SaltCritters.com

My 2.5 AGA, will update often!

bluebastion

bluebastion

I've posted pics on my aquarium in the beginners' forum, here:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=61929

Yes I'm a noob :P

Anyways, here are some pics of my 2.5 now. Had a mini cycle last week with a diatom bloom... but all is well now. Water quality has been great, the only thing I've had to do is get the ph up which is fine now.

I'll update this thread as things progress.

This is my live rock now! Green coraline seems to be the dominant algae on my live rock... and yes it's coraline...

LPIC0006.jpg

Here is another pic of the bottom left hand corner of my tank with a blue hermit chillin.

LPIC0007.jpg

Here is a pic of my AC 300 Fuge Mod with my week old cheato (some spell it chaeto)

LPIC0005.jpg

Full frontal shot of rock work (went for reef wall look). I'll be getting a nimble soon to replace the fat magfloat. Also I'll be getting corals from B16A2NR, tomorrow or next day

For the frag pack, see: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=62273

LPIC0008.jpg

Old school BZ in back... my beach room (gotta get reminded of Jacksonville, FL since I'm stuck in "po'dunk South Carolina" right now. :/)

LPIC0010.jpg

Tell me what you guys think please... :D

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ur live rock is pretty nice. alota definition with all those small bumps. U could probably use a little less live rock. but overall a great beginning tank! I think u should upgrade to a 5g though =)

bluebastion

Already ordered one! :) Mag float sucks!

I know you can't see it from the top, but there is quite a bit of room in the front, between rock and glass. The way the rock is, it's wide on the bottom and skinnies to the top. So there is actually plenty of water in there... not to mention the added water with the ac300 fuge! :)

that tank is stuffed with rock! like the Aquaclear fuge. got the same setup on a 40g but using the 110 size. long live cheap hob filter fuges!:P

bluebastion

Here's some new pics with the frag pack I got! :) I recieved them around noon time during my lunch break from work. Every frag has atleast one blooming polyp...however I had to rubberband the neon gsp's to the rock... only 3 out of the dozen of heads have opened up so far. Also the fire and ice are taking their time openning, that even the sun coral is beating it to the punch. The rest of the frags are doing quite nicely. The blues aren't so blue either.... but I am satisfied with the shipment as a whole. Enough typing... more pics:

LPIC0022.jpg

Here are the shy neons

LPIC0023.jpg

Purple people eaters?

LPIC0031.jpg

The beautiful eagle eyes:

LPIC0024.jpg

Green Galaxias:

LPIC0026.jpg

bluebastion

Bonus Frag? What is this? Came with a hitchhiking feather duster though! :D

LPIC0028.jpg

Don't know what this is either... maybe these are the blues?

LPIC0032.jpg

Fire and Ice still having trouble openning:

LPIC0030.jpg

Lastly, Sun Coral... phew!:

LPIC0029.jpg

Next I am hoping to add a clown goby and a pom pom crab. Anyone know of good "branching" tree like corals for the corners of my tank? Xenia looks nice, but I've read they grow like weeds... :/

LPIC0020.jpg

Looks great. That tank is really taking shape. I just added some xenia to my 2.5, I recommend it with the warning that you will probably have to frag it often.

Hey loocking good, a word of caution though. DON'T GET A CLOWN GOBY!!! They lke to lay on corals, and there skin secreats a poisonus mucuss and it will literaly bleach the coral. I have ad one, and it killed several of my corals. a Pair of Neon-Gobies would be better.

And a Pom-Pom crab...why? They have anenomes on them that they use to sting therepreay, and in a small tank, will mostlikly sting your coral.

God Luck!

bluebastion

hmmmm... would a tiny clown fish work? My LFS say that I can trade them in for smaller ones as they grow. I just want something that will rub and lay on the corals actually.

The Neon Gobies will lay on the corals also.

And baby clowns, I had mine for 4 weeks, and they have doubled in size. When they are small, the grow the fastest.

bluebastion

ah I just gave in and got a clown goby... may get a neon later though. This is the first I have heard of them bleaching polyps so I'll give them a try anyways... My yellow clown goby is very shy right now unfortunately... he hides in the back where there are no polyps. Maybe it will just take time for him to adjust. BTW I bought a shroom and a ric today as well. I'll post another pic soon!

Nice pics, your and your frags look like their opening up nicely too. The green bonus frag you recieved are electric greens. They fell to the bottom my my system for a week and lost a little color. Give them time and they will electric.

A word of caution on the Galaxea placement. They can, and do, extend tentacles up to about 10 - 12". You donlt want that thing near anything you consider delicate, trust me. The frags all look good though!

bluebastion

Here's some new update pics with two shrooms I picked up and a yellow clown goby... now I just need my pom pom crab.. grrr.. lfs is charging $20 for one... does that sound about right?

As for the galaxias(sp?) I already moved them to the lower left hand corner... I know they grow like weeds (making it harder to cut back later when in the corner) and I've read about their tentacles... so I placed them in the corner... the water flows from the front to the back... rounding the corners. Tentacles should flow the same way... away from the front and middle. Thanks for the heads up though.

LPIC0049.jpg

sun coral at full "bloom"

LPIC0050.jpg

the two shrooms:

LPIC0038.jpg

LPIC0039.jpg

Anyone know what those shrooms are?

Last pic is the best pic I could get of the goby... sorry it kinda sucks. He speeds away every time I try to get a pic... however when he's out and I have no camera in hand, he just sits and watches me... I can't wait to get a picture of him on a coral. Oh and one more thing. I named him "Homey" after "Homey the Clown"... if you don't know what I'm talking about, I must be getting old.

LPIC0046.jpg

"Homey don't play dat!"

very nice shrooms. Having a similar setup, I am interested in how often you test water parameters and have to do water top offs. I test weekly after my friday water changes to make sure everything went well, but I also have little bioload right now.

bluebastion

Well I test twice a week... more often with ph... always gets low. Top off is everyday, sometimes twice a day with walmart distilled. And I do water changes with Nature's Ocean.

same here with the Nature's Ocean, great stuff. I typically dont have much evaporation, and my water parameters always test properly, so I only top off mid week. What kind of heat do you have with the 20W coralife? I thought they ran fairly cooly. I have a 2x18w jbj fixture but surprisingly my tank never gets over 81C. Sorry for the questions, I dont get lots of feedback on my thread hahaha. Maybe when I have pics of my first zoos when they get in.

bluebastion

:) Well I get decent heat from the Coral life... I think that's only part of why my tank runs hot at times.... still trying to stabilize it... been running a fan in the room... the room the tank is in is warmer than the rest of the house.. so that's the main reason why it runs hot (I think). Other than that, everything looks fine... btw, my scarlett just molted! I'd like to order the Jebo 11" Odyssea... the light fixture has legs so it sits higher... right now my corallife's hood is sitting on some styrofoam pieces placed on the edges for some air flow. :P

Getting zoos eh? I'll trade some frags with you via priority mail... I've got a small frag piece with almost 8 eagle eye zoos.... I'm looking for true red or true blues. We're only one state away from each other too :)

After I get everything settled in I would definitely be up for frag swapping. Im ordering some fire and ice, pinks, and hopefully some blues...so we can probably work something out. If you decide you want some xenia, let me know, I have a feeling cutting it back is going to be a full time job soon.

there are actually a lot of people in NC and SC around here that trade/sell corals. I would love to have enough nice zoos and rics to trade around...hopefully soon.

Archived