Coral Vue Hydros

Pico Contest Questions! - Read Rules Before Posting!

Gilman

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Without using a standard tank across the board, the contest becomes 1) very hard to judge, and 2) set on an uneven playing field.
i thought that's why you have Stock and Custom categories though.

you want a level playing field you go Stock. it's uniformed and orderly.

anything goes (except volume, 2.5g) in the Custom. no holds barred.

This is also my take on it.

there should be a prize for who ever grows the most hair algae

omgomgomg it might be worthy of a tshirt. omgomgomg

Also exactly why a foam fake rockwall doesn't belong in [sTOCK].

shivametimbas
there should be a prize for who ever grows the most hair algae

heh, i am going with a hair algae and aiptasia theme for my pico. gonna be sweet.

Also exactly why a foam fake rockwall doesn't belong in [sTOCK].
hmmm, i would disagree.

the foam isn't a tank modification or even a significant auxiliary equipment modification (just my pers definition for automatic Custom designation).

it's merely a substitute or variation of LR or possibly classified as a semi-decoration. e.g. a bubbling treasure chest wouldn't make an entry be pushed into Custom, would it?

the foam is just an alternative LR. like if the entrant used GARF-rock, aquacultured-TBS rock, tufa, lava, or even Legos.

otoh, if he used the foam to sculpt an overflow or make a volcano/UGF island that somehow increased the total volume over 2.5g, then it goes into the Custom category imho.

I read the rules and don't see anything about not being able to enter an existing pico system. Gil subsequently made comments about "no starting early" so I'm guessing I can't enter my existing pico. Is that right?

Why not? I thought the point was to ensure that someone can maintain a healthy system for 6 months...

To enter the contest you must take a picture of your empty tank with a sock and cd in it. That rule makes entering an already setup pico fairly impossible.

Everyone is basically starting at the same point with their contest systems.

I don't see how it is fairly impossible.. someone could always go purchase a new 2.5g AGA, take a picture, then claim that their existing tank is the new one.

I don't see how it is fairly impossible.. someone could always go purchase a new 2.5g AGA, take a picture, then claim that their existing tank is the new one.

It's fairly impossible without being a complete cheat.

There is no way in a contest like this to know what people are actually doing with their systems. I like to think people will be more honest than the possiblity you laid out above with a contest like this...

ps. You just never know what I may pull to keep everyone from doing just that btw. This contest will have regular progression pics in order to compete. It will be difficult to go back in time with progression pics and put something next to the tank that I specify.

adamjonpeterson

Quick question before I set-up my tank. I have a Tetra Whisper Power Filter 20 that I want to use. I can't find the damn gph for it anywhere. If someone can find it and let me know if it is less than 160gph, I want to use it as it is large enough to put my heater in.

This contest will have regular progression pics in order to compete. It will be difficult to go back in time with progression pics and put something next to the tank that I specify.

That's the key.... plus how much of a jump could someone really get? A couple of weeks? The thread announcing the contest was posted like three weeks before the contest started. This contest is supposed to go on for six months right? Yes, I would think it would be poor sportsmanship if someone started a couple weeks before me, but really I would not care. Now, if someone enterd a tank that had been running for six months already? Well that's where Gills surprise item of the week/month/whatever comes in. If a tank that was supposed to be set up three weeks ago has coralline plastered all over the glass, pipes and pumps I'm sure that person would be called out.

That would be a mod yes. Please do not stick things on your powerhead. I believe this was answered earlier (although spraybar wasn't mentioned specifially).

Sorry for lagging on an answer, didn't see this thread had been bumped.

:)

Blind Tree Frog

I thought about that. Thinking the competition might be a bit too stiff for what I'm thinking. But with how anal some people seem to be on what belongs in the stock category (and I mean that with love), i wanted to check.

And is PC lighting the required lighting (if any used) or can LED's be used instead?

Archived