Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Acrylic Nanocube & Launch of the Nanocustoms Cube

ccjung

Ive also been thinking about a 12g Cube but got discouraged by the crack stories.Like Reefer Madness if I got a cube I would want to know if you could ship to the UK.

Also put me down for a free Beta-Testing if there is one.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol, why pay when you can get the same thing for free?:D

Seriously tho, i would pay for it if the price is good enough , if I decide on restarting nanoreefing and a cube.

I too am very interested in a ~24g version and am dying to know a timeframe. I have a 90 that I am considering selling and just going with a nano. Unfortunately I wanted to do all this the week I'm on vacation, which is 8/8.. and I'm sure they won't be ready that soon. Darn!

I was very excited to get the JBJ 24 until I read about all this cracking business.

What to do, what to do...

That acrylic nano is going to look like hell in no time though

scratched up from cleaning time.

make me a glass one Chris and I'll buy, but acrylic will not stand the test of time.

putz - you're thinking of "old acrylic". New acrylic is stronger than glass, resists scratches and doesn't yellow like "old acrylic" used to.

There's an LFS by me that's had an acrylic tank setup for over 5 years. I've been in there a lot and have seen their help scrubbing the hell out of that tank. I've never seen a scratch on it.

SH - When Kirk and the Enterprise crew slingshotted back in time to pick up the Humpback Whales, Scotty traded the formula for the new Acrylic for . . .

Seriously - just advances in polymers over the years have resulted in stronger materials that are more scratch resistance. A quick search showed that manufacturers are molecularly crosslinking materials, some are including hydro carbons and other materials to improve strength and scratch resistance. Unfortunately for Acrylic, there's the reputation that it's scratch prone, and that it changes colors with age, because the first acrylics did just that.

I'm not in the Office right now, I'll look into it deepaer tomorrow and let you know.

It'll be a scratchy mess kids.

It's too small for acrylic.

Sorry Chris but I simply don't think you are on the right track here. Most of us are willing to pour big money into tiny tanks as you well know. Why not look into glass?

shao-lin nano

Can you imagine how back ordered this tank is going to be once it's ready for sale? I'm ready to put in a deposit so I can be guaranteed one!!!

Let's not be impatient and let Chris do his job because we all know it'll be amazingly problem proof unlike the tanks we've seen JBJ turn out.

Update:

Ive been working the numbers and an acrylic version to "bandaid" a 250 tank may not be as feasible as I'd like.

I will be coming out with a formal announcement later this week.

Chris

cindyandjosh

just a thought has anyone been able to add a UV sterliver to there nano cube, I was thinking about trying it but just want some advice

• 3 weeks later...

Ive been looking all over for an acrylic version but nobody sells a good one. I looked at CPRs 6 gallon but looks like the lighting sucks and they are a little high on costs. I would definately like a 12g or so.

Ive been looking all over for an acrylic version but nobody sells a good one. I looked at CPRs 6 gallon but looks like the lighting sucks and they are a little high on costs. I would definately like a 12g or so.

Seanewb-

I havent abandoned this idea, i just don't know if its feasible to invest more energy/resources into the acrylic bottom given the prices i have been quoted for their manufacture.

With CurrentUSA's and other's future offerings, I want to let the dust settle before I make a decision about the direction I want to go with the JBJ line.

The cost of the acrylics will be substantial given the fact that it is likely the acrylic will cost nearly as much as the entire setup.

It begs the question: "Do I really like this hood that much that I would spend some more money to "replace the tank".

The "supercube" is still full speed ahead, but im waiting for some clarity before going on with the JBJ replacement unit.

For those who are still interested, check out the "nanocustoms news 2.0" thread for general pricing. The 12g pricing should be about 30% less, but still a big investment given the setup's initial cost.

Not abandoned.. just put on hold while I make some key decisions.

Thanks for the support

Chris

Archived