Innovative Marine Aquariums

A clam for a beginner?

whitney

Let me first start by saying that I am very, VERY new to reef-keeping. I've done tons of reading, asked loads of questions, and am actually starting to understand the acronymns used on this forum...

My tank is on order from the LFS and should be here soon. Of all the available livestock I want to keep, a clam is high up on the list. I know I will have to be very patient before I can responsibly add a clam.

My questions:

1.) what species would you recommend for a beginner

2.) how much light will I need to keep it happy, healthy, and thriving

3.) how long would you suggest I wait after the cycle is complete before I try the clam? 6 months? 1 year? Longer...?

4.) would you recommend any additional fixtures to help keep the environment right for the clam

With all due respect, I would prefer to not receive posts from those people out there who, against all expert recommendations, are attempting to keep clams in brand-new tanks with glorified flashlights for lighting. If you have managed to do this, kudos to you. I however, would prefer to stick with the more conventional methods of waiting until the system is fully mature, thoroughly lit, and ready for the addition of a clam. I am commited to doing everything in my power to have a thriving reef tank, not a marginal one.

That said, let me know how you think I should proceed. Once the tank arrives I can get on with configuring the lighting, and I would prefer to go ahead and buy a set-up that will meet my immediate needs as well as my future needs.

Thanks,

Whitney

1. Deresa is probably the easiest as I believe it has the lowest lighting requirments of the common clams kept in this hobby. If you are serious about doing things right and provide the correct lighting, I would say most other clams such as maxima and crocea shouldn't be too hard to keep.

2. Depends on the tank depth. Usually Metal Halides are best.

3. I would say 6 months.

4. A good two part calcium/alkalinity system like ESV b-ionic or Warner Marine calcimax

Got a link or article that can tell me more about this "two part calcium/alkalinity system?" Is it something I should have in place right from teh get-go, or should I wait until I have a stable system and start shopping for a clam?

I'd definitely wait until you have some experience... Derasas can be less difficult than other clams, but they still take healthy, stable params. I'd go for the "wait until I have a stable system [6 months] and start shopping for a clam".

How about t5 lights? I have been looking at either a 4 X 24watt t5 HO fixture, or the 6 X 24 watt... It's going over a 14g tank (16" deep before the DSB).

I'm really worried about the heat out-put of metal halides. The thermostat in my house is regularly set to 77 degrees during the summer. If MH lights brought that temp up by just 3 degrees I'd be pushing the limits of the acceptable temperature range, right?

Nope, up to 82 is fine. The main issue, even with lower temps, is fluctuation--needs to change not more than 1-2 degrees day to night and back. Preferably no change, of course.

My other concern is that the smalletst MH is 150w. Then add a small actinic for sunrise/sunset... Isn't that an awful lot of light for 14 gallons?

There are 70 watt MH, actually, including from sponsors right on this site (LampDr, etc). Check the classifieds; there's always someone either selling or looking for a 70-watter.

A 150 would certainly fry it, yes.

I've only ever seen the one little pendant fixture, are there others? I didn't like to look of that one, plus it needs to be wired to a ballast... I'm just a newbie - something tells me to stick with a pre-fab fixture for my first rodeo...

I have a T.derasa and a T.maxima under 4x 24w T5's. The derasa is on the substrate and the maxima is higher up on a ledge. I have seen a huge maxima kept on a barebottom in 900mm of water under T5's in a dealer's tank.

i have 150W MH over 10 gallon standard... works well for me... temp issues can arise over summertime, but everyone has temp issues over summer... currently have a crocea, doing awesome under those lights..

for me, it was an issue of long term sustainability... why go with 70W when for a bit more money, you can get double the light?

i dont think 150W is too much light for 10... you just have to make sure you aquascape correctly to allow for shadowy areas for the less light tolerant species.

anyways, just my .00002 cents.

T5´s are now fashionable in Europe. In Germany, for instance, several municipal aquariums have been using T5´s for a while with success. The main advantages are lower consume, lower heating and bigger durability.

For what I´ve read, even T. croceas and T. maximas placed on the DSB (at least 20 inc. away from light) are thriving under T5.

In the USA, too. Croceas are THE most light-demanding clam, though, and need the intense rays of MH.

Archived