Pod Your Reef

Coral crazys' 2.5 Gallon tank with MH, will update often..Will have pics.!

coralcrazy

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i need to redo part of the hood it doesn't really sit on the tank, which is my fault because i really didn't measure the hood right.. I am going to have a carpenter fix it for me..i will also put the fans on the inside, but i prefer to have the ballast on the top just make my little desk have more room...thanks for the comments guys..

I would not have mounted the ballast on wood. Do you know how hot they get?Mount it on some metal with some space behind it. That way air can go around the ballest and cool it off. Watch out for smoke DUDE. Keep an eye on the HEAT that thing puts off.

BTW:Cjoy i just read the ballest has a safty shutdown feature...and is thermally protected.. that what is says on it..so i guess if it gets too hot it shuts down...and if it shuts down a lot i guess i will have to mount some metal onto the wood part and put some washers so that it is kind of suspended in the air.

the more i think about it the more you seem right...i guess i will put some thin piece of metal and make the ballest rise in the air. What would be a go idea for some spacers so the ballest will be somewhat suspended and anchored down....?

dude, do you not have any space behind your desk that you can put that ballast out of site? It just looks fugly up there like that.

BTW that was quite a bit of bumps! LOL

its not the factor of a place for the ballast it is just the wire to the ballast is to short to drop down anywhere i am just looking for a safe way to mount it on the hood. I wish i had more wire to drop it down. oh well..

those ballasts are made to be wired up!

Looks like you connected the ballast directly to your socket/fixture without running extra wire which is ok I guess... You could easily go buy some 18ga wire and extend it though. my .02

now since it will be a 13k light i will need to add some blue spectrum...so i ripped apart a red sea light and used the reflector and put it on the hood...the next and final step for the hood will be to add lunar lights.. I ordered some DIY lunar lights from ebay..and will put it together when i have some time..

Originally posted by Casabubu

Make a canopy

How and with what supplies..i am not a carpenter nor do i want to spend the time to make it..thus me paying some one to do it for me... and most people in college don't have a heavy duty drill or such not with them.

Archived