inTank Media Baskets

Clam Addition

jbaflyer

Croceas, no--they need MH. BUt Derasas, Squamosas, and Maximas, yes. Oh, and Gigas are fine with PC's, too.

ELGORDOINAVW
Originally posted by Caesar777

Croceas, no--they need MH. BUt Derasas, Squamosas, and Maximas, yes. Oh, and Gigas are fine with PC's, too.

Other way around, Croceas can be kept under PC if placed high up and fed well. They do not require alot of light when they are small. As they grow their lighting needs increase as they feed less. All other clams WILL DIE. Your not going to listen to me so charge the most expensive one you really can't afford. Oh yeah this info comes from Barry owner of Clamsdirect.com as he explained it to me.

I say croceas and maximas thrive only under MH only. Derasas, Squamosas and gigas are fine under VHO,PC,T5's if the tank isnt over 24" tall since those are sand dwellers. Ive already tried a crocea and gold maxima under 260watts of PC 6-7 inches from the light. Took about 3 months for them to lose most of there mantle color. I know some ppl are successful with HO T5's with croceas and maximas so I guess it CAN be done. Dont know the success rate though.

This is cool info. I'm all about the search engine, but honestly I see nothing but conflicting threads on this topic. Are you sure about Maxima's Caesar? Just want to know because I love the look of them and would like one in my tank (10 gallon with powerquad) at some time.

It's my understanding that clams are filter feeders when small, and turn to rely mainly on photosynthesis once they increase in size. Maybe these clams are OK when small because they don't need so much light, and then they don't thrive in the long run. I remember reading somewhere that clams like the water a little on the dirty side and do well to help to bring down the nitrates in the tank.

ShoNuff

Maximas are second from the top (Croceas are #1) as far as light intensity requirements. (Also ease of care, for that matter.) They CAN be kept under PC's, but they need to be close enough for the rays to penetrate--and there's variance on the actual number. It varies from 10-24", and I'd say about 14-18" or so. And yes, I hear they like a bit of nitrate (corals do too, but not as much as clams do).

Clams are more difficult to keep when they're small, actually, because they rely on feedings of phytoplankton. These frequent feedings make it difficult to keep the water quality constant and preferable. Larger clams have a large enough mantle with enough zooxanthellae to get enough energy from light alone.

Also, remember the strict calcium and alk requirements for clams--in small tanks, it can be done but will take daily care to ensure that levels are tested and buffered as needed. These guys eat calcium like nobody's business.

I'd recommend any new people start with a Derasa--easier to keep, they can definitely be kept under PC's, VHO's, or T5's, or acclimated to MH if you prefer.

I have a crocea and a maxima under PC for about 8 months now and there both doing fine, loosing no color and there shell has grown, but im sure there going to be much happier in the new tank with 250w of metal halide beeming down on them.

These guys eat calcium like nobody's business.

if you want to keep a clam sucessufully, you need to pay attention to that line and understand what it means and what you need to do to keep your cal/alk stable and high enough for the clam. lighting alone will not cut it. derasa is probably one of the easiest for beginner. here is the one i have (the picture is old. it's much bigger now):

11967DSCN1918.JPG

it's in a 10g under 96w of pc. i have it for 6 months now.

bonecrusher71

I have that same clam for just over a year i bought it when it was small and it grew moved clam to a 15g cause 20L cracked.

Ill post pictures soon.

ps oh yeah i use pc68w total.

Archived