Pod Your Reef

1st ReefOne Aquarium, 1st DIY Acrylic Tank

NewbieReefer

Thanks for the comments Zurc!! Really appreciate it.

Well I finally finished the staining. Have to say I'm really happy with the way it turned out. The stand/canopy is staind American Cherry and all the trim is stained Golden Pecan. Hopefully I'll have the clear coat done tomorrow night and the inside of the cabinet coated with marine grade paint.

finished1sh.jpg

Here is a pic of the OM Super Squirt plumbed. I cant believe that no one in corpus stocks sch.80 45's. So i'm going to have to improvise and paint it to match. You can also see my infamous in-sand plumbing that will be running on a closed loop.

tank1bm.jpg

I'll post as I progress.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally!!!!! I've completely finished my stand/canopy. I coated all the inside and 90 percent of the canopy with white latex. Hopefully I can lay down some poly clear coat tomorrow and it's done. The tank plumbing is 80 percent done...all that's left is installing the bulkheads and plumbing the tank to the sump. Here are a couple of pics. Also got my Reefkeeper in, now for some stability.

done6kf.jpg

skimmernielsonsump7bn.jpg

Man...if I keep going at the pace that I am this thing should have water in it by sunday! I've got mostly everything done. I worked on the plumbing from the sump up to the OM SS. Just need to drill the holes and install the bulkheads in the tank and plumb the tank to the sump. Install the gate valve in the skimmer and finish the lid. Lastly install the lighting in the hood and the 250DE Ushio for the fuge/frag area of the sump. Should be able to get mostly everything done tomorrow. Here are some pics.

complete23wx.jpg

complete11uo.jpg

complete33eq.jpg

complete3yg.jpg

complete48ep.jpg

Wish me luck!!

Ram

thanks everyone for the awesome comments!!!

Pili:

It's 3/4" Loc-Line. I'm going to have some serious flow. I might get held back though on setup time. I had to order the bulkheads and most likely wont get them in until wednesday. Hopefully my friend has some on hand but i wont know till tomorrow night. I'm building the water storage tank right now. It's 11.5"x9.5"x8.25", or 4 gallons. I'll post pics as soon as I finish it. Thanks again guys...check back for the updates!

Ram

Unbelievable work, man! I wish you/I lived closer, I'd be hanging over your shoulder watching you build it all! (And requesting a custom tank for myself!)

BTW: Any mods on the Jeep? ;) I got a 2k Sahara, and I had to ask. LOL!

-Jonathan

Thanks Jon! Too bad you dont live closer....i wouldnt mind. Besides..we could frag swap. I wish I had did some mods to my Sahara. Just have a system and my 32" MT's. I was gonna go with a RE 5.5 LA Kit with 37's but gas is TOO expensive. I get crappy MPG as it is.

Well I'm about 90% done. I'm getting the 3/4" Bulkheads from my friend tomorrow and installing the lighting tomorrow. Lighting will consist of one 250W SE XM 10k and my 400W SE Hami 20K along with two 24" VHO Super R's. The fuge/frag area of the sump will be lit with a 250W DE Ushio 10k. The water storage tank holds 7 gallons, more than enough for my water top-off needs. Waiting for the weld-on to dry on the skimmer stand. The skimmer wont be installed until probably monday. Im still waiting for the gate valve and the bulkhead for it. But no worries. Either way here are some current pics.

p10100202ho.jpg

p10100215kl.jpg

p10100234tw.jpg

Almost there!!!!

Hi...I'm totally blown away how you designed this entire aquarium and stand. I hope it flies without headaches. I added this to my DIY library under tank design if you don't mind. Great work. I wish I had skills to do that myself..or maybe, just the time to try to. SH

Thank you very much. I dont mind at all if you added me to your tank design...i'm honored. So far it's been working like a champ with no flaws. We'll see though.

Finally!!!!!!!!!!

It's all running except the skimmer because my little giant pump is making some nasty whining noise. Everything is transfered and I have to say that I dont have much room for stuff. I've also got a TON or bubbles in the main tank....it's to the point where I can see the top of the tank. I know that it has to be the hose from the return up to the main tank because the return section only has a small amount of bubbles. Any suggestions? Here are the pics.

p10100182qj.jpg

p10100201qn.jpg

p10100226lz.jpg

• 1 month later...

wow, awesome setup!

Is that small tank above a ATO? I missed a thread maybe.

Is that a kalk dripper as well?

Are those pictures two above with only your 20K on?

In my opinion the main tank is too full! looks awfully cluttered. Maybe a little less LR, and you could probably move all those frags to your fuge/frag compartment until they grow more?

Good work =)

Thanks all for the replies guys! I havent checked up on my thread so here are some pics. Not to recent, I'm fighting a algae bloom right now so I really dont want to show pics of that.

Here you go koden, shot with 10k,20k, and VHO's. That tank is a auto-top off. I'm actually going to upgrade probably in March so i'm going to just let the corals grow out as much as possible.

p10100341ww.jpg

p10100168xp.jpg

Thanks again for the comments fellas, really appreciated. I've been building sumps like crazy trying to get my name out there. Adios for now.

• 4 months later...

just out of curiousity, and I know this is bringing up a really old thread, but where are you from and are you going to be making custom tanks for people still?

Brandon

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
mybuickskill6979
Here it is. I'm just awaiting some bulkheads and the black acrylic for the back and need to roundover the top. Let me know what you think!

40gallon6uj.jpg

dude mad props on the tank. looks hellah good.

i'm thinking about building an acrylic sump to start off with i read about diy crylic and how to bend it and cut it and all that but i have one question.

most the work would be done with a dremel, so would a dremel router attachment do a good enough job or would i have to get a big fancy router? i'd like to fab a couple up and sell them on ebay. but till i get the first one or two under my belt i'll keep it to my self lol. and 1/4 inch acrylic will be good enough for a sump/regugium right? considering it will have baffles to reinforce and a nice top? i can get the materials cheap around here so let me know aight!! Thanx _Chris :huh:

i'm thinking about 20 gallon. it will be FW, for the time being lol!!

Hey Guys,

mybuickskill6979:

Honestly, It cant be done with a dremel. Sorry to tell you that. What I would recommend is to have a plastics shop cut and clean the edges for you so all you have to do is glue it up. Otherwise you would need at least a circular saw and a good router(ie. 1 3/4 HP at least with a flush trim bit) 1/4" is good for tanks up to 18" in height. However, there are many other factors that can change this. HTH

crayonbreaker:

I used Weld-On#4. I dont use it anymore, i use MC-Bond. Cost ALOT more but I get better seems with it cleans up really nice. I just researched, mainly reading online(ie. Reefcentral) and various other sources. I also asked Tank builders alot of questions and such. Plus it helped finding out a good friend of the family worked at a local fabrication shop so he gave me a ton of pointers. HTH

Ram

Crayonbreaker

well since you seem to know what you are talking about i have another question for you. what size tank do you think i could make with .220 plexi? i just dont want to but it and then have it not work thanks.

Archived