Top Shelf Aquatics

1st ReefOne Aquarium, 1st DIY Acrylic Tank

NewbieReefer

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crayon:

.220 plexi you could build probably up to 40 gallons with a 4.5-5" perimeter flange with 5" crossbraces. HTH

Supernip:

Um...ok

Im sorry but your hood cracks me up

:haha: yeah, its crooked/not level...

this is only funny b/c the rest of the tank looks like its from a mad scientist's lab....

im sure you'll clean it up....probably the last thing on your mind....

very nice tank btw......

as far as building acrylic tanks.....what thickness/type are you using, and where are you getting it??

oh yea, it didnt look the same after I removed all the trim and then put it back on after staining. It was flawless before I stained it. I used 3/8" GP that I got from my local supplier.

mybuickskill6979
Hey Guys,

mybuickskill6979:

Honestly, It cant be done with a dremel. Sorry to tell you that. What I would recommend is to have a plastics shop cut and clean the edges for you so all you have to do is glue it up. Otherwise you would need at least a circular saw and a good router(ie. 1 3/4 HP at least with a flush trim bit) 1/4" is good for tanks up to 18" in height. However, there are many other factors that can change this. HTH

i think i can get a good price on a router at the buy back store. they got a gang of tools in there. and the circular saw is in the garage. as far as factor that can effect the thickness of the plexi? other then the weight of the water what other variables are there? i know height of a tank and the length of a tank will definitely effect the outcome with a given thickness. :mellow:

yea, and that's exactly what I meant. The length and height. I think really the height is what plays more of a role when it comes to determining the proper thickness. Of course, excessive lenghts can really affect it also. I built a 80 gallon Sump/Fuge (48x24x18) for my friend out of 1/4" and it did not bow whatsover. I posted it on here, you can find the thread on here somewhere. HTH

Ram

mybuickskill6979

swweet im gonna mess witha couple glass tanks and the sump/fuge for my turtle then give acrylic a crack and see what happens(first with the cutting and stuff fom an acrylic place then try it myself!!

• 1 month later...

Hi, i'm wondering if you just used the acrylic solvent to glue all together or if it requires to use silicone to leak-proof the tank? Very clean, pro. work man. I made many projects with acrylic tho.. I also made a 3 stage Built in wet/dry filter in my 30L tank and it works great. You really inspired me to make my own custom tank LoL :D

Sammy113:

I did just use acrylic solvent. I have yet to have a tank leak on me. My seams are all bubble free now. I'm made about 4 display tanks and 30+ sumps/RO Tanks/etc. Im glad that I helped influence someone. Really makes me feel good. Good luck.

Instrance:

Sorry. Tore the tank down. Selling off everything. Moved out of my parents house and the tank suffered for it. I have a Oceanic 156 gallon i'll be setting up really soon. So keep a look out for that.

Ram

Hey NewbieReefer! i just started my DIY nano project. It is a 18 Gal tank. So far i've done the tank only... So next i'm going to work on the canopy wich i'm thinking to use maybe 2 power compacts 50/50, DIY moon lights and 2 fans. Thennn i'm going make the wet/dry filter and an overflow box.

DSC02384.jpg

DSC02385.jpg

DSC02387.jpg

DSC02389.jpg

Testing for Leaks... 100% Leak-proof with just solvent as you said!

Looks awesome. You used a propane torch i suppose to make the bends? Keep me updated when it is completed.

Yes, i used a propane torch for the bends and a straight edge of a table. I already set the tank with LS and about 20 Lbs of LR. For now i'm just using my Penguin 350 BioWheel filter until i get some money to buy more acrylic and a pump for the wet/dry. I'm using a Coralife mini aqualight with one 9w actinic blue and one 9w 10,000k daylight. Since i'm not placing any corals or anemones i don't need to much lighting power... it does the job and looks nice. I'll post some pics soon.

sweet! great job

Here is what I just finished building:

24"x24"x20" Built out of 1/2" Cell-Cast

p1010171mo6.jpg

p1010176lv2.jpg

Just need to micro-mesh polish it and it's ready to go.

Woaa that looks awsome! I like the surface skimmer. I think thats around 45 Gals. +/-? What do you use as a guide for routing the top and get those nice rounded corners? Keep me update with the process. What are you going to use for the lightning? Is that 1/2" acrylic axpensive? I'm thinking about doing another cube

49.87+overflow so i say 50 gallons.

I have a router table I built into the left wing on my tablesaw. Just use my fence and a stop block for the length of each tooth. Routed the entire 13" in less than 5 mins. I would say expect to pay about $250 for a full sheet of Acrylite GP 1/2". As far as routing the top, check out Acrylics "DIY Tank" thread on ReefCentral. He explains and has pictures. I'm actually selling the cube. If I change my mind and keep it, i'll light it with a 400w & 250w SE side by side in a lumenmax with 4 24" VHO's on each side of the tank. HTH

Ram

NewbieReefer

there is extruded/continuous cast, and Cell-Cast. The difference is the way that they are made. Dont really want to go into all the details but some key facts are extruded will absorb more water than Cell-Cast will, it is not as optically clear as Cell-Cast, and it does not machine as well. Extruded/Continuous Cast are good for sumps/wet-dry's/etc. I personally after I go past a certain size would use cell-cast for a sump. Domestic Cell-Cast is the way to go. ie. Spartech Polycast, Cyro Acrylite GP, Plexiglass G (MexPlex). HTH

Ram

• 6 months later...

This whole thing is inspiring, I have thought many times about DIY, that is if I had not left all my tools back in Maine when I moved to FL.

Keep it up, good luck with your future work.

NewbieReefer

I still build tanks. I have a brand new 50g Cube sitting in my living room. I'm going to be building a 300 hopefully here pretty soon. Thanks for all the comments guys.

Ram

NewbieReefer

I dont know how long they have been in business but I came up with mine before I ever found out about them. Besides, they're out of country.

Archived