and when you posted a few blurry pics of your tank...you said you got rid of most of your softies....so what is it that you have now??? LPS???? and what does RTN and STN stand for...thanks in advance

Josh

Yup, I'm an LPS and zoas person. And cool shrooms. Granted, I like SPS, but that rtn/stn thing is just too much of a ###### to deal with.

STN = slow tissue necrosis. RTN, as stated, is rapid. Can be triggered by various things, or happen randomly.

fun....one more reason for me not to get SPS..anyway back to the tank...sorry for highjacking... BTW..i love the vertical wall....placing coral will be hard though....good luck...cnt wait to see the finished tank...

masterswimmer
Awesome looking tank, and excellent work! Just my 2 cents, I would watch out for detritus build-up in the space b/w the 'wall' and back glass. You probably could just blow it out occasionally and let the skimmer/water changes take care of it.

Thank you PF. Excellent point I didn't really think about. I can baste it back there, or I can even run a powerhead directed back there. Either way, something I did not think about.

Well here's the next pic update, and it didn't even take me another full year :D

I got the sand in, next step, some coral:

wallwithsand.jpg

Thanks for looking everyone,

Russ

Looking good! I've got to admit that I was skeptical about this setup. I didn't think a wall of rocks would look very good at all. You did an amazing job so far and it not only is unique, but looks awesome.

One suggestion, if I might... Since you've got all that open space in front part of the tank, the sand area looks a little bare. Have you thought about a clam there? I think that would look really fantastic and would serve as a nice 'centerpiece'. It looks like you've already got the lighting requirement down...

Keep up the good work, and I'll be following this thread!

masterswimmer

fras, Travis, thank you for the compliments. That shelf could be a Monti Cap, not sure. Could also be a mycedium, chalice....a few different things. It was in the rubble bin at the LFS I got it. I just 'saw' it as a nice shelf.

Smada77, thank you for giving me the time to turn your skepticism around! That sandbed is most definitely earmarked for at least one maybe two clams. And as far as 'asking' if you can make a suggestion, don't even ask, please. Just keep the suggestions, questions, yays and nays coming. I learn from anything constructive said. And I appreciate it. Just shows me that people are not only reading and following the progression, but also it's sparking the thought process and giving me an opportunity to improve upon my untested and untried setup.

Thanks again to everyone,

Russ

Archived