Pod Your Reef

10 gallon kitchen nano

Brooklyn Johnny

Brooklyn Johnny

This is my 10 gallon kitchen nano that I setup over the summer about 6 months ago. I could not wait until we buy our house next year to set up my 180 again, so I got into nanoreefing and have had a ball with this tank. These pics are about a month and a half old, and I've added quite a bit since, including two more clams (total of 4). I'll post more recent pics when I take more.

Set up is as follows... lighting is a 2x36 watt ahsupply retrofit, with bulbs from hellolights.com (one 10,000k and one actinic). Above the tank is a 7 gallon refugium (critter keeper) with two 15 watt NO "Lights of America" kits from Home Depot that cost about $7 a pop. I run those 24/7. In the tank I have two Microjet 606s at each corner (upgraded from original 404s) and I have an Aquaclear 150 on the back, drilled to fit another Microjet (404) that pumps up to the fuge. The fuge then gravity feeds back to the tank. I have another powerhead in the fuge for circulation, which helps grow the macro. I have an ebo-jager (I think 150 watt) in the fuge. I drip a dilute kalk mixture (usually 3/4 tsp per gallon) every night, and vary that depending on alkalinity readings. Calcium stays between 400 and 450.

I do one gallon water changes a week, and dose DT's every other day. I have three fish... a true perc, sixline wrasse, and yellow watchman goby. Inverts are too many to list, but include softies, LPS, SPS, and now four clams (two maximas and two squamosas). I have one fire shrimp and one standard skunk cleaner. Many snails, hermits, ministars, and pods.

I'm sure I have more to add, but am forgetting. Questions and comments welcome. Looking forward to shooting the **** with you guys. And by the way I give you guys respect... this nano is tougher than my 180 was, every time I go to change something in the tank I end up knocking 3 things over! But I have to say nanos are neat.

I also want to thank WAMAS (Washington Area Marine Aquaria Society) which is my local club. I'm a Brooklyn native... grew up outside the city in Jersey, and now live in Northern VA. I'll post a bunch of pics for you all...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brooklyn Johnny

A shot of the entire kitchen... we are renting through next year, and I didn't want to get involved with furniture and all... so... after the wife's approval I put it in the kitchen... then stole some cabinet space for the fuge... I would have drilled the cabinets to get a cleaner look, but I didn't want to part with our security deposit ;)

Brooklyn Johnny

Here is my fire shrimp, with coralline and halimeda growth in the back. Halimeda (or the money plant) is a calcareous green algae for those of you who don't know and is a good way to get green in your display without worrying about it taking over like caulerpa...

Brooklyn Johnny

My pink fungia plate... these are great to take up space on the sand... and if you can find a nice pink one, supposedly from shallower water, scoop it up...

wow very nice. i was just throwing around ideas and was thinking of a clam and hard coral tank. Your is really cool, i also like that you use PC's instead of MH's. do u have any more recent pics (you said they were old and you added more...) ???

Brooklyn Johnny

Greg yes the fuge is drilled... here is a more closeup pic with the fuge, fan, and kalk container...

As for the overheating... whenever we cook we put up a cookie pan between the tank and the stove, and there has never been a heating problem... but the garlic splash I allow into the tank from our Italian kitchen!!

AWESOME that is a fine fine tank and proof positive you don't have to have 10 watts per gallon to keep a reef. My wife would kill me however if she came home and found a fish tank on the counter.

Archived