ReefCleaners.org

10 gallon kitchen nano

Brooklyn Johnny

Just needed to chime in on the Jersey discussion. Well the only part of jersey that smells is directly west of Manhattan. As we all know from school and watching the weather channel, the jetstream blows eastwardly across our stink and directly into Manhattan and then onto Brooklyn, Queens, etc. So basically, you guys in the city are downwind from the stench in our unpopulated areas just over the river along the piers. Makes you think huh, the only people smell'n Jersey are in the New York.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

again, great looking tank man :)

well i haven't been to nano-reef in a while so i hope i dont get flamed for this (j/k), but i was curious to find out what kind of salt you use. also, do you take tank measurements yourself? (i was reading you had a ph monitor? but i could be wrong) or take tank water to the LFS? and finally, how do u drip ur kawk? manually or with a system like kent's aquadose?

man, i'm impressed with your tank and just haven't had the time to tend to my 20 gal w/2x55w pc's from ah supply/bulbs hello lights tank. ur picks just sparked the fire i had for reefing before school started haha.

thanks, any info would be greatly appreciated X)

Brooklyn Johnny

Thanks reefitis, I'll reply fully on Thursday, as we're on vacation right now and I'm using my 15 free minutes here at Dunkin Donuts in Waikiki... I'll say real fast that I use IO ;) Mahalo...

ohhh, aloha braddah, hope you're enjoying da kind reefs out there in the islands...mahalo to you to :P

Brooklyn Johnny

Okay I'm back from the islands unfortunately... reefitis I do my own measurements and yes I do have a pH monitor, which I think is necessary to successfully drip kalk on such a small tank. It gives peace of mind too and allows you to avoid one test at least.

As to the dripping of kalk, I use something like Kent's aquadose, although it's not really a system, just a bottle with a drip nozzle. I don't know what you mean by manually... all night sitting by the tank??:D Just kidding... hope that helps... if you have any more questions fire away... thanks again...

Johnny

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

johnny ive got to ask how your clams are doing in your tank, how long have you had them and have they all survived? and more importantly how long was the tank set up before adding the clams. im interested because i have a small maxima and a larger derasa and everyone keeps telling me that they will die undr my 96w CSL PC. also do you do anything special for the clams...thanks pyrhus

johnny ive got to ask how your clams are doing in your tank, how long have you had them and have they all survived? and more importantly how long was the tank set up before adding the clams. im interested because i have a small maxima and a larger derasa and everyone keeps telling me that they will die undr my 96w CSL PC. also do you do anything special for the clams...thanks pyrrhus

Brooklyn Johnny, where are you???

Originally posted by Brooklyn Johnny

Also, whoever says you cannot grow sps and clams under PCs, or in a nano for that matter, is flat out wrong. I agree that it isn't easy or for beginners, but yes they can thrive and have awesome colors! STOP THE DISINFORMATION! In this pic alone you see Monti digitata (purple tip), green and pink pocillopora, green hydnophora, and my green staghorn with blue tips. DO THESE LOOK BROWNED OUT? There are a thousand factors that contribute to a healthy reef, and everybody always blames their problems on lighting!

Hey P, Nobody says your clams will die, 2 weeks ago, you did have them under 4 9 w PC's and a 13 W pc.... Look back to Gilmans tank of the month, 1x32Wpc, and he has had a Squamosa in there for some time.... Like Johnny said, It is more than lights, and for the record, I don't think anyone said your animals will die ;)

it wasnt anyone here at nano reef who told me my clams would die, however just about everyone over at reefcentral seem pretty stuck on MH and clams/SPS and keeps telling me the maxima will be dead by the six month mark. im eagerly awaiting the day i can prove to them that it can be done in a nano under PC but i have a few months to wait

Originally posted by pyrrhus

it wasnt anyone here at nano reef who told me my clams would die, however just about everyone over at reefcentral seem pretty stuck on MH and clams/SPS and keeps telling me the maxima will be dead by the six month mark. im eagerly awaiting the day i can prove to them that it can be done in a nano under PC but i have a few months to wait

It is possible. Those RC'ers can be snobs sometimes... They can get upset that they spend so much money and time, to have a mess of a tank, when we can have beautiful tanks for a fraction of the cost :D

I still want brooklyn Johnny to pop in too!

• 2 weeks later...
Brooklyn Johnny

Hey fellas... sorry about the delay... I was in Hawaii on Oahu for business which my wife and I followed up with a trip to the Big Island in Kona... sucks to be back but anyway...

Pyrrhus I totally understand the way people reacted to your questions on PCs and clams. That is very common on boards, and I can guarantee you that all of the people giving that information have absolutely no experience with clams under PCs, however they have READ that it cannot be done and therefore they believe that to be true.

With that said I still don't recommend what I did in the nano to just anyone. Even within the PC lighting realm there are many factors that contribute to the intensity of light a tank receives (bulb type, ballast type, reflector, proximity to the water, spacing of bulbs). Add into that the way everyone runs their own tank (no two people do exactly the same) and it's tough to venture into the huge gray area between success and failure, or give advice on doing that for that matter. It is much easier to recommend people stray away from the gray, into the ara where success is more easily achieved with more margin for error. In this case that would be with halides.

The one prerequisite I would recommend for people trying to keep clams under PCs would be previos experience with these animals under higher output lighting, for exactly the reasons I've mentioned above. Some quick bits of helpful advice would be to try squamosas first, and secondly look at new growth as an indicator of health in a clam. If a clam is not depositing new growth it is teetering on the line between sustinence and death IMO.

Incidentally I have upgraded my aquariums to a 65 gallon with 20 gallon frag tank, and a 54 corner. I will profile these here and put a link in the next few days. Many of the things I had in my 10 can be seen here in my 54, including my oldest purple max, which was in my 10 gallon for almost a full year and a half...

Hope that helps...

Johnny

Domino_Tang

wow very nice tank

small hahaha but still nice

you should try a 15 gallon high or bowl

makes for a great tank an can have easy stands and oods made by local petstores or even yourself if not lazy. nor do you have to be skilled in making one sence i have made 4.

the tank i have now i am making a top for i have already made the top ^____^ but nice corals and ect.

i intend to fill my tank up with corals like crazy but i am taken my time like every reefer should on adding things into a new tank

^________^ Bye bye =]

I love the bowfront tanks. I have one myself ;)

FWIW , I never told the dude(and I dunno if anyone else did either) that he couldn't do it... I think that he was under false impressions and we were givin' him tuff love. "Just like Kittah, a little tuff luv" , just trying to slow him down and hopefully he will be succesful in the long run. He had trouble with consistency in info given when askin questions or dishing out advice. I just wanted him to know that good info is out there, you just need to look for it. Now send me some of those zoo frags there on the sand ya zoo hog.

Johnny,

Good to see ya posting some pics again!!! It was your 10 gallon nano that got me started!!! Keep us updated...

BEAUTY 54.....

Archived