Top Shelf Aquatics

clam keeping

reefer21

Totally agree that clams shouldnt be kept under sub-par lighting. Just trying to convince caesar that T-5s are as good as halides in most applications :P and "flourescents" shouldnt be used so generally.

I am vary intrigued by T5 HO lighting and have seen some great results with it. When I said sub par I meant VHO and PC (When used in deep applications).

To be honost I never thought that T-5 HO are as intense as they actually are. I had a 250w DE pendent before i switched to the T-5s and the T-5s are easily as powerful as the halide if not more powerful.

For staight SPS tanks though, i would probebly still go halides because of the ability to go with higher wattages. One of my LFS has an SPS dominated display tank with 400w halides over most of the tank but they have a 1000w over a section of it and the colors they are getting in their acros are stunning and noticably brighter than under the 400w.

Just trying to convince caesar that T-5s are as good as halides in most applications :P and "flourescents" shouldnt be used so generally.

Dont think you have anyone to convince of anything. You are the best judge as to how things are growing/dying in your tank. Do whatever works..if it starts to look like it isnt working, upgrade your lighting (if you find it necessary to keep the clam). I think the hard fast rules dont always apply to EVERY situation.

Oh, and I agree that giving beginners sub-par advice isnt good, but give the guy a break. If he says its working for him under his conditions, then why doubt him. I think everyone is so quick to doubt people just because they dont do it "your" way or the traditional way. Recommend to the individual that he may get better success with the brighter lights but please, never tell anyone that their stuff is destined to die unless you have been standing next to him, viewing his tank, its inhabitants, and monitoring his water parameters for several months.

Again, remember the old fast rules about reef tanks in anything less than a 55. "Wont work!" "Not stable enough",etc... That's what the so called "experts" used to say!

To be honost I never thought that T-5 HO are as intense as they actually are. I had a 250w DE pendent before i switched to the T-5s and the T-5s are easily as powerful as the halide if not more powerful.

For staight SPS tanks though, i would probebly still go halides because of the ability to go with higher wattages. One of my LFS has an SPS dominated display tank with 400w halides over most of the tank but they have a 1000w over a section of it and the colors they are getting in their acros are stunning and noticably brighter than under the 400w.

I can't wait to see what they look like under 1,000,000 watts :P

Archived