SaltCritters.com

Pico video with mantis shrimp

ninjafish

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey man that's cool.wht do you feed him? besides poor hermit crabs?=D

i'm plannng to get a smasher or something soon, hopefully. but im not sure wht to feed and where to get it? can i feed things from the supermarkets like shrimp, clams, mussels...etc? and if i feed shrimp is it purely raw or cooked? and will a smasher take fish?

Matt,

I am new to this whole thing as well. I have snails and hermits in the tank just so Ike has something to smash. I have heard that they can lose their dactyls if they don't use them enough. Besides that, he loves krill. Others feed shrimp and clam meat from the grocery store as well. Good luck, they are great pets!

- Chad

That is a great idea! He seems to prefer the krill to live food - next time I tuck some inside a snail shell and make him work for it (and it's cheaper than $2.50 a pop). Good work!

- Chad

thanks fish..while thinkin about it, ur shrimp in the vid reminds me of muhammed ali or mike tyson or something. LoL. been into boxing lately. when i get mine imma name it after one of those guys ;)

It's funny you mention it. I named him Ike because, I wanted to name our kid that when he is born but my wife wouldn't allow it because the name reminds her of Ike Turner who used to beat Tina Turner. ??

And guess what boy's name we have managed to come to agreement on?

... Tyson!

Go figure (if she hasn't heard of Mike Tyson, I'm not gonna tell her). :P

- Chad

That was a great movie - I particularly liked how the suspense grew at the beginning, though my favorite was the shot of him picking blue hermit crab legs out of his "teeth".

I laughed, I cried - it became a part of me.

Davinaster,

Lol, well then I've done my job!

The hermit leg thing kills me too. From watching the video, I don't think Ike spits it out because it's inedible, or because he's full...

I think it's just a gesture of contempt ???

- Chad

I know Rob - I've never felt so sorry for a hermit crab before. I had to keep telling myself, "it's baisically a spider of the sea..." :P I am so glad that these guys are measured in inches and not feet or meters! :o

- Chad

Originally posted by robmacy

can you imagine if mantis shrimp grew to be 3-4 feet long!  they'd be an apex predator!

Yup. The spearers would pull down sharks and dolphins and the smashers would prey on... um, submarines? :*(

- Chad

Originally posted by AndyL

Hmmm... Not enough blood or gore ;) I think You need to feed and video tape more this week!!!

Andy

Hey Andy,

Actually this little treasure you found me goes through hermits like they're popcorn... popcorn that costs me $2.50 a pop.

I think I might just try the "krill stuffed in an empty snail shell" trick for a while - while I save up again :P .

Thanks,

- Chad

Well at least you're not buying them from wai's or riverfront - You'd already be broke :)

Probably a good time to kiss a$$ a bit and see if dennis and the other local shop keeps will save you hitchikers from other shipments (there must have been 12+ crabs in that one box of LR alone)

Andy

Andy,

That is a great idea! A fellow reefer in Loydminster is mailing me out some hitchhikers but I still need to pay for the shipping. I don't know if I have given enough business to any of the shop keepers in town for them to agree to a deal like that...

- Chad

Are you afriad that the Mantis will break the tank?!! Yikes, one more thing what sort of mantis is that, is that a peacock? Not to rain on your party but they become much bigger, and will need a bigger tank. If it isn't then i am sorry, great tank. :). Kind of reminds me of Jurrasic Park I with the cow getting killed by the T-rex, kind of overkill lol

Nope, it is a smasher most likely a g. smithii. A peacock isn't an option - not just because of the size thing but because spearers like to burrow into the sand and as you can see, I don't have much of a sandbed. This guy is a pretty little one and my tank is 2 or 3 times thicker than it needed to be. Should be ok...

Cheers,

- Chad

hey fish, one more question, what is that coral that keeps on opening and closing, looks really pretty... i would love to have one in my tank.

Archived