Innovative Marine Aquariums

1st ReefOne Aquarium, 1st DIY Acrylic Tank

NewbieReefer

thanks a bunch man!!!

What sucks is I had to evacuate my city b/c of Hurrican Rita. So I wont be home until sunday. Not only that...if it stays a cat 5 hurricane i'll most likely loose power in my house and loose all my livestock. I'll be so ####ed...i cant take another loss like my previous. Hopefully everything goes well and monday I get to get this thing finished. Ram

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes!! The 1st Reef One Freedom Single Beckett skimmer is 90 percent done. Just have to drill and top the top flange and install the 1.5" Outlet. Came out good overall, cant wait to test it out.

freedombeckett6bn.jpg

freedombeckett22gg.jpg

freedombeckett213yg.jpg

Here is the stand. Just need to make the door cutouts then make them, then add the molding and apply the oak stain and we're good. It will appear seemless when I'm done.

stand6xb.jpg

stand16bu.jpg

Thanks guys. The tank I put together in about 4 hours not including the time I had to let it dry. The Skimmer I knocked out in about 2 not including dry time. The stand I got done in about 6 hours. I'm still working on it as you can see. I finally bought a compressor and brad/staple gun. I also ordered my Biesemeyer guide and rails...50"R 24"L cutting capacity!!!! I'll be able to rip full sheets of acrylic without needing any help. Cant wait. I'll keep everyone posted as I progress. Thanks again guys.

Ram

NewbieReefer

I finally had a chance to work on some of the trimming on the stand. I knocked out quite a bit in two hours so I'm hoping tomorrow I can finish everything except the stain. Here are some pics.

p10100239xk.jpg

p10100243bo.jpg

Hopefully I'll post some pics of the finished product.

NewbieReefer

Thanks Newbie!!

Yesssssssss!!!! Finally after a couple more hours of work it's all done. All I need to do is stain it. Although I must say I'm a little scared of messing it up by the stain coming out all nasty. Wish me luck. Anyways...here you go..updated pictures as promised. *the 3rd has my g/f trying to pull a sneaky pete*

finished8pl.jpg

finished43bf.jpg

finished39xh.jpg

finished14cn.jpg

finished22rx.jpg

Let me know what you guys think! Thanks.

Ram

Corbet_Jackson50

lol

what i it you use to cut acrylic when i made my fuge i used a circular saw with a standard wood blade on it lol. i had tons of acrylic to work with so i gave it a whirl. i only had to re cut once due to a little break in a corner at the end of my cut

NewbieReefer

I tried using a circular saw once and it's just a pain in the ass. You have to have a straight guide to get a straight cut. Plus you get all the damn acrylic dust all over you...at least I did. I've even used a jigsaw before.

Again awesome job on the molding...and of course the tank.

(I am more impressed with the molding job because I can really appreciate the work you probably had to do just for that aspect!)

so are you going with a light "oak" stain?

or maybe a "red maple"...I think with the black background either colors would look kick ass.

I guess the girlfriend was lurking b/c you have spending more time on the tank :)

at least that is what i have been accused of lately.

Keep it up.

It actually looks like one of the tanks I saw online that a Redskins player has....I will have to find that link again. Some custom tank shop down in DC.

NewbieReefer

Thank you very much.

lol...thats funny cause she always complains about me spending time on the tank and not with her. Women! We've been together for 2 yrs now so she accepts it...just likes to pull my chain and give me a hard time.

I'm actually going with a golden pecan for the all the trim and a american cherry stain for the rest of the stand and canopy.

That's pretty sweet that it reminds you of a Pro players tank. Hopefully someday my stuff will be in a famous persons house.

Stained yet?

yes we nanoers are very impatient.

Hey do you have any of the black acrylic left?

or where did you buy it.

I need (well would like to) build a corner wall out of black to hide my drain pipe.

NewbieReefer
Stained yet?

yes we nanoers are very impatient.

Hey do you have any of the black acrylic left?

or where did you buy it.

I need (well would like to) build a corner wall out of black to hide my drain pipe.

Haven't staind it yet...hopefully i can get it done today. As for black acrylic I have some left but it's thin strips. You can order some from Mcmaster.com though. Pretty cheap.

got the first part of staining done. Give me some suggestions...leave it like this two tone, or all the one main color? I'll post as soon as I finish.

staind2mj.jpg

Archived