Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My 2.5 AGA, will update often!

bluebastion

CRAVIN CRITTERS

Alright ihave a negative and a positive cmment for ya first off Ilove the tank. second I think your frikken crazy for paying as much as you did for half the stuff.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup, no kidding :) They'll charge you $50 for a frag of brown zoos around here! I love your tank by the way. Those blue zoos in your banner, are they from Kenny? They are awesome!!

I have that natural soundmaker behind my tank, it's pretty cool to hear the wave sounds.:)

Do you ever use it for that or do you just hear the radio with that thing?

Definitely for the natural sounds :) It's the beach room... gotta have the beach sounds... have you seen my mural on page 2? :) I was going for a "sliding door" view.... even though it's just a closet door. :)

Yeah I saw it, looks great, im gonna try to make my room look like the beach(or tropical) when I move too, the bad thing is I live in an apartment(and will be moving to another apartment sometime) so I can't paint anything.

Still waiting on my SPS frags... also waiting on an auto top system from Californiareefs.com...

However, I have found an interesting discovery in my tank!!... I think I have a hitchiking anemone!? It apparently hitchhiked on an eagle eye frag I got from B16... I'm not 100 percent sure it's an anemone, but it looks like one... it's only about 1/8th an inch in diameter and has small finger like tentacles. The zoo's around it seem to have been stung by it because they look like they're in bad shape in the adjacent areas near the speculated anemone. Anyone know if B16 keeps anemones? (sp?)

I'll try to post pics soon.

Went to my home town of Jacksonville, FL with my wife... Still here actually :) And I went to two different SW LFS's... and am I amazed! The second one I went to is the most beautifully set up one I have ever seen, and it had me drooling... thank God they had filters, or they'd be contaminated with my spit/drool. :)

Anyways, I finally found POM POM CRABS!!!!!!! They were 30 bucks at the LFS, but I got one!... yes I know that was steep, but I've been wanting one for a long time now... and have never been able to find them in Columbia, SC.... finally got the little booger!!! With two anemones!!! Also got some hard to get nassarius snails (hard to get in cola.sc as well).

I hooked up the Kent 2.5 gallon doser and find that a drop at an interval of 1 per 14 seconds matches the evaporation rate quite well. The only problem I have found is that the plastic rolling switch that controls the flow sucks. I hope that the plastic air tube restricters work on these puppies... bought a pack at the Jax. Petco. I guess I'll really find out how well it works when I get home... that includes the Kent Aquadoser.

Anyways, that's the news for now. :)

Ok, got home yesterday evening... only to find that my Kent stopped dripping... my water level was down about an inch... so it must have stopped only for a day or so. Trying to figure out if it's because I left the little cap on... does anyone know if you should have the little spout capped or not? Common sense tells me it shouldn't be on, however the directions don't say anything about the little cap. I would think that the dripping water would need to be replaced with air(via open little cap), otherwise a suction/vacuum would develop inside the dose reservoir.

Needless to say, I did bring the water level back up gradually... and everything in the tank was fine.

I was ectstatic when finally adding my pom pom crab and my supplemental nass. snails. I sat there for probably an hour watching him wave his arms in the water... while my wife and I volleyed ideas of names for him/her. Starting the name game at "Kung-Fu"/"Tai-chi"...because of it's almost martial arts style of arm movement.... I finally stopped at the simple name "Cindy"... because, well, it's a sexy cheerleader name. (insert big-cat purr/growl)

I'm including some pics or that unidentified anemone that's about a quarter of an inch in diameter... If someone can id it I'd be really grateful.

anemone.jpg

Here is a macro pic of "Cindy"... she's so sexy...

cindy.jpg

Here is a farther shot, with Krusty (the clown), as usual, trying to hog picture space.

cindykrusty.jpg

That big pic with Cindy the crab is great! Very surreal looking...

Also I like your painted beach, that's great stuff!

Nice tank, I have held back on mine, I think I have a total of $300 or so in mine and my 1.5gal hex was a freebie!

I believe the anemone is the MOJANO. I removed one from my tank after learning that they can litterally double in number overnight, nightly. However, many people have kept them for months and years w/o them ever multiplying. I would keep an eye on them(did you have 2 to sart with?) and try to keep excess food to a minimum. I assume that if there is an abundanc of food they will exploit that by multiplying until they have reached the point where they have peaked, like local deer populations.

I also am looking to putting a pom pom crab in my 2.5 does that pose a problem in a 2.5? I heard that they sometimes drop there pom poms when the molt or even when they split? Any suggestions guys?..I do have coral in my tank..

I haven't had any problems with the pom pom crab's anemones... Cindy hasn't dropped one yet or molted so far so I haven't seen any after-effects of that... but then I've never read about anyone's pom pom crab loose anemone actually surviving apart from the crab. I'm sure it can happen, but haven't read anything like that yet. Also, from what I've read, pom pom's have a variety of different type anemones they hold... so the kind of anemone will most likely affect the kind of "havoc" it potentially can induce. In my tank, I can honestly say that the hermit crab does more "damage" to the corals than the pom pom crab. The hermit just bulldozes anything in it's path... clumsy fellow, smacking anything near it with its oversized shell. While the pom pom finds one spot to sit in, and does her cheers. Cindy, does move around... but most of the time I just see her sitting in the spot she's in, waving her pom poms.

As for the SPS coral, I'll try to post a pic or so tonight... I did augment my 36 watts of PC with my old 20 watt coralife... so now I've got 56 watts on my 2.5... hoping that will be enough to keep some color on the SPS..

Yes, the unwanted happened... I had to somewhat reaquascape my tank to accommodate my new Hydor 400 II power head. I took out a chunk of live rock, and rearranged the remaining LR in the tank. Not sure if it will be liked by all, but it's the best I think I could do with what I had... Oh yeah.. I have an arch now in my tank because of it... also more room for some sps corals if I desire later... (or places to mount frags of my SPS). I bought the hydor to add more turbulence, since the HOB AC300 alone was only providing flow. Now, with the new power head, I can stare at my GSP and watch them get "blasted" with random shots of water movement.

Originally posted by bluebastion

I unfortunately have some bad news to give though... Homey never really ate any... there were myriads of mysids in my tank as well as pods...I eventually tried marine cuisine, and he never took...  he thinned out quite a bit when I finally noticed, and tried to do what I could to save him.

Yellow clown gobies are known to only eat acropora polyps - and also build their home in acroporas (a PITA for those with large SPS-dominated tanks - their acroporas are not healthy, and it's almost impossible to catch the little guys).

Green Clown gobies don't exhibit this behaviour - mine's been fine since June when I got it - It eats pods, I love watching it get a big pod - it's like a lion attacking an antelope ;)

yes and no... I'll be upgrading to a 20L, or 30L... so this is a future thing. But I will be trying out the 150 for my current tank.. of course set higher up than the norm. I know I'm pushing the limits... but if you haven't noticed... that's what my tank is all about.

Ottmar Liebert... he's a pretty famous Flamenco Guitarist. :) I've had the CD since '96.... wow I'm getting old. I was 16 when I bought it... visiting "Hot"lanta during the '96 Olympics.... those were the days....

Thanks for the compliments... that was my first movie.... I probably couldn't have done it if Microsoft Movie Maker wasn't so intuitive.

Archived