Coral Vue Hydros

Clam Yes or no?

oldred67ford

oldred67ford

Hey guys i have a 10g up and running with a ten gal sump. The tank has been running for a year now with no losses. The water quailty is awsome and there is tons of life all over from worms to pods to everything inbetween. I am waiting on my new light that is a 130w coralife lunar light. 50/50 bulbs in it. Would 13w a gallon be enough to house any type of clam? or am i out of luck? I really don't want to ad MH because i'm saving for one on a 49g i'm setting up. I would be able to move the clam to the bigger tank once it out grew the nano but i was just curious. Thanks

~RIchard

fluidimagery

If you chose a low light clam you should be alright. I had a Corcea in a 12g nano with 92watt PC but didn't have much luck and I wound up donating it back to the LFS. A Deresa should be alright but they grow fast... but maybe you could move it to the 49gal once you get the MH.

Croceas can NOT survive under PC. Maximas are pushing it... Gigas, maybe. Derasas can do well under PC's, as long as you change the bulbs regularly (every 6 months), BUT they'll quickly outgrow a 10-gallon tank.

Originally posted by Caesar777

Croceas can NOT survive under MH. Maximas are pushing it... Gigas, maybe. Derasas can do well under PC's, as long as you change the bulbs regularly (every 6 months), BUT they'll quickly outgrow a 10-gallon tank.

huh? did u mean to say croceas can NOT survive under PC?? I hope so.

Lol! Yes, I meant can't survive under PC, or anything but MH. (Fixed it!)

oldred67ford

Alright well that helps alot. "BUT they'll quickly outgrow a 10-gallon tan"

ok well like i said i have a 49g that will have a mh and why i'mm here what would you recomend for lighting a 49g in able to hold a varity of things from clams to hard corals

Thanks again

~Richard

That's something to go research--there's certainly no single answer.

Yeah... If it's a really long, panoramic tank then I'd suggest 2 - 250watt MH pendants (or a 2 bulb MH + T5 actinic suspended fixture like Tigahboy has), but if it's a shorter, deeper tank then go with a 400watt MH pendant. That's just my opinion if you want clams @ the bottom and SPS in the tank. It'll power-bleach any softies you have, though. :

I have a 10 gallon reef with a beautiful blue maxima clam aout 2.5 inches long. I have a quad pc lamp (96 watts). The clam is doing excellent. New growth on the rim of the shell is clearly visible. You can keep maximas quite well under this lighting. I have kept clams under less with no problems.

Indulge!!!

Generally speaking.....Clams require higher light systems (T5 or VHO in shallow tanks, and MH in deeper tanks).

That being said, people have done it with PC's Danano's old 10ga and Brooklyn Johnny are perfect examples. Like with SPS, both of these reefers were RELIGIOUS about water quality and stabilty.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by mproia

I have a 10 gallon reef with a beautiful blue maxima clam aout 2.5 inches long. I have a quad pc lamp (96 watts).  The clam is doing excellent.  New growth on the rim of the shell is clearly visible.  You can keep maximas quite well under this lighting.  I have kept clams under less with no problems.

Indulge!!!

clams that are less than 3" rely on phyto, which explains why you can keep one.

I do not feed phyto, and if you are implying that the algae I scrape off my glass is enough to sustain a clam I think that is a bad assumption. Also my fluval 104 would remove quite a bit of this material. I don't know the actual length of the clam, but I would say it is not more than 3 inches in length. I do believe that the zooanthellae are providing this clam with food.

Smaller clams may depend on feeding, but if the light is potent enough (without being too much) and close enough, then they don't need it. They're just more susceptible to starving than larger clams, which have enough zooxanthellae to survive on light alone.

At 2.5" they're starting to transition toward more reliance on light, but like Caesar just said, they're more susceptible to starvation than a 4" clam.

Yup. That's why beginners shouldn't start out with a little one-incher; they're cheaper, but they can be much tougher to keep.

bonecrusher71

Caesar is correct i kept a Derasia(spelling)in 5.5 and had to move it due to growth issues moved it to a 20g long in a few months.

Archived