Top Shelf Aquatics

g0tfish's 50g Oceanic Cube(ish)

g0tfish

I thought the same thing with the "sponsors." I thought you were a drunk. All kidding aside, nice tank- I hate you.:P

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My light is about 6" above the water. My tank is 20" deep. Is there too much light in my tank? I know some people keep it at 8"-10" above but im not sure at what depth. What do u guys think?

I think you'll be fine as far as livestock goes, but you may experience increased temps and evaporation rates. Try blowing a fan across the water if you want to keep it that close.

Oh yeah, another thing is that when your lamp is that close you can get splashes on the uv glass, but that can easily be wiped off.

Thanks belowH2O. My temperature is pretty stable during the last... 3 or so days its been up. I think its because its in a large room and on wood flooring next to tile. Its constant at 80 degrees!

Evap is ok so far, but i think after i add the sump/fuge itll get a lil worse. I top off about 4 cups the last couple days.

O yea if u havent seen the pics and noticed, i put some zoos and a couple emerald elephant ear shrooms. I wonder if theyll survive the cycle :

EDIT: Sump is coming this friday! its the eReef sump with overflow box. I think i will b getting atleast 1000 gph from the overflow. The return will be a quiet one 4000 to scwd =)

Ok, if you guys havent seen my CSS for sale, please consider it if ur in socal. I lowered the price to $75. It is a great skimmer and i am only getting rid of it because i need an upgrade.

On another note. I already purchased a new skimmer! Its a EuroReef RS5-2! It is rated for 75g which is exactly what i have, but i was advised that it was a wiser choice than the CSS 125 Model. I am really excited about it, since i have heard sooo many great things about EuroReef skimmers. I will have pics of it soon =)

Big day today. Got all my plumbing work done. Im surpised that it only took me 2 trips to Home Depot too. Plumbing actually cost me around $45 which is a little more than i expected, but hey i cant complain. PVC primer is so damn toxic, i say skip the Purple Haze, get the purple primer. After 20 mins of gluing my U-tubes, i felt like i just smoked 2 joints of that stanky stanky stuff. But chyea, i recommend a SARS mask while doing it just for all you first timers ;)

I got a EuroReef 5-2 Skimmer. Its my upgraded skimmer from my CSS 65. I was gonna get the CSS 125 but i was convinved that the EuroReef was a better choice.

The sump and overflow cost me an arm and a leg, but i love it! Hopefully everything will be up and running by ... lets say MONDAY! O yea, heres some coral eye candy for u guys ;)

CIMG3349.jpg

Plumbing parts. I know i know, ugly glueing job, but i will sand it off later.

CIMG3351.jpg

Sump and stuff

CIMG3352.jpg

FTS for u guys =)

CIMG3353.jpg

My show piece shroom rock.

CIMG3354.jpg

Yumas Rics

Looking good. What do you think of the SCWD? I am probably going to pick one up.

Looks very clean. Keep it up.

Thanks. Right now i am borrowing a friends Rio 2500 (i think) as a return pump. Its rated at like 700+ and after headless probably around 500 gph in my tank. I am going to be getting a Quiet One 4000 which is rated at about 1000 gph (around 800 after loss).

So right now i am not really sure about the SCWD as in my final setup. My whole plumbing is built around that sucker though, so if anything goes wrong im going to be ####ed =). I have read great reviews about it though, so we'll see when i get it up and running.

well the scwd will butit another 100 gph at least, but from waht I understand they still work really well fr what they do

Oh damn. I didnt think loss from the SCWD would be that bad. I sorta forgot about it. O well i could always add another pump... i guess.

yea, I have though about getting one for the functionality but they have a good bit of loss. yo'll still be good with those 620s in there wont you?

Aw yea.. shucks...:( i just wanted more flow. I probably dont even need it, but i dont want to limit my options. Plus i dont want dead spots in my tank. What do you think about getting rid of dead spots? Another Seio or powerhead lower in the tank? Maybe with a spraybar? coooooool B)

yea doin something like that to get red of the numerous dead spots in my tank, I was gonna go with the 620 like you have but I think it would be too much flow so i'm gona just go with a maxi jet or somehting

Plumbing really does suck.

My temporary pump which is a Rio 2500 (i think) is horrible! I cant complain though, my friend was nice enuff to let me borrow it. But yea, i seriously tried getting it to for for an hour! First it would work, then it wouldn, then it would. I got eletricuted twice! *sigh* I cant wait to get my own pump. For now though, my tank is still sumpless.

I wouldn't trust the RIO to begin with. Have heard to many stories of them failing and leaking oils into the tank.

~Brian

liar...ur sump isn't up yet booy!

oh crap...i don't even have my tank up ;)

Archived