Pod Your Reef

Pico video with mantis shrimp

ninjafish

matthewquenneville

Cool video.

I was recently in Hong Kong and I noticed a tank on the street full of which appeared to be mantis shrimp. They called them peeing shimp. They were quite large and few a few dollars they cooked me up a plate full. They were delicious. Food chain.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You got it mang! The thinnest glass that I could get in starfire was 5/16" and I'm glad I did, now that there is a mantis in the tank. I am glad that you liked the video.

Cheers,

- Chad

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by matthewquenneville

Cool video.

I was recently in Hong Kong and I noticed a tank on the street full of which appeared to be mantis shrimp. They called them peeing shimp. They were quite large and few a few dollars they cooked me up a plate full. They were delicious. Food chain.

You're right they were mantis, I forget the type but they are usually a larger variety not kept by aquarists. They are called peeing shrimp because they quite literally pi$$ themselves when they're cooked alive. :*(

Was it served with a 'sauce'? :x :D

Great video! Though I must say the mantis shrimp is a singularly disgusting creature and I will never own one...I knew nothing about them before I saw your video. What a great first impression!

Thanks guys! I think that a mantis is a great choice for a species tank. They are colorful and intersting to look at - Have tons of personality - And also happen to hold gold medals in "fast animal movements" and "most complex eye" categories. I can't think of another animal that I could have put in this tank that would have made such a conversation piece! An added bonus is that most people have never even heard of a stomatopod before, so it is kind of exciting for them to "discover" one in person.

- Chad

Wow simply amazing i dont know what else to say other then envy

1) thats is an amazing tank / video

2) yuo get to live in Calgary (I'm moving there in a couple years fingers crossed)

amazing

Originally posted by SCUBA BUZZ

Wow simply amazing i dont know what else to say other then envy

1) thats is an amazing tank / video  

2) yuo get to live in Calgary (I'm moving there in a couple years fingers crossed)

amazing

Scuba,

Thanks bro I'm glad you liked it! I was surprised to see that you were envious of living in Calgary. Your current city must really suck... where is it? Somewhere in Michigan probably?

Jokes :P . I read that in one of your other posts. Ya Calgary is a great city. Make sure you look me up if/when you move here!

Cheers,

- Chad

Originally posted by levon15

what kind of camera do you use and what editing software did you use?

great video

Levon,

My equipment isn't really stellar. My camera is a digital-eight hitachi that is a couple years old. For editing I use Studio 8 by Pinnacle - it is a great program (I think studio 9 or 10 is their latest one).

- Chad

I had mine put together by a shop in town called Bow Valley Aquariums. They ship to the 'States under the name Inter American I believe. Really though the tank is so simple that any shop will be able to throw one together. Infact, I probably could have built it myself (I have cut bulkheads and overflows before using a dremmle - this time I just felt lazy).

- Chad

Cool! I was thinking of doing an 8x8x8 with a 70w MH retro. I wanted to lightly sand the back glass and paint it black so I could have 2 bulkheads back there. I'd rather use a canister filter so it's more "condense" and I don't need to worry about having a sump etc. But do you feel the canister really keeps your water nice and clear or would you consider adding a skimmer into your setup?

Any advice you could give would be fantastic! I've always admired your tank

Sean,

I have always kept skimmers and think they are awsome! I am not convinced however, how much good a skimmer would do on a 2gal tank...

The real reason that I don't have one is having a skimmer would have meant having a sump, which would have meant having an overflow, which would have meant not having 360 degree visibility. If you want your water crystal clear you can always add a little bag of carbon to the cannister filter.

Having said that, if you are planning on painting your back wall anyways, you can easily do an overflow to a sump. You could make your cube 10x8x8 and then put a black acrylic divider in the tank to act as a back wall overflow. This would also give you the option of using a much larger sump (like 10gal?) for added stability. Also, because it isn't a pressurized system like a cannister filter, you could go ahead and throw a skimmer in the sump and also be able to use a less-expensive auto topoff solution than what I have. I hope this description is clear, let me know if I'm not making sense. Good luck with your project and thanks for the compliment!

Sincerely

- Chad

Actually instead of sand I am using a thin layer of crushed coral. Sand would probably look a little nicer but, as you said, a lot of it would have ended up in the filter. I have a bulkhead screen threaded into the bulkhead and it keeps the substrate and critters from going down the hose. So far the only thing I have keeping things from going down the return bulkhead is the water flow. Something tells me that in a power outage Ike might take the chance to wriggle down the hose... I'd better put a screen over that too.

I went in to work today and fed the mantis, did a water change, topped up my fresh water resivoir, and cleaned the glass. The last time I was in at work was five days ago - I'm please to say that it was running along just fine without me.

Cheers,

- Chad

Hey Fish, Great tank and vid man! Love the corals and especially the mantis. It by far is the coolest creature out there. Hey just a quick question? Any fears in cleaning or maintaining your tank (ie. trimming corals, wiping glass, etc) with the shrimp on the prowl. I notice you have some GSP's right next to his hole. Do you wear kevlar gloves when you put your hands in the water? :) Does he mostly hide when you do? That seems to me to be the best deterrent to reef keepers in keeping their hands out of their tank!! LOL!

Miller,

Good call. I use an algae magnet to clean the glass and a pair of chopsticks to move things around. So far he has been great and doesn't bother the corals at all - I think he likes his fancy home. I have a little cue card beside the tank so that people in the office know what they're looking at (and don't stick their fingers in the tank!) - I just found out though that there was a lady that was putting one of the chopsticks in the tank to show another co-worker how Ike would strike at it - needless to say I will talk to her about it! (or feed her to the mantis : ).

- Chad

They are just busting out now and are still only getting air time on local radio stations. I only looked them up after I ran into an old classmate of mine at a high school reunion and he told me that he wrote the lyrics and shares the royalties for that particular song.

- Chad

Archived