inTank Media Baskets

g0tfish's 50g Oceanic Cube(ish)

g0tfish

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well since my last update, i finished plumbing and even put in my sump and and stuff. I did run into a couple problems though.

1. The rio pump my friend let me borrow crapped out on me so i had to order a new one right away. I got a quiet one 4000 from petsolutions for $67 shipped, which was the best price i could find from online vendors.

2. Diatom outbreak! I knew i was going to cycle, but during the first week everything seemed ok. So far, my nitrates are at 5-10, which isnt that bad, and ammonia at .25-.5 which also isnt bad. I hope to get thee freaking diatoms out asap. Been making me not want to care about my tank, lol.

So yes, my new pump will arrive friday and then i will have pics and everytyhing! Btw... my tank looks stocked already. All the stuff from my 15g has like packed all of the sand bed up and most of the mid section. I might hafta redo rock work to hold more stuff ??? Also, i think i am going to hit up fishinthebag tomorrow, a wholsaler of some sort? They say they are open to the public on fridays only, but im doubtful of their selections. Wish me luck!

matthewruno

Hey -

If you wanted to get rid of your Rio 2500, since you seemed to not be happy with it, I would HIGHLY recommend the PanWorld 50PX pump. It's 590 GPH, and it's a fantastic pump. It's pretty quiet, and I can't think of any reason it wouldn't make you 100% happy with your pumping capabilities. If you want more power, PanWorld makes pumps all the way up into the 1000's of gallons per hour.

...my 15 gallon viaaqua didn't need one THAT strong for SPS though...

Ouch the price is kind of out of my league. Thanks for the input though. I ended getting a Quiet One 4000. It puts a good 1000 some gph + my scwd + loss = around 750ish gph. I promise pics tonite =)

• 3 weeks later...

An update.

Fish:

I bought 3 Bangaii Cardinals from Jeff's Exotic, and all 3 had internal parasites. Aint that a b!tch! They all died within 3 weeks, because i was too late to spot it. One of my clowns recently had signs of internal parasites (pooping white crap) so i fed it garlic soaked food and hes doing fine now. I also had a run in with an ich infested yellow tang. It was from an LFS and it was only 15 bucks, so i thought id get it. I guess i really didnt see the guy that clearly at the store because when i took it home and started acclimating, i saw it was covered wit ich! so i brought it back and got store credit.

Corals and inverts:

My corals have been doing great and thriving in the tank. I picked up a few things at Jeff's Exotic (galaxy, RBTA, crocea, torch, favia, favites) and they are doing great. My favorite is the... all of them :) My RBTA gave me a scare couple weeks ago. It was small and receded for like 2 days. I fed it silversides for a couple days and it ended up ok. It moved once to teh back also, so annoying, but i got it back in the front where it belongs!

So yea. Thats my update. Im also dosing kalk, it seriously is the best. I see sooo much coralline growth, its blowing my mind. My digita is also growing like crazy because of it. Im happy :) Here are some pics

CIMG3444.jpg

CIMG3433.jpg

CIMG3432.jpg

CIMG3445.jpg

CIMG3447.jpg

CIMG3448.jpg

CIMG3450.jpg

awsome meat coral, Iv been looking for a nice one. O I would move that torch alittle, they can send out some long ass sweepers and they are mean. lookin great. you really put the coral in there quick.

-greg

Thanks phergus. The meat i got was really cheap, $20 so i snatched it quick. Ive also been watching my torch for sleepers, but they have been pretty tame lately. It stung up my favia pretty nice, but left my clam nd zilla shroom alone. Man... im really stresing bout my clam right now, i accidentally dropped a digi frag in its mouth and i couldn get it out in time :(

yea I read that, if its all the way in him I dont know what will happen, hope its ok tho. Damn I wish I could get a $20 meat. But I'm takin some acro frags in to the LFS some time soon so hopefully I can get my hands on something nice.

Archived