Cultivated Reef

Hippopus clam

bedavids

Does anybody know anything about the hippopus species Clam? I have kept crocea and maxxima and kept the sucessfuly. I am wondering about lighting, feeding, and if their mantle even opens wide enough to display. All the pictures i see have no info exept good for begginers no lights, food, current, or placement.

any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way they are only 2.5" , $25 and perfect size for nano reefs.

If you want a colorful display clam, Hippopus is not for you. Their shells only spread a little, the mantle doesn't spread past the shells' edges, and the color is all gray.

If you've kept Crocea well and seen growth (over a year, at least), then Hippopus will be no problem. NIce price for a rare clam, though is it worth it for such an ugly thing? ;)

Ill check yahoo for information but was wondering if anyone has kept these clams. I have no knowledge of anyone having these clams. They do not seem to be rare, they are up for sale regularly on alot of sites. ill check yahoo and post what i find.

Thanx Caesar

The Hippopou clam is a good beginner clam because of its lower lighting needs. They are usually sold as 3" or smaller. They do get very large one that is supposed to get larger than the Gigas. Its color varies from brown, grey green, and yellow, with vivid stripes and sometimes ultra blue rim. I do not know the growth rate but it must take a long time to get huge. It is good for a nano but will have to be removed as the size gets bigger.

Thanx caesar for the suggestion, i will think about keeping this clam some more before i buy one, i would really be interested in any info about its growth rate.

Archived