ReefCleaners.org

Healthy clam?

TTU_reefer

I added a clam to my NC6 3 days ago, and am wondering how he is doing. I driped him for 2 hours before adding him to my established reef. He is a Purple and brown Maxima, about 3.5" long. My NC6 has about 7WPG and he is at the very top around 3.5" from the surface. He opened full the first day and every day after, i am feeding him PHytoMax for now. Im wondering if he is healthy,and hints that show health problems? Thanks alot

My NC6 has about 7WPG

7WPG means nothing......I have 9.3 WPG (7w bulb over 3/4ga) on my Petco Pico, but I wouldn't think about a clam. I assume your using PC? Unfortunately, after ~3", clams are mostly photosynthetic and require more intense lighting like VHO, HOT5, or MH.

Although people (Danano, Copps, and Brooklyn Johnny) have done Clams under PCs......they're rare!! Also, in those cases, they were using smaller <3" clams and feeding phtyo.

Also, clams are very sensitive to water conditions and "suck up" calcium. So be prepared!

Good Luck.

7WPG means nothing......I have 9.3 WPG (7w bulb over 3/4ga) on my Petco Pico, but I wouldn't think about a clam. I assume your using PC? Unfortunately, after ~3", clams are mostly photosynthetic and require more intense lighting like VHO, HOT5, or MH.

Although people (Danano, Copps, and Brooklyn Johnny) have done Clams under PCs......they're rare!! Also, in those cases, they were using smaller <3" clams and feeding phtyo.

Also, clams are very sensitive to water conditions and "suck up" calcium. So be prepared!

Good Luck.

Thanks alot, yea im using a two part cal. buffer and have a protein skimmer. Im about to upgrade the PCs another 18w. But i love that damn clam, so if he must go back to the store...well he will. But he looks happy, what im really looking for is signs of poor health.

Retracting of the mantle, bleaching (localized or systemic), gaping of the incurrent siphon......that's what you want to look for.

THANK YOU...thats perfect. The incurrent siphon is acting normaly, nothing outta the norm. He is fully open and purple and brown. What will the bleaching look like? If i see any would i be able to save him by moving him under a MH?

Brooklyn Johnny

Excellent info and long time no see onthefly, but you do know that I am Copps on RC don't you? :D

Hey Johnny! Yeah I knew you're Copps too....I was running out the door when I typed it! You still running the kitchen nano? Or have you stepped up to the big time like Dan?

TTU - Like PF said, bleaching will definetly stand out as a pale spot/areas of the mantle. I'd recommend you pic up a copy of Knop's Clam book. I bit pricey, but very usefull if you want to keep clams.

PInching of the mantle is another common sign of problems. Post a photo--many problems are unnoticeable to the beginner.

With clams, the first sign of trouble is that they turn brown.

Zooxanthellae is the symbiotic organism(?) in the mantle that allows them to photosynthesize. If there is insufficient light, the Zoo will be ejected in an attempt to find ones that are more compatible to the light they are getting. In an enclosed aquarium there is almost no chance of finding the correct Zoo.

Zooxanthellae is what gives a clam it's brilliant colors. After all the Zoo has been ejected, they look brown (because that is its "default" color).

There are many things that happen before the clam turns brown. Mantle pinching, gaping, not opening fully, etc.

Thanks guys! Well the clam looks really good right now, when i got him he was very healthy looking and purple and brown. Some one said brown was bad? From the top he is Green and black. I have him about 2" from the lights and feed him phyto every 3 days. He is extremely hardy, he lived threw a roommate enduced tank crash where my xenia died. I will try to get a picture but its hard with my crappy camera. Thanks again yall

Man i wish i could get a good photo...its like a dark purple. It was this coloration under the stores MH. its bright blue, with dark purple, ill get a picture soon, thanks yall

The key is keeping the calcium and alk stable. (400 and 3.5-4, respectively... That second one is meq/L, NOT dKH.)

Archived