inTank Media Baskets

10 gallon kitchen nano

Brooklyn Johnny

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sweet tank! And not-too-bad a wife either. She let you put a nano on the kitchen counter and a fuge in the cabinet- I say keep her.

I'm a Brooklyn-to-Jersey guy too. Where ya from?

shame on you satch. You can take the boy out of Brooklyn but you can't take Brooklyn outta da boy. Unless you move to Joisey. If you do, all bets are off.

My view of Jersey is based on the following:

1. On the way to DC for our annual drive to New Orleans to start the new school year, me and 3 frat brothers are driving thru Jersey, mocking the Armpit state. One of the passengers made the comment. "In jersey a fart's refreshing." Much to the dismay of the two Jersey natives in the car.

1. About 20 minutes later, still driving thru Jersey, one guy lets out a loud, wet awful sounding fart. He then yells "roll 'em up." We promptly rolled up the windows and enjoyed the much fairer air of ass.

Jersey smells. Nuff said.

Originally posted by Crakeur

shame on you satch.  You can take the boy out of Brooklyn but you can't take Brooklyn outta da boy.  Unless you move to Joisey.  If you do, all bets are off.

Hey, it was a parental decision, I had nothing to do with it. Far be it from me to defend this state, but it gets a bad rap for a mere 5 mile stretch of stank along the turnpike. I can point you to more than a few spots right in the boroughs that can put us away in that department. And you better be nice Crak, else we just may decide to stop taking that 100,000 tons of garbage off your hands everyday. Then watcha gonna do city boy?

Originally posted by Satchmo

And you better be nice Crak, else we just may decide to stop taking that 100,000 tons of garbage off your hands everyday.  Then watcha gonna do city boy?

Are you kidding me? First off, PA would love our garbage. Second, Jersey can't stop the garbage haul. That business isn't even controlled by the state. Let's face it, you aren't going to see the state decide to put several hundred Sopranos out of business.

It's only a five mile stretch satch but it sure does stink up the whole state.

Does Jersey still close at midnight?

This tank is truly beutiful. It really has only been set-up for 6 months? if you move everythinbg to the big tank you could buy a chiller and hold live lobsters.

I have no idea who controls the garbage flow, I'm just fuggin with you. I contribute to NY's trash myself, remember. So long as it's not piling up in front of the building I could care less. And no, Jersey closes at 12:30 now ;)

Yet another thread successfully hijacked.

Brooklyn Johnny

Jesus I started a war! Anyway I was born In Bay Ridge Brooklyn and grew up in Passaic County on Upper Greenwood Lake in West Milford. It is one of the nice parts of Jersey, and yes we get a bad rap for that center part that everybody either drives or flies through. Thanks all for the comments... and by the way if you think Jersey closes early you should come to Northern VA! And it is true that Jersey would struggle without the "waste managament business". ;)

Originally posted by Satchmo

Sweet tank!  And not-too-bad a wife either.  She let you put a nano on the kitchen counter and a fuge in the cabinet- I say keep her.

I'm a Brooklyn-to-Jersey guy too.  Where ya from?

thanks for the thought satch... i went and asked my gf if/when we live together if she'd let me have a reef tank on the kitchen counter. must be a keeper!! :D

Brooklyn Johnny

Chris, flaunt thanks very much. My wife kicks ass... she's too good to me, and she's gorgeous... and I'm slowly softening her up to the thought of dumping about 10 Gs into my 180 that I have as soon as we move next year. I'll just go over on the mortgage and use that :D

are those pvp fitting drilled on there? What is the diameter of return pipe?

How did you do the drilling?

looks great, I should the picture the the little lady & I got an approval. heh

Brooklyn Johnny

All of the parts are regular pvc parts... the intake is 1/2" inside diameter going up to the fuge, which fit the Mini-jet powerhead, and the return is 3/4" ID... The drill bit I used was one of those wood boring bits with the appropriate diameter to fit the pvc... I then sealed it with silicone. What is really important is that you use a very high speed on the drill when going through the plastic, or it tends to crack. Aside from that it was pretty easy. If you have more specific questions let me know and I'd be happy to help. I would love to see more kitchen nanos though...

awsome tank where exactly in va are you im in king george and i go to school in fredericksburg, if your close to there what are some good stores? theres a few around me i know of but not alot,Chris

I'm gonna set up a fuge similar to your, i think i can get the fuge drilled but i'm not sure what type of pvc 'thingy' i should use at the pvc/acryliucs union. All i could find at the home depot was regular pvs stuff, nothing for adapting it to a drilled hole. any suggestions?

Brooklyn Johnny

These are the four parts from Home Depot I used (the two 1/2" for the intake and two 3/4" for the return. I then used three other parts for the ball valve (the ball valve itself and the two union pieces). I used four small rubber washers on each side of the intake and return and finally sealed it all off with silicone. Go to Homedepot.com and pump these four pieces into a search and you'll get pics of the individual pieces. Let me know if you have more questions.

John

Pro Mark

3/4" Barbed x 3/4" FPT 90° Plastic Combination Elbow

Model: #37048W

SKU: #190993

Pro Mark

1/2" Barbed x 1/2" FPT 90° Plastic Combination Elbow

Model: #37061W

SKU: #190977

Nibco

1/2" PVC Cap FIPT

Model: #C448005

SKU: #294233

Nibco

3/4" PVC Cap FIPT

Model: #C448007

SKU: #536725

I tried to find some of those parts on homedepot.com, but I think my local store doesn't carry some of them (you have to put in your zip code before you search)..

The research continues :)

brooklyn-

If your not sure which, use a "Tiger" pistol shrimp (alpheus randalli). Others work too but this one likes to actually come out of its hole unlike a few others.

BTW thats a great lookin tank:happy: and good luck with convincing your wife for the 180! Get her something nice then drop the bomb on her! hahaha:D

Brooklyn Johnny

Thanks again all...

Xavier... I realized that when I did that search the homedepot.com had a cookie with the zip code 21704 from Frederick MD from when I was looking for Southdown over the summer. Use that zip and that store and you should find those parts. Let me know if I can help you more then too...

Deskjockey... luckily I already had the 180 before we got married so setting it up is a must... or else of course that would be a waste of an expensive tank. If I added up my wife's makeup and shoe costs over the last year that would probably equal the cost of my 3x400 watt halide setup I'm going for... maybe with the VHOs too : I plan on dropping the bomb on her in stages... and I'm buying stock in Revlon before she finds out the total price.

Korbin... yes they are 2x36 and my sps have done well and grown... admittedly without the color and fast growth they'd have under stronger lighting, but nice nonetheless. Water quality is important I think, and a good supply of food from the fuge as I see good polyp extension from them. They seem happy. Although they are under the 2x36 light, what helps is the fact that they are only about thre inches away from the source. Honestly though if I were to do it over again I would go halide, but that wasn't feasible with the limited height I had in the kitchen.

Anyway I hope you all have chicks that support your addiction. If they ever give you crap say you're a nanoreefer and threaten to get a bigger tank :D

Originally posted by Brooklyn Johnny

Xavier... I realized that when I did that search the homedepot.com had a cookie with the zip code 21704 from Frederick MD from when I was looking for Southdown over the summer. Use that zip and that store and you should find those parts. Let me know if I can help you more then too...

No kidding.. my gf is from MD, I was born in DE and lived in MD (Cecil County)... she went to college in Westminster.. and her best friend is from Frederick... small world

Archived