Cultivated Reef

Clam for 10g with 110W PC lighting?

Sean_Buckley

Sean_Buckley

Can someone suggest whether or not I should get a clam for my 10 g when its established? I will have a 110W PC lighting fixture, and will keep up on my Ca and Alk levels, probably with a buffer (from Seachem, if they make it, I'm sure they do). I know I probably sound like a noob to clams, which I am, but I am just asking to see what species is best suited for it (if any), so I can specialize my research to that certain species. Thanks!

Sean

The only clams that should be kept under PC's are Derasa, Squamosa, and Hippo. All three can outgrow a 10 gallon in 2 years or less, so the question goes back to you. What clam do you want to have for just a little while?

I agree with calvin, if you want clams get MH lighting.. the smallest clama i s the Crocea clam, they can grow up to 6 inches according to liveaquaria.com, good luck and i hope this helps.

Originally posted by calvin415

The only clams that should be kept under PC's are Derasa, Squamosa, and Hippo.

I would also add gigas to this list. But it will need a new home in a couple of years.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Sean,

I recommend the crocea clam. Try to get one that is medium to small size, not too small but just about medium. Find one that is doing really good at your LFS.

As you make the transition from your LFS to your home, make sure you let your lights on at least two more hours than normal. This will help him with the change in intensity of lighst MH to PC.

You will notice a slight color change in the beginning and will also noticed he's not as open. Give him time, with 3 months you will see him completely accustommed to your new lighting.

I give you this advice from personal experience. I owned two crocea clams in two different 12 gallon cubes with 113 watts of PC lighting for about 1 year.

They are in the process of going into my new 72 bowfront reef tank in about two more weeks.

I received a lot of attacks from fellow reefers that I would fail and they were all proven wrong.

There is more than just lights in this equation, there is water changes and temp swings to watch on these nanos, take from an experienced nano cube owner.

Mike Guerrero

EPICTANKHERE

hey mike, I would liek to try this eventually, i have 96watts in an eclipse 12. Was wondering if you put the clam in the sandbed or had it on a rock close to the light? Is it even possible to put the on a rock or do they have to be in sand? Got any pics of your old set up? just wondering really.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

I tried on the sand bed and on the rock... I prefer the rock and I'll tell you why. On the rock they will feel more secure and will not tip over. In the sand you just drop them in and you think they are fine, then you come back in 1 hour and they are on the side.

You have to fix them all the time; plus they move the sand a lot making a nano dirty.

If you place them on a rock close to the surface they receive a nice amount of PC intensity. I think cosistency plays a vital role on there part.

Here is a quick link to the smaller clam I had in my larnie edtion LPS tank.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=63444

Mike

EPICTANKHERE

Thanks mike, have had the tank for a year now and it's very stable. Once i find the right clam i will give it a try and probably get flamed in the process. The revolution has begun!

Sean_Buckley

The main factor now for whether or not I get a crocea is this: price. I've only found one so far, and its $60...yes, you read that right $60 for a 1-1.5" blue or green "super-colored" crocea clam. Reefing in Canada is proving to be quite the expensive hobby...

Sean

Originally posted by Sean_Buckley

The main factor now for whether or not I get a crocea is this: price. I've only found one so far, and its $60...yes, you read that right $60 for a 1-1.5" blue or green "super-colored" crocea clam. Reefing in Canada is proving to be quite the expensive hobby...

Sean

Sounds like a good price to me. I paid $100 for my Zebra Blue Maxima. A good clam is not cheap.

Bob

Croceas are not only the most light-demanding, they're also the most difficult clam to keep. Start with a derasa.

Kept. Let's keep the personal jabs to a minimum. Thanks.

For what its worth...I QT all of my new clams in a 10 gallon tank using a Quad 4 96 watt PC for lighting and I get by just fine for 3-4 weeks. And I have kept a Maxima in a 10 gallon Nano for about a year with very little loss in color or negative health effects that I noticed. It did however color up a bit more when I placed it in my 65 gallon clams tank which has 250 watt halides over it.

The H. Hippopus is still in there and it still growing well!

In the set up that you mention, Clams will do fine, even Corceas and Maximas. However these two clams will do even better under 150 or 175 watt halides. I dont think is so much a question of "How many watts" as it is a question of lighting intensity, and halides will always be superior in that respect.

JMHE...

Sean_Buckley

Alright, well, if $60 is a GOOD price, I think I'll stay away from clams. Too expensive for me, especcially if they're going to out-grow my tank or maybe die. Plus, I don't like them ALL that much anyway, I can always use the space for something else.

Sean

• 2 weeks later...

Possibly, what kinds are you looking for?

And you'd have to explain how to ship them to me, it would be the first time i've ever shipped something live.

Originally posted by Steve973

Have you ever kept a clam, caesar777?  Or have you just been reading about them?

mine:

My_Reef_Tank_088.jpg

Actually your Clam does not look very healthy.

JMO

Bob

Archived