ReefCleaners.org

Pico Contest Questions! - Read Rules Before Posting!

Gilman

I will do my best to field questions about the upcoming Pico Contest in this thread. If you ask something that is in posted the Official Rules Thread I will more than likely herass you unendingly about it, so read the rules before asking a question.

Please don't post general banter in this thread. If you want to talk about the contest, please goto the General Contest Discussion Thread (previously contest announcement thread) that is already 15 pages long.

Thanks!

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously better photos are to your advantage in this contest. If you arent able to communicate how amazing your tank looks, it will be difficult to win. That said, I would say sure, you are welcome to take part with a crappy camera (as long as the community can make out ruler marks for custom category entrants).

This contest (both categories) definitely relies heavily on digital images to show progress and to share your entry. Again, you may be able to borrow a better equipped camera periodically or for judging photo/s. Some cameraphones have pretty decent cameras on them now too if you happen to know someone with one. Here in socal every other person has a cameraphone.

Can we use a larger filter (like 200gph) and tone it down using the filter intake valve in the simple catagory?

From da rules:

POWERHEADS AND HANG ON BACK FILTERS

Participants in the stock contest will be allowed one or the other; must not exceed 160gph. This restriction allows for a broad range of Powerheads and HOB Filters. See manufacturers specs for your particular model to see if it is allowed or not. You may not modify a higher flow HOB or PH to create a flow that is within an acceptable range.

I would not be modifying the filter in any way. You know how filers usually have a flow adjuster on the intake tube? I was planning on just turning the flow down with the flow adjuster.

I would not be modifying the filter in any way. You know how filers usually have a flow adjuster on the intake tube? I was planning on just turning the flow down with the flow adjuster.

Hadn't thought of that. The rules do limit the flow to 160gph though.

Gilman? Ruling please!

Can we use a larger filter (like 200gph) and tone it down using the filter intake valve in the simple catagory?

I'm think that I'm going to go with a no on that. There are just too many filters that are outfitted with "within the rules" pumps out of the box to allow one that is not (even if there is indeed a flow control of some sort).

now...here's a rather odd question -

the best lighting I have is on my empty 2.5G tank. WOuld it be possible for me to just stick my corals in there with water and a little substrate for the week, then drain it out, take everything out, take the picture, and set it up the way it should be?

that might be kinda confusing...basically, what I'm asking is, for my corals' health, can I set up the tank today, then tear it down friday night or saturday, then set it up again?

I'm not even sure what you mean exactly, but it seems you want to switch tanks somehow during the contest.

No. Either category. Your contest entry tank is supposed to be setup and running (as itself) for the contest.

no, I don't want to switch tanks during the contest. this is exactly what I want to do:

I want to add water and put my corals in my tank TODAY (8/10). that means, bare bottom, minimal filtration, heat and light. I'm NOT setting up the tank.

on SATURDAY (8/15) I want to tear down the tank so that I'm starting with a clean slate like everyone else, and take the picture to show that I"m starting fresh

then, on SUNDAY (8/16) I want to set the same identical tank up with all the live rock, etc that I will be using in the contest...

That way, my corals will be under bright lights and I don't have to watch them die for a week, but I will still be setting up my tank from scratch on saturday.

Sure. You can have another tank and transfer frags/corals into your project tank. There will be a cutoff however for new additions at some point.

Er... to me it sounds like he wants to set up his 2.5 now, then take it all down on saturday to snap the entry pic and set it all back up again. Head start?

that's what I want to do. I don't mean for it to be a head start, and it certainly won't, as the only pieces that are going into the tank NOW are wee little frags. As I said, there isn't any setup involved, it will be 3 rocks with frags on them, and the equipment. the LR and such would go in on sunday.

Er... to me it sounds like he wants to set up his 2.5 now, then take it all down on saturday to snap the entry pic and set it all back up again. Head start?

There is no real difference in someone setting up a tank to hold frags for the contest and someone who has a display tank that they plan on moving frags and/or liverock from to their contest tank.

I don't see a problem with this.

ps mickey. please change your avatar to something with less panties thanks.

Archived